Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #15481
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
The Triumph comes across more like the love-child of a Street Triple and a KLR...light, flickable, functional, eager, and up for whatever the rider throws at it. It's like a 3-year old Golden Retriever...old enough to be well behaved, and perpetually happy whether you're walking home from the groomer or jumping into a muddy river. It excels at nothing, but does a lot of things well, and it has a playful demeanor that I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
Well put.
Totally agree, best description of the Tiger I've ever heard.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #15482
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Looking like things just might work out with a nearby dealer. Will share the numbers once a deal is hopefully confirmed. For now, I have a few questions I'm hoping others can help me with.

Are there any changes between the 2012 and the 2013 models? All along I've been assuming there are absolutely none but it would be good to have this confirmed. Also, I'm thinking that at the time of purchase I will add a center stand and the additional front lights. Are there any aftermarket options to consider for those two items or should I stick with ones made by Triumph? Are there any additional accessories that you would suggest? Any other issues or concerns I should be thinking about for day of delivery? Many thanks! Will keep you posted.
there is an entire thread on accessories now. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840096
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #15483
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Nothing wrong with rivets. All sorts of things are riveted including steam boilers and large ships.
The difference between riveted and welded is that you can take the riveted one apart and repair then re-rivet. The welded one you have to attack it with a large hammer and have little chance of it ever being the same shape again.

The Altrider one doesn't look like it covers the oil filter.
Your right unless you plan on exposing the rivet parts to physical abuse, i.e. bash plates.
Rivets can stretch and pop off. You gonna carry rivets and a rivet tool with you everywhere? A fully welded assembly is much more fit for the task. Read up on Burren Riders posts about the riveted bash plate.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #15484
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Your right unless you plan on exposing the rivet parts to physical abuse, i.e. bash plates.
Rivets can stretch and pop off. You gonna carry rivets and a rivet tool with you everywhere? A fully welded assembly is much more fit for the task. Read up on Burren Riders posts about the riveted bash plate.
I think I'm gonna have mine welded.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #15485
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
I sat on all of the Tiger models at the NYC show yesterday, and really liked the new green XC. The Explorer felt big and looked big and heavy, but I read that the weight disappears once you are rolling. Out of curiousity, I also sat on the Multistrada, and I must say that for me personally, it fit much better than any of the tigers. The price was on the other side of scary, but the dealer who was helping man the booth sells both Triumph and Ducati, and said having ridden all of them in length, he really likes the Ducati the best. When spring rolls around, I'll have to go test ride all of them at his shop and see how they feel to me. I really, really want to try the new Tiger Sport 1050, but the guys at the Triumph booth said no way is that bike coming stateside. The quote was "they don't want to dilute the pool of potential Tiger owners with too many choices". By the way, the new Trophy ergonomics were very comfortable, and it doesn't seem that big in real life. I think they will sell as many as they can bring in once some test rides are available.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #15486
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I sat on all of the Tiger models at the NYC show yesterday, and really liked the new green XC. The Explorer felt big and looked big and heavy, but I read that the weight disappears once you are rolling. Out of curiousity, I also sat on the Multistrada, and I must say that for me personally, it fit much better than any of the tigers. The price was on the other side of scary, but the dealer who was helping man the booth sells both Triumph and Ducati, and said having ridden all of them in length, he really likes the Ducati the best. When spring rolls around, I'll have to go test ride all of them at his shop and see how they feel to me. I really, really want to try the new Tiger Sport 1050, but the guys at the Triumph booth said no way is that bike coming stateside. The quote was "they don't want to dilute the pool of potential Tiger owners with too many choices". By the way, the new Trophy ergonomics were very comfortable, and it doesn't seem that big in real life. I think they will sell as many as they can bring in once some test rides are available.
I've ridden both too. The XC and Multi are two totally different bikes. In my opinion not comparable. Different capabilities, different riding styles, etc. The rodie and the multi would be similar I suppose. In that case I would probably chose the multi. But the prices are way far apart. The Explorer XC will be sweet! I may jump ship to one of those when they are out for a year or so.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #15487
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Tiger 800XC maintenance

I am not the most mechanical person (by a long shot!) but I am wanting to learn a bit about my bike. I own a Tiger 800XC and live in North San Diego county.

Any suggestions on how to learn some basic motorcycle maintenance skills would be appreciated. I am hopeful that I can learn how to do oil changes, and how to change a tube, since the 800XC has tubed tires. As I get more comfortable with maintenance, I would like to learn more too. Any suggestions for books, manuals, videos, etc would be appreciated!
SPX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #15488
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Well after mostly lurking on here for the last few years and following this thread since page one I finally brought mine home Friday. The weather worked out Saturday and was able to put about 50 miles on it. I have to say I'm really gonna like this bike. I was really on the fence about whether to get the XC or roadie. Since 90% of my riding will be on pavement I went with the roadie. This also gives me and excuse to get a real dual sport bike for more serious off road adventures. I test rode the XC and really liked the suspension much better but didn't care for having the off road biased wheels on a bike I will mostly use for touring and commuting. I did get it dirty on my first ride trying it out on hard packed dirt roads and it handles just fine. Amazing how light and flickable the bike is. It was very difficult keeping the revs down, I can't wait until the break in period is over!

Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #15489
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
Well after mostly lurking on here for the last few years and following this thread since page one I finally brought mine home Friday. The weather worked out Saturday and was able to put about 50 miles on it. I have to say I'm really gonna like this bike. I was really on the fence about whether to get the XC or roadie. Since 90% of my riding will be on pavement I went with the roadie. This also gives me and excuse to get a real dual sport bike for more serious off road adventures. I test rode the XC and really liked the suspension much better but didn't care for having the off road biased wheels on a bike I will mostly use for touring and commuting. I did get it dirty on my first ride trying it out on hard packed dirt roads and it handles just fine. Amazing how light and flickable the bike is. It was very difficult keeping the revs down, I can't wait until the break in period is over!

Looks great. Love the blue.
BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #15490
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post

Congrats. Very nice looking color.
SPX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #15491
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I've ridden both too. The XC and Multi are two totally different bikes. In my opinion not comparable. Different capabilities, different riding styles, etc. The rodie and the multi would be similar I suppose. In that case I would probably chose the multi. But the prices are way far apart. The Explorer XC will be sweet! I may jump ship to one of those when they are out for a year or so.
Ya, I have a gen 1 Multi and have ridden a gen 2 a few times. Love it but its different from the gen 1 or my XC. We watched the CO BDR vid last night at BMW of Denver - I will ride it on the XC but would never take a Multi on that route. However, a Multi would be fantastic for a roadtrip to Canada via twisty back roads!
BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #15492
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I am not the most mechanical person (by a long shot!) but I am wanting to learn a bit about my bike. I own a Tiger 800XC and live in North San Diego county.

Any suggestions on how to learn some basic motorcycle maintenance skills would be appreciated. I am hopeful that I can learn how to do oil changes, and how to change a tube, since the 800XC has tubed tires. As I get more comfortable with maintenance, I would like to learn more too. Any suggestions for books, manuals, videos, etc would be appreciated!
Plenty of videos on Youtube about tire changing techniques.

For your specific bike, I recommend you buy a factory service manual. It's invaluable for machine-specific items.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #15493
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I have an XC, of course, and have ridden both the Explorer and the Multistrada 1200.

The Explorer is an awesome bike. The weight definitely disappears once you're rolling. Terrific-handling bike, very confidence-inspiring in the twisties. Hugely fun, and yet it immediately made me feel like I could just point it at the horizon and keep going for hundreds of miles in great comfort. I've ridden an R1200GSA as well, and could definitely understand why people buy those for long-haul touring, but when I got off the Explorer, I immediately said, "When I finally do that ride to Alaska, I have GOT to budget for one of these!"

The Multi... well, I didn't like it much. The ergos were wrong, the whole thing is too cramped, and the windshield felt like it was inches in front of my face. I felt like if I braked too hard my nose would slam into its upper edge. Basically, the bike felt like it was designed for a rider 3/4 my size, which I'm sure it was. But I also have to admit, I'm just not a Ducati guy. Their bikes are beautiful (well, most of them, not including the Multi) and I want to like them, but I've just never been impressed with any of the Ducatis I've test-ridden with the exception of the Sport Classic 1000.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #15494
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
The Multistrada is a direct competitor to my 1050. With 17" wheels, it's basically a tall sportbike; not an ADV bike by any stretch. Relax the geometry around a 19" front wheel and it'd be in a different demographic. Ducati could capture a larger market, if they'd simplify their bikes and get dirtier.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #15495
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I understand some folks want to protect their oil filter. That's easy to do with a quick steel cover that runs $30. I don't care if my filter gets a dent or two; it's only on the bike temporarily anyway. I would very much care if it got a puncture, though.

However, with even the Triumph aluminum sump guard, the oil filter is protected from debris being flung up from the front tire. Any foreign object would have to come at the filter from an unexpected angle to contact it. The Triumph sump guard also allows access to the oil filter for maintenance purposes, without having to remove the sump guard.
Your unexpected stone will be flung from the bike in front of you. Those same stones are the reason you buy a headlamp and radiator protectors. SWmotech, covers the filter completely and has room behind to remove said filter. Sorted.