ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #271
Stealth Rider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
You're kidding right....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
That was horrid!
Go ahead and post ones you think sound better of similar model...
Stealth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #272
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,280
More and more, with higher costs of living, I'm thinking these bikes are the future.

If you do 2,000 miles a year, sunny w/e's, posing with mates, enjoying the power of big bikes, then maybe you won't get it.

And that's perfectly OK.

But if you do big miles, want to see your country or continent, and stay within a blue collar budget, you might need these bikes.

Any two-wheels is better than no two-wheels.

I've owned a CBR1100XX, a couple of BMW GS's, and a dozen bikes in between. I love big torque..

But huge cost-of-living rises are forcing me to downsize. I'll give up some bhp and torque just to continue my love of motorcycles, and travel on 2-wheels.

YMMV.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 04:32 PM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #273
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 27,047
I was daydreaming the other day about how long a set of good dual-compound sport touring tires would last on 50hp, since they I can get 15k mi front/ 10k mi rear out of a bike with 100hp...

Less is more, sometimes. I miss running a bike to redline in four gears, legally. If my GF's CX500C is any indication, I could not only get by, but have fun.

Grainbelt screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 03:18 PM
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #274
Gham
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gham's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Auburn Hills,MI.
Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Rider View Post
Go ahead and post ones you think sound better of similar model...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJloJfw7iA

I hope this works,this sounds better to me although having recorded before I understand how much sound equipment can have an effect on quality.
__________________
Member 6204

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #275
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Tennessee
Oddometer: 8,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
More and more, with higher costs of living, I'm thinking these bikes are the future.

If you do 2,000 miles a year, sunny w/e's, posing with mates, enjoying the power of big bikes, then maybe you won't get it.

And that's perfectly OK.

But if you do big miles, want to see your country or continent, and stay within a blue collar budget, you might need these bikes.

Any two-wheels is better than no two-wheels.

I've owned a CBR1100XX, a couple of BMW GS's, and a dozen bikes in between. I love big torque..

But huge cost-of-living rises are forcing me to downsize. I'll give up some bhp and torque just to continue my love of motorcycles, and travel on 2-wheels.

YMMV.
you are right on.

A buddy of mine decided he wanted a Harley. He didn't want to ride a "rice burner" any more. So he sold his big Suzuki and saved his pennies for 6 years until he finally could by a softtail. Not me. I wouldn't give up 6 years of riding for a softtail. I will ride what I can afford.

__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #276
Honesty
n00b
 
Honesty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 9
Is there an official wet weight on these little things yet? I'm heavily considering getting rid of my NT650 for one.

If it weighs around 350 or 370 then I just might pull the trigger. I'd like to get rid of carburetors... Plus this bike's peak figures seem to be pretty inline with my Hawk's tbh. I know my engine is bigger but it's a 25-year-old bike now. :(
Honesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #277
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer
 
EastBoundAndDown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by honesty View Post
is there an official wet weight on these little things yet? I'm heavily considering getting rid of my nt650 for one.

If it weighs around 350 or 370 then i just might pull the trigger. I'd like to get rid of carburetors... Plus this bike's peak figures seem to be pretty inline with my hawk's tbh. I know my engine is bigger but it's a 25-year-old bike now. :(
2003+ SV650. 364lbs dry. 71 peak RWHP. Fuel Injection.
__________________
"The only way I knew I didn't miss a turn off was the occasional side by side tracks where you could see evidence of massive acceleration and fun." - Cobra5150
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #278
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 27,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
Is there an official wet weight on these little things yet? I'm heavily considering getting rid of my NT650 for one.
CB500F is supposed to be 420 wet including a full 4 gal tank.

For comparison, Wiki says your NT650 is 412 wet with a 3 gal tank.

So, comparable. In fact, a gallon of gas is about six pounds, so they are damn near identical.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #279
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gryphon12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Carnation, WA USA
Oddometer: 1,333
Only street twin in the US today that's 378 lbs. wet is the new Ninja EX300R.

New Duke 690 Thumper weighs 352 lbs. wet.
__________________
1990 Honda NT-650 Hawk-GT

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #280
Honesty
n00b
 
Honesty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
2003+ SV650. 364lbs dry. 71 peak RWHP. Fuel Injection.
Ugh, does the SV650 really make that much power? Sheesh... I thought the Hawk was pretty close to that but I guess I was dead wrong. The SV really is an awesome little bike. Might actually bump it up above these new CBs now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
CB500F is supposed to be 420 wet including a full 4 gal tank.

For comparison, Wiki says your NT650 is 412 wet with a 3 gal tank.

So, comparable. In fact, a gallon of gas is about six pounds, so they are damn near identical.
Hmm, this has me thinking it wouldn't be much of a step forward so much as sideways. I'm in love with the CBR500's styling though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Only street twin in the US today that's 378 lbs. wet is the new Ninja EX300R.

New Duke 690 Thumper weighs 352 lbs. wet.
I like the Duke a lot as far as the numbers go, but I'd have to ride it first. Not crazy about the engine configuration. :\
Honesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #281
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I was daydreaming the other day about how long a set of good dual-compound sport touring tires would last on 50hp, since they I can get 15k mi front/ 10k mi rear out of a bike with 100hp...
I changed the stock BT020s on my 650R at 16-17k, rear still wasn't at the
wear bar.

__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #282
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 27,047
we've already established that you ride like a sissy.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #283
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
Is there an official wet weight on these little things yet? I'm heavily considering getting rid of my NT650 for one.

If it weighs around 350 or 370 then I just might pull the trigger. I'd like to get rid of carburetors... Plus this bike's peak figures seem to be pretty inline with my Hawk's tbh. I know my engine is bigger but it's a 25-year-old bike now. :(
In order to sell the 500s for riders in the new EU A2 class license tier the bike has to weigh a minimum of 175 kg or 385 lbs. This license class change effectively requires manufacturers that intend to sell bikes to riders less than 24 years old bring to market bikes that weigh 385 lbs or more curb weight ready-to-ride and have a maximum of 47 hp. Honda cannot ignore the huge UK and European market so the 500s are not going to weigh in under 385 lbs. Honda US says they weigh 420-430 lbs. depending on model.
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #284
dogjaw
plays well alone
 
dogjaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: between the Ozarks and the Ouachitas
Oddometer: 3,206
I've been following this thread as well S various others concerning the CB500, and have somehow missed two things:

Where does the CB redline? I rode the NC700x, was put off by the 6500 rev limiter, otherwise a nice bike...

And does it have enough electrical output to run auxiliary lighting, heated grips, etc? Thinking of getting a bike for escort duty, the CB, NC, weestrom, etc all being considered.
__________________
By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.
dogjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #285
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I've been following this thread as well S various others concerning the CB500, and have somehow missed two things:

Where does the CB redline? I rode the NC700x, was put off by the 6500 rev limiter, otherwise a nice bike...

And does it have enough electrical output to run auxiliary lighting, heated grips, etc? Thinking of getting a bike for escort duty, the CB, NC, weestrom, etc all being considered.
You didn't miss this information it just hasn't been known for sure yet as the bikes are not for sale yet and no in-depth review of the platform has been done yet.

I would guess from the general architecture of the engine (DOHC 8 valve, shim under bucket valve train, square bore x stroke, parallel twin) it will develop max hp close to 9,000 rpm and redline 10 or 11,000 rpm. Anyone's guess as to alternator output but it should be the equal or close to other middleweights - maybe 325 to 425 watts - enough for heated gear and a modest set of aux lights at riding rpm.

We are all waiting release of more information and the first motojournalist reviews.
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015