Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^Agreed, and my point is it's January in the North Country, buyer interest is at it's lowest point and ca$h is king, whether you're in New England or New Brunswick.
My experience is that prices at cold-country dealerships firm up dramatically after the 1st of the year. They'll carry a bike for a couple months to have inventory ready for the 1st sunny/warm day in March when people come in and want a bike. It's Sept and Oct when the market is glutted (especially in a college town where kids are trying to make tuition) that you find the bargains.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,198
What dealership? The OP is looking at an ad in the local Buy-n-sell. Some guy wants to sell his bike in the dead of winter to get some loonies to pay off Boxing Day, and will certainly be willing to listen to a reasonable cash offer.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 693
meh...I'd rather find an SV650.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
MacMcMacmac
Idiots Avant!

Oddometer: 172
Offer him $2500. If he takes it, good for you. If he doesn't take it, good for you. That's all I'd spend on a bike that size, no matter what condition it's in or year it was made. It makes me shake my head when I hear of new 250cc twins being sold for over $5000.
MacMcMacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I don't know about Canadian prices. Here that is a $2000 bike max. But you would be hard pressed to find a better bike. I had a '95 for a couple of years, and foolishly traded it for a cruiser. It has plenty of power for normal riding, is totally freeway capable, and is WAY more comfortable than an EX500. It's a very simple air cooled engine with a 2 into 1 exhaust, and it has a centerstand. The engine is bulletproof. The whole line of small Suzuki twins GS400/425/450/500 are one of the most overbuilt motorcycle engines ever made. I put over 40,000 HARD miles on a 1980 GS450, and it still ran like new. It does have shim over bucket valve adjustment, but the valves never need adjusting. You cannot go wrong with the GS500E, unless you want something a lot more extreme, which also means a lot less comfortable as well. I could ride a GS500E all day, I wouldn't last 50 miles on an SV650.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #21
ZZ-R Rider OP
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 460
Thanx for all the replies folks ... am looking for an inexpensive, reliable Roadbike/Standard to replace my current '07 ZZ-R250 (EX250-H) ... not that there's anything wrong with my 'lil Kawi ... to the contrary, she's been an absolutley wonderful Bike ... but I essentially want something that will fullfil the same role as a thrify, comfortable commuter/runabout, but be better able to handle a bit of highway should I so choose. Thought about going back to a Cruiser ... which isn't completely out of the question (i.e. VT750C2 or RS), but the I think the nimbleness of the wee Ninja has spoiled me ... so, am thinking that the GS might be a good compromise. I'll be going to view the Bike this weekend and make up my mind after that.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
Jonesin
n00b

Oddometer: 8
My final 3 contenders were the EX500, GS500, but the winner was the SV650S.

I test rode a couple of each, and for the year (2002) the SV was leaps and bounds above the other 2. I bought my example in June last year, (my first year riding) and paid $3500. I drove from Ottawa to St. Catherine's to pick it up, and am extremely grateful for my choice.

Enough bike to keep me inspired for the next few years, light (just under 400 lbs dry), decent on gas (50-55 mpg consistently), reliable (I've put 28k kms on it last season), and forgiving enough to keep me out of trouble.

Best of luck with your decision.

Ed
Jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Paulcet
Invisible apparently

Oddometer: 17
I think the GS500 will serve your purposes quite well. The Canadian models were jetted slightly richer, I believe, than the US models. So take the carb complaints from us US people with a grain of salt... An inexpensive and fairly easy spring and shock swap would make the suspension nearly perfect.
Paulcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 998
I'm still commuting on my '02 nearly every day. It was my first bike and I will have had it for ten years in april. Good, solid, dead reliable, cheap to run bike.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have a 2006 GS500F. Thats the faired model. One of the easiest bikes I've ever worked on. Good community and parts availability. It's a standard, so it doesn't do anything really well but it can do anything. $100 for new springs a $40 for a different shock (check gstwins) make the bike great. I've had a few other bikes come through my garage but the GS500 is a constant. Keep the oil topped up and the valves in spec and the bike will roll on past 100k miles no problem. EX500 is a little faster but not as easy to work on. SV650 is probably a better choice if you don't want to know how to work on motorcycles.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #26
ZZ-R Rider OP
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 460
OK, so went and looked at the GS500E yesterday ... Bike is in super condition ... will need a new rear tire after this season, but that is to be expected with 8800km on the clock.

Couple of concerns ... the Bike is a bit on the tall side for me ... could only get balls of feet down, which would make backing this Bike up a bit of an issue ... especially with the slight forward lean to the bars. I know that aftermarket lowering links can be had for this model, but the bar clamps on the GS position the bars right over the tops of the fork tubes, so looks like lowering the front to match the rear might be a problem?

Anyone here ever dealt with that ... looking for potential solutions before making an offer on the Bike.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
The corbin seat is lower, or you could modify your stock seat over the winter with thinner / narrower foam toward the front to reduce your standover without impacting comfort too much.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #28
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,716
I'd look at some pics of E models. The tank looks like it might be an F model. The sticker continues like there was a fairing before. Bike coulda been an F that wrecked, and the owner did the F to E conversion. They didn't have naked 04's in the US.

GSTwin was a great resource when I had mine. I'd check it out before discounting it.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
Tinkerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
It's January.

In CANADA!

The seller will snap up the OP's $3000, and they'll both be happy.

Suzuki's made a version of that bike ever since they gave up on 2-smokes, and they have a well deserved reputation as a reliable, economical, competent, low-thrills bike.
And you don't get winter in CT?

My wife has an 06 with 9000 kms on it and the Carbs have not been an issue. We did upgrade the front fork springs and added Rox Riser which in turn meant we had to put on a longer brake hose, put on SW Motech engine guards, a Givi box on the back, a Givi windscreen, lowering links and dropped the front forks 3/4". We have done some lengthy tours with it and she loves it. She also has a K75 but does not use it very much as she says it's awkward at slow speeds.

For a 2004 it is overpriced at $3600, would offer $2750 and if you really need to have it do not pay more than $3000.

Good luck with the decision.

Cheers
Tinkerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerfreak View Post
And you don't get winter in CT?
Oh yes, but it's supposed to be a balmy +2 F tonight and a high of 18 tomorrow - I'm getting out the Speedo.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote