User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

Oddometer: 244
I guess I didn't make myself clear.

My main concern is having a mechanical failure, or something worse in the middle of nowhere where
I HAVE TO WALK on that particular stretch of highway to get to help...
which would only happen if I had no cell service there... and from what I have experienced of ATT, that is 99% chance that I won't hence, the comment about the EPIRB...

I could have 200 contacts in the area, but if I can't reach them by cell, I am completely shit out of luck.

I do not over-react to "sensationalist reports".
Never have and never will.

I traveled for ten weeks in the US by myself, and only felt really creeped out in one area, which, it turned out to be a "dead body dumping ground", unbeknown to me at the time...
The energy of that place and the situation I was in, late at night trying to find a campground was enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I absolutely KNEW what was going on even without knowing anything about crime statistics, hence, changed plans, since I didn't want to end up lost and out of gas in the dark.

I have taken enough martial arts classes to not really fear any kind of mugging... I know the pressure points and where to strike... I also know that a good dose of adrenaline makes an average person very very strong. But that is another thread...

However, as men, you generally do not have to worry about these things... such as I do...

What are the chances I can actually carry a firearm into Canada?
I would guess slim to none. That would be my simplest solution.

Even in the wild west in the US, you are not usually more than a four hour hike from someone who could help... as I understand, the further north I go, the less this would be the case...

Alright... I am off my soapbox for now...

Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,884
Your concern is well founded, but... the farther north and into the wilderness you get, the less likely you would have to walk any distance at all.

Breaking down on a freeway, you will be pretty much ignored by every driver who goes zooming past. But far from cities we tend to look out for one another to a much greater degree. A car with the hood up, a motorcycle stopped with the rider standing next to it, looking befuddled - those will almost certainly have the next vehicle to come along stopping to inquire about any problems. Over the years I have probably traveled just about every main road you might be on between your home and any part of Alaska, and traveled those miles in the wee hours of the morning, as I frequently ride all night long. There have been many times that it has been over an hour between one vehicle and the next along the Alcan, Cassiar, or Dalton Highways at those hours. But sooner or later another one comes along, and if I'm stopped alongside the road, the other vehicle will always stop to check on my welfare.

The point is, you never walk to get help up here as you would have to if you broke down near a city. You wait for help to come to you... and it will. It's hard for folks who live in urban areas to fathom this, but those of us who live in sparsely populated parts of the world are accustomed to it and take it for granted. It's an unwritten rule - you never pass by someone who might be in need of help without stopping to check on them. You may not be able to help with their problem, but you can at least relay a message to the next place that can.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

I appreciate that.

One weekend in Wisconsin, my friend's bike crapped out on her.

Can't even count how many people passed us, no less people on motorcylces...

Recently, I had three people stop in the hour I had to wait for a tow job here in North Carolina.

I guess it is more of a feeling that my ass is in th wind I don't like.

A long time ago,
I had, not one, but two flat tires on my truck in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico... but then I just started to unload my mountain bike, and this dude ended up giving me a ride...
a total stoner that made no sense, but I got where I was going.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
What are the chances I can actually carry a firearm into Canada?
I would guess slim to none.
I'd lean towards none.

And I'd definitely not recommend trying to sneak it across. Could cost you some time at an all-inclusive concrete resort.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...194626839.html
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

Yeah... I don't need that crap from the Canadians.

It is a PITA enough to comply with US laws.

I would never do that...

more just pondering.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 2,006
I just spent nearly 4 weeks roaming around BC, YT, and AK by myself riding to P.R. and backtracking through Prince George twice this past summer. No troubles whatsoever. Once you get into the wilderness, that's what the majority of the riders are doing; going solo.

Cell service. I use Sprint and never had service on any network. Not until Fairbanks. Luckily there are a lot of free WiFi spots along the way.

I didn't even carry bear spray the whole time. Only thing I had was a large camping hatchet in the panniers. At times I looped my 6" camp knife around my riding pants. I guess it's an intimidation factor but I really used it to prop the bike in soft soil.

The one thing I tried to do was camp in populated areas since I was alone. If a campsite wasn't occupied, I tried to find a hotel. Back in the CONUS, it's the opposite since I can bring my Austrian friend with me.

Breakdowns can be reduced by conducting preventative maintenance. Everyday before loading the bike down, I gave it a run through. Get to know your bike inside and out, standing on your head, and backwards. I managed to make it through the wilderness on blown fork seals and squeaking wheel bearings. Fortunately P.G. had a dealership in town and they just happen to have my seals. NAPA had the bearings.

I'm just a small guy, 5'4" and 145lbs and no one ever gave me any trouble. You're sure to come across other riders (riding or driving) who are willing to lend a hand. Every time I stopped just to stretch, drivers would honk and give me some sort of signal to see if I was ok. You'll be fine. I was concerned just like you before I left and all my friends thought I was nuts for not packing a firearm. I think television has ruined a lot of our perceptions about the world and other people. Why judge if you never been there? I prefer to stay away from the news because I know most of the world is better than that (not to say you'll never encounter and a--hole. There's just more of them packed inside populated areas ).
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Laros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:

. I would be really appreciative if any locals want to do that strectch as a co-rider... So any input is appreciated.

Charlotte
I'm contemplating a solo trip in July from Toronto to northern BC. My intended destination is Smithers BC where my daughter lives. (So I too am very aware of the Highway of Tears issue). Smithers is about 4 hours north of Prince George on the TransCanada highway on the way to Alaska. If our schedules align I would be pleased to accompany you for a section through BC.

PM me as your schedule is firming up if you would like to explore this further.

Larry

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Laugh

Come come !!! Can't wait to meet some riders ! So many are coming to ALASKA ...

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !

Alaska is out for me for now.

I can't really do the BMW purchase I would like to before this summer.

There is another thread on here... there seems to be a horde of people going up...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Wicked

Quote:
Alaska is out for me for now.

I can't really do the BMW purchase I would like to before this summer.

There is another thread on here... there seems to be a horde of people going up...
Aww come on. First tank is on me. :)//

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote