User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #3196
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
14/52

Not an answer to the chain question but I have two wheel sets.

Stock wheel has 14/50 gearing which is good for a dual sport ride.

Other wheel is 14/52. Same chain. Great single track gearing. Bike will almost chug in first with no throttle. 2nd and 3rd are sweet trail gears.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #3197
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
that big a diffrence on the rear will most definatively need a longer chain. try looking up the stock chain length for an exc and the xcw to get an idea of length?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #3198
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Baja Designs Squadron Light Kit

Guys, Thought I would post up here 1st before heading over to the flea market. I received a Baja Designs Squadron with mask and all mounting hardware for Xmas. Never used it and don't think I ever will. I did plug it in and turn it on, and all I can say is it's crazy bright.
Here's the link to the light.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=650100
Price was $375 new + shipping. If you of you guys wants it I'll let it go for $310 + shipping. I'm in NC.
I'll let it sit here a couple of days before posting it up over in the flea market.
Thanks, TW

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #3199
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Speaking of gearing, I am trying to see what the min/max gearing is I can use with the same chain. I actually have a 350EXC, but there isn't a thread like this for it, and so much of these bikes is the same. The EXC comes with 14/45 gearing and the XCW has 13/52. So, I threw on a 13 and tried 13/45. Too high for single track, too low for DS. So, I am going to bite the bullet and get a spare set of wheels and gear them appropriately. That also saves me from the usual thing of putting fresh knobbies on for dirt ride, and then destroying them on a DS ride before I even hit the good dirt. Anyway, it would seem 13/52 will work on the "short end", my question is would I be able to adjust the chain tight enough on a 13/42 or even 13/40 for my DS gearing?
13/52 is way too low for these bikes.
I use 15/49 or 14/49 for dual sport depending on where I'm going to ride. I use 13/49 for single track so I can go slower without using the clutch so much. All 3 combos use the same chain length. 116 links The longer chain keeps the rear wheel from eating the mud flap.
You can flip the rear axle for more chain adjustment.
Keeping a larger front sprocket will greatly extend chain and sprocket life.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #3200
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Guys, Thought I would post up here 1st before heading over to the flea market. I received a Baja Designs Squadron with mask and all mounting hardware for Xmas. Never used it and don't think I ever will. I did plug it in and turn it on, and all I can say is it's crazy bright.
Here's the link to the light.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=650100
Price was $375 new + shipping. If you of you guys wants it I'll let it go for $310 + shipping. I'm in NC.
I'll let it sit here a couple of days before posting it up over in the flea market.
Thanks, TW
Like a crack pipe to a street hooker. I'll take a taste. TW pm me your Paypal addy and I'll send the funds. I have a CA mailing address zip 90291
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #3201
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
New bike pics

I'm just finishing up the initial set up on my new bike and I thought I'd post a couple pics.

Acerbis front disk guard

KTM 13 liter tank

Baja Designs Squadron light, Kreiga front haul loop, HBD front LED blinkers

HDB guards / mirrors, Sicass switch, KTM folding levers

HDB top plate / computer bracket / Scotts submount bracket / light mounts, Pro-taper Woods high bars, Scotts damper, Cleanspeed cable guide

Golan fuel filter, KTM case saver, Pivot pegz

SRT radiator guards, carbon header heat shield, Acerbis nylon skid plate

On the back: Akropovic exhaust, Sicass rear light / LED blinkers, KTM rear grab handle, Pro Moto Billet rear rack (you had better have some patience and a good file to install this )

Current gearing is 13/48
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #3202
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
I did another valve check today and I feel like Im wasting my time. They just dont move.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #3203
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I'm just finishing up the initial set up on my new bike and I thought I'd post a couple pics.
Damn man, you don't mess around! Sweet setup.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #3204
Guerillah
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
I did another valve check today and I feel like Im wasting my time. They just dont move.
What hours/mile you at?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #3205
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
What hours/mile you at?

60 hours, Ive done 3 valve checks so I mis-spoke before thinking 90, 1st valve check was 1HR, then 30/30. Im right at 1996 miles.

Dirty in all screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:40 PM
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #3206
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
13/52 is way too low for these bikes.
I use 15/49 or 14/49 for dual sport depending on where I'm going to ride. I use 13/49 for single track so I can go slower without using the clutch so much. All 3 combos use the same chain length. 116 links The longer chain keeps the rear wheel from eating the mud flap.
You can flip the rear axle for more chain adjustment.
Keeping a larger front sprocket will greatly extend chain and sprocket life.
I have the 350; I do really need the lower gearing for offroad. But, I had forgotten about the old flip the axle/adjuster blocks idea. I'll probably just trial and error on the sprockets until I get the min/max I can use with the same chain.
Thanks

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3207
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ500exc View Post
How to cure 500 exc flameout problems
Advancing your tps closed throttle value to .640 volts instead of the specified .601 volts will get rid of flame outs. Now I imagine there is a range of voltages that will work, but .640 volts is where I ended up. The jd tuner will usually make it better but not get rid of flameout. Try this for yourself. Pull the cover off of tps, mark position of sensor so you can return it to original position. Loosen torx screw just enough to be able to rotate tps. Start bike, if you have a tuner put it back to recommended settings for idle and low speed. Rotate tps ccw very very slightly. You should notice the engine smoothing out-(if you go to far it will get slightly rougher again) tighten screw -- test ride-- night and day difference. Now to set tps properly here is a link to a tps setting tool.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=440540&hl=

My tps is set to .640 volts.closed throttle and will still get to 3.8 volts at full throttle, as it should.
You can now chug the engine down to nothing and not fear the flameout. Being a light flywheel it obviously doesn't chug like an rfs, but thats the tradeoff for throttle response and handling.

I did this last weekend. I have a multimeter but just used the smooth idle version. Very slight move ccw and the idle improved greatly. Got out for a few hours yesterday and all seemed great. I did not get into tight woods where I normally would have it lugged down, but no flame outs... stock bike except fro smog removal.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #3208
Guerillah
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
I did this last weekend. I have a multimeter but just used the smooth idle version. Very slight move ccw and the idle improved greatly. Got out for a few hours yesterday and all seemed great. I did not get into tight woods where I normally would have it lugged down, but no flame outs... stock bike except fro smog removal.
Probably the same mod the guy at bestdualsportbikes does.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #3209
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I'm just finishing up the initial set up on my new bike and I thought I'd post a couple pics
Ronin

Nice setup. What did you use to move your light forward so it won't interfere with the instrument protector? I have the HDB setup with the protector but I need to shim the headlight mask forward to mount the protector on the bottom of the top clamp.

Garrett
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #3210
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Garrett

I just got the gear from Paul this last week and it fit OK with the light right out of the box. Paul implied to me in an email that he had changed the computer bracket recently so maybe this is the issue. I mounted the computer bracket to the top of the top plate and attached the light bracket to the bottom of this on the right side. No problems clearing the headlight.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote