ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Scott Baja
el semental negro
 
Scott Baja's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Missoula MT
Oddometer: 232
Thumb

I like the Gobi boxes. The hinged lid can be propped open making camping easier, instead of having to remove the lid.(Some alum are also hinged) Water and dust proof, act like cooler if your carrying food and beverage. Unlike alum, it doesnt mark or stain items. The width hasnt been any problem. Strapping gear such as a sleeping bag to it is not as convenient, although you can order tie down mounts from Heppco Becker. Also, being lockable, I put my gps and pistols there when Im away from the bike. (Most alum would also lock)
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Av8rPaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nevada
Oddometer: 405


This is a pic of my multi day set up. The Gobi's swallow up tons of gear including my fairly big Coleman fuel stove (which I carry because it's been toted on bikes in my family since 1970) MSR bottle, extra tubes, all kinds of stuff. The big 90L drybag holds tent, sleeping bag, pillow, and a huge 3" thick self inflating sleeping pad that is like staying at the hotel. The dry bag is only about 9" across and weighs about 22 lbs for the entire "motel". And it's slightly narrower than the panniers.

Not that a pic of a 950 with Gobi's was needed, just loved that bike.
__________________
Paul
2012 Triumph Scrambler
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #33
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 2,336
I have the Godis, which came with the bike. I think they're too wide, so I'm working on converting some Pelican 1550s to mount to the bars. I like the look of aluminum, but I tend to think plastic will survive better than aluminum in a crash. Have a look at what happens when you hit a rock or two with pretty good aluminum panniers: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=32
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann
"Gravity is a very fickle mistress." -- Unknown
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baja View Post
I like the Gobi boxes. The hinged lid can be propped open making camping easier, instead of having to remove the lid.(Some alum are also hinged) Water and dust proof, act like cooler if your carrying food and beverage. Unlike alum, it doesnt mark or stain items. The width hasnt been any problem. Strapping gear such as a sleeping bag to it is not as convenient, although you can order tie down mounts from Heppco Becker. Also, being lockable, I put my gps and pistols there when Im away from the bike. (Most alum would also lock)
The marking and staining is not an issue with the Jesses, powder coated inside and out, the lids can stay open like the Gobi's.

Gobis work well with loops (see below), camping gear one side, kriega bag the other. Don't get me wrong, I like my Gobi's and have crashed with them, but I think the Jesses are much, much better. When I next shop for hard panniers, this is what I will get.



__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
Tiggersteve
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 42
looking at those bashed up Touratechs it's hard to justify ally boxes but i guess the idea is they are bendable and weldable if you are a long way from home,
no one has mentioned or shown the consequences of crashing with the Gobis???
I guess these days there are good quality plastic glues available but only if you can join the breaks?
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ColoradoBigfoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 113
Although I choose to sleep in a hotel on multi-day rides, I purchased the pelican cases w/ HB mounts from the guy in Boulder...Caribu?
Have had no issues with them......Hold plenty for a four day ride and are also a bit cheaper than the other options, like KTM stuff.

ColoradoBigfoot screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 01:42 PM Reason: ADDED IMAGE
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post
Wish I could post a photo of the Kriega/RotopaX set up,,,, (no photo bucket account, too cheap).

Problem solved!



Thanks for sending me the photo, Wantajustride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academy View Post
I like the looks of the those Kriegas and the rack accepts RotopaX canisters
In that case (no pun!), here's a close-up of the same system on a 690 Enduro with Touratech racks for ya!



Cheers,


Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
EZ300
Studly Adventurer
 
EZ300's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: ARIDZONA
Oddometer: 982
Swapped out and lowsided on asphalt that had recently had a new fog seal applied. I slid on my side case and crash bars for 45 feet on asphalt.
I had to replace the latch in the first pic as it was ground down and would not work.





Notice the case ground through the first (outside wall) layer. Inside layer (second wall) still intact and waterproof. I think hard cases would have been severly bent and non functioning afterwards.
__________________
EZ
AMRA
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #39
Academy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: North of Some, South of a Few
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Problem solved!



Thanks for sending me the photo, Wantajustride.



In that case (no pun!), here's a close-up of the same system on a 690 Enduro with Touratech racks for ya!



Cheers,


Michael


Lovin the orange crash bar on the 990R!
Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #40
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!
 
Xtremjeepn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: SaddleRock, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,912



__________________
06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 KTM 520 EXC
04 KTM 351 EXC
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #41
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
My Gobi's measured right at 42" wide. Has anybody thrown a tape on the other options mentioned here for comparison purposes?
Ours measures 37 inches wide, our left case is set out 1 inch to get around our spare fuel tank, thus they would only be 36 that they are advertised at.

We are running the Jesse Odysseys on our SE and love them, we ran Pelican 1550s on the DR's, the 31L Pelican 1550 weighs .75 kg heavier the the 41L Jesse locks, mountings and all ready to put on the bike.

The op wanted to know plastic or alloy so I won't worry about softies.

With the Odysseys these cleverly bring the weight in low and close to the centreline and do not stick out like a bus.

Having had several brands and types I am sold on Jesses, I have worked on Zegas after a GS 12 rolled and they were parallelogramed very badly and had split, although we have not binned on our new Jesses I know plenty of others who have in spectacular form and they have stood up far better, NOTHING is crash proof.

Jesses strength come from triangulation and folds and finish wise are powdercoated inside and out, also with the Odysseys you can adjust the postion of the case forward and backward 5 inches so you can play with the weight to suit your rising style or passenger etc.

That is our 2 cents worth, if you are looking to do hard core offroad consider Wolfman, if you are RTWing like us or traveling dirt and pavement with smaller offroad stick with hards.

This is our setup, although on and SE I would be happy to put up pics of any queries.

Cheers Andi





__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #42
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wantajustride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Peyton Colorado
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
Photobucket is free, at least for me!
Thanks Paul,,
I'll be checking into that hosting site.

I do agree with your point of view Andi. The Jesse's look great on the bike. The contours of the cases tuck in nicely.
Great bike setup for RTW travel you have there.
__________________
2012 KTM 690 R
2012 KTM 990R Adventure
2014 BMW GSAW
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"

Wantajustride screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 05:21 PM
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Av8rPaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nevada
Oddometer: 405
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Ours measures 37 inches wide, our left case is set out 1 inch to get around our spare fuel tank, thus they would only be 36 that they are advertised at.

We are running the Jesse Odysseys on our SE and love them, we ran Pelican 1550s on the DR's, the 31L Pelican 1550 weighs .75 kg heavier the the 41L Jesse locks, mountings and all ready to put on the bike.

The op wanted to know plastic or alloy so I won't worry about softies.

With the Odysseys these cleverly bring the weight in low and close to the centreline and do not stick out like a bus.

Having had several brands and types I am sold on Jesses, I have worked on Zegas after a GS 12 rolled and they were parallelogramed very badly and had split, although we have not binned on our new Jesses I know plenty of others who have in spectacular form and they have stood up far better, NOTHING is crash proof.

Jesses strength come from triangulation and folds and finish wise are powdercoated inside and out, also with the Odysseys you can adjust the postion of the case forward and backward 5 inches so you can play with the weight to suit your rising style or passenger etc.

That is our 2 cents worth, if you are looking to do hard core offroad consider Wolfman, if you are RTWing like us or traveling dirt and pavement with smaller offroad stick with hards.

This is our setup, although on and SE I would be happy to put up pics of any queries.

Cheers Andi





Your bike looks like Clark Kent after he exits the phone booth.
__________________
Paul
2012 Triumph Scrambler
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #44
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post
I do agree with your point of view Andi. The Jesse's look great on the bike. The contours of the cases tuck in nicely.
Great bike setup for RTW travel you have there.
And Frankly I think Andi Jesse's would survive much better in crash than my Gobi's. I have seen the two side by side. The Jesse's seem to me to be a much, much better box.
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #45
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
And Frankly I think Andi Jesse's would survive much better in crash than my Gobi's. I have seen the two side by side. The Jesse's seem to me to be a much, much better box.
Although yours is bigger than mine what you are saying is mine is better ... does Sharon know this

I promise to show photos WHEN our bike goes down cos it will .... hopefully not at big speeds.

I have to agree from an engineering perspective the Jesses are far better built for strength with the corners, folds and shorter sheet/panel sizes but as I said NOTHING is crash proof, see Ellens old Pelicans even with the Kiwi hardwood crash rail

This was on the RHS of Ellens bike at only 80 km/hr (50mphr) get off on the tarmac

__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014