Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Came here to say this... The CMSP/MSF course is $250 ($150 for under-21s). The last time I saw an ad for the H-D class, it was $400.
I took the Riders Edge class last Memorial Day and I think I paid $225. I know it was no more than $250. It was a lot of fun and solidified my resolve to buy a motorcycle.

Is there something wrong with HD promoting motorcycle safety and trying to sell a bike too?
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, and something else I forgot, they did take us through the AMPLE T-shirt section, but it was focused primarily on proper riding gear. For us noobs, it introduced to things we wouldnt have known about like...jackets with armor, modular helmets, hi vis clothing, and other items.

FWIW, I ended up buying a hi-vis, modular, do-rag with CE approved armor and detachable eye patch. Aaaargh!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
Is there something wrong with HD promoting motorcycle safety and trying to sell a bike too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Except for DAKEZ, because dear god what is that THING? Doug, I appreciate the inside advice.
That is the replacement bike that Doug had referenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
. We instructors are still waiting for information from HD about a replacement bike that there are rumors of, but not confirmed or seen in the wild.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 01:24 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
KCNorth
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Took the class ...

... loved the class ...

... highly recommend the class ...

One of the advantages, from my perspective, was that the class WAS at the dealership and that we got introduced to several different folks from various areas of the store - including service - and all of whom were happy to visit and answer questions during the breaks and following the class.

If my demographics matter, I'm an over-65 person, owned and rode a Suzuki 650 along about 40 years ago and decided, upon retirement, to enter my 7th childhood ... took the class to relearn BEFORE shopping for a bike.

Did I buy a bike after the class? Yes.

Did I buy a Harley? Yes.

Did I buy it from the dealer? Nope - bought it used off Craig's List ... and felt supported throughout the buying process by the folks I met at the dealership during and after the class.

Don't know if my experience was unique or not ... just know it was great!
KCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,919
I took the course through the HD dealer here. It was fine. The instructors were excellent, though I suspect that has nothing in particular to do with it being the HD BRC. Even bought a Blast for my wife. She rode it for three years before deciding motorcycling wasn't really for her. Don't worry about the 500cc bikes -- a Ninja 250 is a bit faster than a Blast. Think of it as Harley CCs...you know how a 1600cc HD v-twin makes less horsepower than an econobox car?

FWIW, neither of my instructors rode HDs. One rode a Beemer (older K bike I think) and the other was on some sort of naked sport bike.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 05:28 PM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I took the Riders Edge class last Memorial Day and I think I paid $225. I know it was no more than $250. It was a lot of fun and solidified my resolve to buy a motorcycle.

Riders Edge prices are set by your dealer. A quick search of dealers here in the Southland shows one at $300, two at $350 and one at $400. MSF/CMSP prices are fixed by the state at $250. I would assume that HD dealers are smart and charge less in states where the MSF class costs less.

There's nothing wrong with HD promoting safety and trying to gain brand-loyal customers; I'm honestly surprised no other brand does it (well, BMW can't since they don't have a sub-500cc bike). But there's likely little to be gained by paying more to take the same class from the HD dealer.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
I took the "normal" BRC at some community college in Louisiana in 2004. I too, the HD course in Atlanta in 2006, as a refresher after a deployment. They were the same course, except the 250 Nighthawk in LA was replaced by a 500 Blast! in Atlanta. The good thing about the HD course was that they had a deal where they would put the course cost toward a new bike if I bought one there, and I already wanted a Uly anyway, so it worked out well for me. Tell your friend that if he already wants a Harley he should ask for the same deal.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
My Harley today compared to a 1950 motorcycle is considered a fast bike, I rode with people that started on a 50cc bike to a CB750 ohc, being taught is more important than the size of the bike. I would have a hard time finding a bike today that was more difficult to learn how to brake than my 1972 CL350, I guess I could get a new rider on a bike with a twin leading drum brake so they could see how it feels and see how that works out.

Yeah it would be perfectly fine for a new rider to learn how to ride on a 200hp liter bike, no problems at all.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Yeah it would be perfectly fine for a new rider to learn how to ride on a 200hp liter bike, no problems at all.
It can and has been done.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Riders Edge prices are set by your dealer. A quick search of dealers here in the Southland shows one at $300, two at $350 and one at $400. MSF/CMSP prices are fixed by the state at $250. I would assume that HD dealers are smart and charge less in states where the MSF class costs less.

There's nothing wrong with HD promoting safety and trying to gain brand-loyal customers; I'm honestly surprised no other brand does it (well, BMW can't since they don't have a sub-500cc bike). But there's likely little to be gained by paying more to take the same class from the HD dealer.
I'm not familiar with SoCal, but you're right, it looks like these dealerships set the price about $50 over MSF course (i found several in your area at $300) Like I said though, they do have it at the dealership where the facilities are nice and there are bikes and gear for reference, so there is value added.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
fear is the mind killer
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #27
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,374
I took no stinking class. Get a small bike and a large area and go already.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,225
I never took any class ever.
I also have a blast, the owner had fallen over and damaged the transmission and I got to fix it.
The one I have is a very hard to ride bike (but sort of fun).
Its stock, has under 3000 miles on it, and has the most on/off clutch I ever had on anything.
Every time on that bike I spin the back wheel, its got torque, and with the on/off clutch, its a handfull.

That bike would make a REAL interesting learning bike!
Even without the clutch issue, its got enough torque to have the bike go away with ham fisted clutch action and leave the learner standing there as the bike does an endo.

The shifting problem (1st and 2nd gear only worked) ended up being the shifter index pawls, for some reason the motor company made the assembly mount on slots so you could adjust it I suppose, but in a fall, it can be moved.

I know a number of beginner riders that got Harley's then crashed in turns and no longer ride.
Big heavy bikes with no lean angle are great to start out on.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It can and has been done.
Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #30
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
This^^

Teaching one or two folks, friends(?) once in a while on a large displacement bike is slightly different then teaching 6-24 students each weekend at hundreds of MSF ranges across the country, who you've never met and don't have a clue as to their abilities...Yeah it can be done but there are better alternatives.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote