Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #4831
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,417
I remember seeing decals on the tank of a KLR .. BWM style ( not the roundels) .. It was the same text as the BWM adventure but says KLR ADVENTURE . I have seen the same thing on vstroms . Anyone have a clue or am I imagining things ?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #4832
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
I bent the rim on my front wheel yesterday. I notice that the replacement cost is quite high. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do?

I've had good luck by heating with a Mapp gas torch, then placing a chunk of
hard wood on the ding. I then hit the wood block with a 3-pound hammer. Just don't
strike the rim directly with a hammer! Usually when I finish, it's hard to tell where
the damage was... (oh yeah...first remove the wheel from the bike and then remove
the tire!)
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #4833
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
I remember seeing decals on the tank of a KLR .. BWM style ( not the roundels) .. It was the same text as the BWM adventure but says KLR ADVENTURE . I have seen the same thing on vstroms . Anyone have a clue or am I imagining things ?

I got mine here
http://www.realtimeindustries.com/pr...ct=KLR-Roundel
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #4834
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,642
How many miles is too many for an '08 KLR? I'm looking at one with with 20,000 miles on it, includes a centerstand and highway pegs (I would be getting the centerstand anyway) that looks like it was mostly ridden on the road. It is the first one I've looked at that shows no signs of being dropped or thrashed. It is a private seller, one owner, BUT, nothing has been done to fix the doohickey or the frame bolts, or the oil burning issue. It runs and sounds good, and I could not tell that it was burning oil. Seller wants $3250. Claims it has been well maintained, and the oil was new. Sounds a bit high for 20,000 miles, but this is AZ, and bike prices are higher here than many other places.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #4835
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
5 to 6 year old bike with 20k had hardly been ridden. I wouldn't worry about it. Do the doo and maybe freshen the suspension and put another 30k on it without worry. Maybe ensure the valves have been checked or check them to be sure, perhaps new spark plug and air filter clean too.

Odd grammar, words and spelling brought to you by my iPhone's autocorrect.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #4836
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
What Marc said. Mine (2008) had 23,000 miles, one of the few 2008's that doesn't burn oil. These bikes can go over 100,000 miles if properly maintained. If it looks that good, then it probably was taken care of. Price sounds a little high for around here but maybe normal there.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #4837
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #4838
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How many miles is too many for an '08 KLR? I'm looking at one with with 20,000 miles on it, includes a centerstand and highway pegs (I would be getting the centerstand anyway) that looks like it was mostly ridden on the road. It is the first one I've looked at that shows no signs of being dropped or thrashed. It is a private seller, one owner, BUT, nothing has been done to fix the doohickey or the frame bolts, or the oil burning issue. It runs and sounds good, and I could not tell that it was burning oil. Seller wants $3250. Claims it has been well maintained, and the oil was new. Sounds a bit high for 20,000 miles, but this is AZ, and bike prices are higher here than many other places.
Amazing 20,000 miles and he didn't fix or address any of the "internet" problems with the bike. Maybe he just rode it.

as many have mentioned before pricing is subject to location and demand. IMHO shopping around a bit in your area can usually give you a good idea of what bikes local to you are selling for.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #4839
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Amazing 20,000 miles and he didn't fix or address any of the "internet" problems with the bike.
Bwahahahahahaaa.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #4840
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Amazing 20,000 miles and he didn't fix or address any of the "internet" problems with the bike. Maybe he just rode it. ...

Crazy...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #4841
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
I've had good luck by heating with a Mapp gas torch, then placing a chunk of
hard wood on the ding. I then hit the wood block with a 3-pound hammer. Just don't
strike the rim directly with a hammer! Usually when I finish, it's hard to tell where
the damage was... (oh yeah...first remove the wheel from the bike and then remove
the tire!)
+1

While working on the wheel - check you spoke tension too. That is a part of regular PM that most neglect.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #4842
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Mileage is fine. My cousin is about to list his 08 for sale in Phx so I've been watching pricing the last month or so and asking price is about right. Be sure and check Vin# for deep hole syndrome, check and/or replace doo spring/doo, pull the rear swing arm/Prolink out and lube the bearings, go over the wire harness with fine tooth comb for rub thru's and lube that steering head bearings. You'll get many many more miles of usage!

Here's an 08 that I'm going through for a buddy...21K miles and while he's taken good care of it he didn't do the above.

Upper/lower shock mount pins...

Prolink bolt completely frozen....PIA getting it freed.

Lower Steering stem bearing/race wasted. Race removal is pain. Best way is to weld a bead onto the race itself so you can get a punch on it.

Doo spring had no tension. Often it results in the spring breaking but in his case it wore a groove into the engine case. Upgraded to eaglemike Doo and torsion spring.

His was also one of the Deep Hole models. Luckily no damage to stator cover as is common. Drop in a spacer and done...EagleMike Doo kits come with the spacer for GenII bikes just in case. www.eaglemike.com
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #4843
misterjack
Universal

Oddometer: 51
Talking highway use

What are some of the most important upgrades for highway use with a 1989?
misterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #4844
misterjack
Universal

Cool2 Tires

looking for a new pair of tires that will accommodate about 40% on road and about 60% off roads. currently riding an 89
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #4845
misterjack
Universal

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post

sick paint job my man. I might have to consider doing this myself!