ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 153 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #2146
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,312
Did someone say fat bike?

This race staged today, just down from my house. 8F temps. -10F windchill. Only 70 miles to go, mostly offroad.



2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #2147
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,805
Oh, wow! 70 miles on those things!?! I am pretty sure my legs (and heart) would self destruct! Looks like a lot of fun though. Just like the rest of them, I could work up to that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Did someone say fat bike?

This race staged today, just down from my house. 8F temps. -10F windchill. Only 70 miles to go, mostly offroad.


__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #2148
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,505
Cool, a whole bunch of "fatties!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Did someone say fat bike?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Oh, wow! 70 miles on those things!?! I am pretty sure my legs (and heart) would self destruct! Looks like a lot of fun though. Just like the rest of them, I could work up to that distance.
You'd be surprised at how little rolling resistance there is when you pump those fat tires up. A LOT less than my studded Nokian 29'ers!

Fat Boy Mark H.

AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #2149
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike
 
Wadester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: 'Cruces
Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post


this makes all other bikes obsolete!





.
Fatbikes don't make other bikes obsolete - fatbikes just make other bikes seem boring (to me)
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and / I took the one less traveled by, and / now where the hell am I?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #2150
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures
 
spidennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
Oddometer: 1,275
That's fat-tastic!
__________________
2003 Yamaha WR250F (texas street legal, my primary ride, oh yeah baby!)
List of mods and rides:
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #2151
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures
 
spidennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
You'd be surprised at how little rolling resistance there is when you pump those fat tires up. A LOT less than my studded Nokian 29'ers!
Fat Sand Bikes by Tommie Sea uses a special tire all their own, it has a center bead so when aired up it rides only on that bead which really cuts down on the rolling resistance. Then of course you let some air out in the soft stuff and you got 5 inches of floatation.
__________________
2003 Yamaha WR250F (texas street legal, my primary ride, oh yeah baby!)
List of mods and rides:
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #2152
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
Fat Sand Bikes by Tommie Sea uses a special tire all their own, it has a center bead so when aired up it rides only on that bead which really cuts down on the rolling resistance. Then of course you let some air out in the soft stuff and you got 5 inches of floatation.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #2153
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Oh, wow! 70 miles on those things!?! I am pretty sure my legs (and heart) would self destruct! Looks like a lot of fun though. Just like the rest of them, I could work up to that distance.
Some dood did the Devil's Backbone ride that distance on one. He's more manly than I am by far!

I was on the FTB with knobbies and I thought the 37mi option was tough!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #2154
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,805
Well. I'll take you guys' word for it since I have never seen a FatBike in real life! Either way, I don't think I have ever seen a picture of someone on a FatBike that didn't have the same expression AKDuk has.


That to me says these bikes are much more fun they they should be allowed to be
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #2155
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures
 
spidennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well. I'll take you guys' word for it since I have never seen a FatBike in real life! Either way, I don't think I have ever seen a picture of someone on a FatBike that didn't have the same expression AKDuk has.


That to me says these bikes are much more fun they they should be allowed to be
It's like the difference between a Harley, crouch rocket or other "street bike" vs an adventure bike. The adventure bike leaves the pavement, and dusts all those that wish they could follow.
__________________
2003 Yamaha WR250F (texas street legal, my primary ride, oh yeah baby!)
List of mods and rides:
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #2156
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
It's like the difference between a Harley, crouch rocket or other "street bike" vs an adventure bike. The adventure bike leaves the pavement, and dusts all those that wish they could follow.
A fat bike would be a blast on SPI. More power to you if you can climb those berms on nay bicycle
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #2157
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures
 
spidennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
A fat bike would be a blast on SPI. More power to you if you can climb those berms on nay bicycle
I also spend time up in the mountains of the Adirondacks (NY) and having the extra foot print could really help in the sloppy trail conditions and basically "leave no trace". I'll have to wait until summer to find out though.

El Guero, did you get a new motor bike? guessin' a honda? Did you get it full of sand yet?!!
__________________
2003 Yamaha WR250F (texas street legal, my primary ride, oh yeah baby!)
List of mods and rides:
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #2158
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,221
Testing the boundaries of the new "Panorama" feature on the Iphone


Very impressive..


The shelf with my bicycle spares, in the process of getting organize..


And the other side of my messy shop.
__________________
I'm looking for a cheap battery for my 11GS so I can get her running again..

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 07:47 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #2159
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 14,884
That reminds me of the old bike shop on Ashby... looks like this one has more room to move around in
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #2160
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
That reminds me of the old bike shop on Ashby... looks like this one has more room to move around in
Oh Andy tell me about it, my new shop is as big as my whole apartment in Berkeley, plus I have a attic & garage to keep the rest of the bikes and crap.

Ps: I do have to much stuff, I'm trying to sell some to make more room so I can walk around..
__________________
I'm looking for a cheap battery for my 11GS so I can get her running again..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014