ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #4021
cls
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 1,110
motorcycle.com just did a direct comparison between the Versys and 700X for anyone interested. I didn't see reference to it in the last couple of pages. If it helps...I have the V and it's an awesomely good public road bike. The best I've found for me, thus far. I'd like more fit-and-finish quality, however, and more mpg's for my commuter is always good.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #4022
Kart22
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Savannah Ga
Oddometer: 50
I do a lot of 70mph riding and have a lifespan average of 70.4 mpg over 3000 miles.

I'm 6'3
__________________
NC700X
G650 XMoto (Sold)
Fast stang :)
Kart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #4023
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,255
NC700X impressively quick overtaking while ascending Passo San Gottardo.

__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #4024
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flatboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Austria/Europe
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
NC700X impressively quick overtaking while ascending Passo San Gottardo.
The guy from this video is one of the fast riders from the german nc700x Forum. He averages at little more than 4l/100km. The Gotthard video you are referring to was taken with 2 persons on bike and full baggage!!
Just to make this clear.
He BTW also published an impressive topspeed video. This is the manual shifting version.

Regards, Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #4025
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
The guy from this video is one of the fast riders from the german nc700x Forum. He averages at little more than 4l/100km. The Gotthard video you are referring to was taken with 2 persons on bike and full baggage!!
Just to make this clear.
He BTW also published an impressive topspeed video. This is the manual shifting version.

Regards, Phil
Whoa, doubley impressive.
Going to be a big upgrade from my KLR.
I remember now the quick pic of the guy and the girl in the middle of the vid.
I'll check out his Topspeed vid.
Thanks for the info.
__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #4026
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,909
This fuel consumption stuff is getting on my nerves.

I've managed a 3.3l/100km riding like a normal person on a relatively
straight road up to 75mph at times but using that overdrive gear as
often as possible (55mph+).

Riding like a maniac, shifting as late as possible and downshifting on every
overtake (average probably around 4000-5000) and revving it out to the
redline every time I had to stop on the same trip as above -

I never went above 80mph, maybe once or twice, and kept using 6th above
60mph.

It was way faster pace then I'd normally ride at and borderline dangerous.
I got 3.6l/100km that time.

That's 71 and 65MPG!

Anyone getting worse then that is either abusing the engine riding at
unnecessarily high revs OR riding at speeds over 80mph all the time.

I got freakin' 65MPG without being overtaken ONCE on my Ninja 650R
on a 400 mile trip, heavy on the throttle, but not revving it's nuts off
(4500-6000 when at nice canyon-like roads, and 75 in 6th everywhere else).

Even the 650R was great, that's basically a 250cc scooter MPG category, and the
NC is obviously better.

I bet I could get it down to 78 MPG.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #4027
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!
 
NortwestRider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: 3.7 miles North of Hell...SEATTLE....
Oddometer: 3,751
90% of the reasons I want the NC is mpg's,the other 10% is price.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2012 Honda NC700XAR
1990 XT350 Overlander
GS500ADV..THE PURPLE EXPLORE
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #4028
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flatboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Austria/Europe
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
90% of the reasons I want the NC is mpg's,the other 10% is price.
That seems very sad if you just let go on all the riding fun it could easily deliver.

flatboarder screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:16 AM
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #4029
cls
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
This fuel consumption stuff is getting on my nerves.

I've managed a 3.3l/100km riding like a normal person on a relatively
straight road up to 75mph at times but using that overdrive gear as
often as possible (55mph+).

Riding like a maniac, shifting as late as possible and downshifting on every
overtake (average probably around 4000-5000) and revving it out to the
redline every time I had to stop on the same trip as above -

I never went above 80mph, maybe once or twice, and kept using 6th above
60mph.

It was way faster pace then I'd normally ride at and borderline dangerous.
I got 3.6l/100km that time.

That's 71 and 65MPG!

Anyone getting worse then that is either abusing the engine riding at
unnecessarily high revs OR riding at speeds over 80mph all the time.

I got freakin' 65MPG without being overtaken ONCE on my Ninja 650R
on a 400 mile trip, heavy on the throttle, but not revving it's nuts off
(4500-6000 when at nice canyon-like roads, and 75 in 6th everywhere else).

Even the 650R was great, that's basically a 250cc scooter MPG category, and the
NC is obviously better.

I bet I could get it down to 78 MPG.
Very nice numbers, and excuse my ignorance, but I presume that is not the same as U.S. mpg's? Sounds way too good to be true if you're riding aggressively. I'd love it to be so, though.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #4030
showkey
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wausau
Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart22 View Post
I do a lot of 70mph riding and have a lifespan average of 70.4 mpg over 3000 miles.

I'm 6'3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Very nice numbers, and excuse my ignorance, but I presume that is not the same as U.S. mpg's? Sounds way too good to be true if you're riding aggressively. I'd love it to be so, though.
Kart22 posted similar MPG in the US...............other than fuel quality (alcohol) In the US the bike should deliver the same power and mpg.
__________________
1982 CX500 Turbo ,2006 ST1300, 2012 NC700X
1971 CT90,1981 C70, 1986 TRX 250,
1993 TRX300 4X4, 2001 TRX500 4x4, 1987 XR250L

showkey screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:19 PM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #4031
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Very nice numbers, and excuse my ignorance, but I presume that is not the same as U.S. mpg's? Sounds way too good to be true if you're riding aggressively. I'd love it to be so, though.
I completed an IBA Saddle Sore 1000 on my NC700X a few weeks ago. For the first half of the 1054 miles I had a strong headwind with gusts to 29 mph and the mpg average for this 500 or so miles was 56.45. The second half with a slight to no tailwind garnered 65.1 mpg average. I rode mostly between 70 to 80 mph except for a +/- 50 mile section at and near Atlanta, GA where traffic was moving somewhat faster. These are US gallon mpg and I had to maintain a log of gas station receipts to document the route traveled and time. Mpg was calculated after odometer error was corrected. The numbers are accurate.

I have a larger windscreen than stock and hand guards that increase frontal area over stock.
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #4032
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Very nice numbers, and excuse my ignorance, but I presume that is not the same as U.S. mpg's? Sounds way too good to be true if you're riding aggressively. I'd love it to be so, though.
This is US mpg's with a 77.6 US mpg average. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/670cc/nc700x
My best was 76.3 mpg US, 670cc's 80.3 mpg US is hard to beat.
__________________
2012 NC700X
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #4033
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
This is US mpg's with a 77.6 US mpg average. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/670cc/nc700x
My best was 76.3 mpg US, 670cc's 80.3 mpg US is hard to beat.
I'd like to see what the NC700X, with and without aero aids, could do in Craig Vetter's fuel economy challenge.
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/201...Challenge.html
Somebody almost did last year.
Anybody recognize this guy?

__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #4034
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
I'd like to see what the NC700X, with and without aero aids, could do in Craig Vetter's fuel economy challenge.
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/201...Challenge.html
Somebody almost did last year.
I bet it will beat 100 mpg pretty good with aero aids. I'm sure my big windshield and luggage dropped my mileage a few mpg's.

I'm going to try for 85 mpg this summer though. 50-55 mph and see what I get. I'm betting at least 85 mpg.
__________________
2012 NC700X
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #4035
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flatboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Austria/Europe
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Whoa, doubley impressive.
Going to be a big upgrade from my KLR.
I remember now the quick pic of the guy and the girl in the middle of the vid.
I'll check out his Topspeed vid.
Thanks for the info.
Yeah. AFAIK that video was an ordinary vacation trip, not at all a speed trip or whatever.
He posted about it over here some months ago.
And one must keep in mind those horror speeding fees inside of switzerland, BTW :)
These are no fun. Once in a lifetime.

However, I agree, acceleration seems pretty good. His NC is known to perform very well.
But then, his topspeed values were confirmed by some other riders in our forum and by other youtube videos.

I for myself reached a topspeed of 182km/h (GPS) with the DCT version (which means odometer > 190km/h),
which is still a very good value for a 52HP bike.

Whether acceleration of my DCT could compare, I cannot tell. It is very hard to interpret from those fisheye cams videos and taking into account he was on full load for that ride.

Anyway, given the paper sheet specs and the weight of the bike, it rides like a fun bike. Nasty low end 4cyl (as like XJ6 or whatever) up to maybe 80HP I tested may on the one hand be considerable faster, but on the other hand are no fun rides, boring and oldfashioned compared to this so called "commuter".
Which actually is no surprise to me, coming from single cylinder offroad sports and adventure bike riding.

Now lets hope snow will go away soon.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014