ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #121
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybike View Post
OK, I think that when I walked in and the place was so crowded, I got frustrated and a crappy attitude. So I missed some stuff that I wanted to see. Was Metzeler there? nope I wanted to check out the Karoo3. How about Motion Pro? nope I wanted to see the Bead Pro.
I was hoping for more vendors with GS type stuff. Don't know if I just missed them, or they weren't there...
No real Adventure stuff.
I did pick up a Sixth gear tank bag I was looking for gloves with the squeegee on them only one vender all they has were small to large I don't think any of the Pirate crowd had small hands! Then I don't think they get water on their bikes because they would shrink.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #122
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post


5 out 6 ain't too bad!
wonder how that ad read.

help wanted. must have perfect legs. as in f'ing perfect even without stockings because you won't be wearing any. also perfect breasts as in no fake ones.

just a bad picture of that girl they were all
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #123
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
wonder how that ad read.

help wanted. must have perfect legs. as in f'ing perfect even without stockings because you won't be wearing any. also perfect breasts as in no fake ones.

just a bad picture of that girl they were all
Na man that pic is pretty accurate. I thought it to myself when seeing them at the show
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #124
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,229
Unfortunately, no one has posted a picture from behind showing their other "assets", which were substantial. Know Italians, I'm sure that was also a large part of their employment prequalifications.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #125
docgonzo
Old Gadfly
 
docgonzo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
Oddometer: 12,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Unfortunately, no one has posted a picture from behind showing their other "assets", which were substantial. Know Italians, I'm sure that was also a large part of their employment prequalifications.
Hey, did anyone look at the BIKES at the show?

For the record, the little 250 cc street legal dirt bikes by Kawasaki and Honda were pretty decent. Not for enduros, but definitely reasonable for everyday woods riding and urban commuting.

__________________
later, *
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #126
DavidBanner
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Planet earf.
Oddometer: 1,163
once again, Ducati thinking T&A will sell bikes. (#2 and #5)

it's 2013 fer chrissakes...the bikes still break and they're still too pricey. meanwhile, suzuki had an old fogey hanging out by the gixxers and hayabusas...because those bikes sell themselves (stone cold reliability and performance).

maybe Ducati needs to budget less money for marketing fluff and more for development.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #127
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 165
Oh I did I fell for the new Honda CB's. For around 5,000 I may get my first new bike ever!!! Specs

CB500X




CB500F


Not so much their 10K 1100 retro bike. 10K!!!!!!!
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #128
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
...maybe Ducati needs to budget less money for marketing fluff and more for development.
And yet... Ducati keeps beating their sales goals and are growing market share while Suzuki motorcycle was and still may be close to life support.

It ain't all fluff, and they've probably done more development (and delivery on the development) than most, if not all, of the Japanese manufacturers. They've studied and reacted to what the market's wanted-- expanding beyond pure sport bikes, improving reliability, and lengthening service intervals. And they've done this while still keeping their distinctive cachet. It's currently a very smart and well-run company.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #129
DavidBanner
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Planet earf.
Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
And yet... Ducati keeps beating their sales goals and are growing market share while Suzuki motorcycle was and still may be close to life support.

It ain't all fluff, and they've probably done more development (and delivery on the development) than most, if not all, of the Japanese manufacturers. They've studied and reacted to what the market's wanted-- expanding beyond pure sport bikes, improving reliability, and lengthening service intervals. And they've done this while still keeping their distinctive cachet. It's currently a very smart and well-run company.

if we're comparing the two...suzuki is celebrating it's 50th year in the states and it's millionth gixxer.

many more people will own or ride a suzuki in their lifetime. doesn't that count for something more than "exclusivity" and "T&A"?

"exclusivity" is the antithesis of motorcycling, IMHO.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #130
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MCGMB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
if we're comparing the two...suzuki is celebrating it's 50th year in the states and it's millionth gixxer.

many more people will own or ride a suzuki in their lifetime. doesn't that count for something more than "exclusivity" and "T&A"?

"exclusivity" is the antithesis of motorcycling, IMHO.
Motorcyling is intrinsically exclusive -- how many bikes do you see out there compared to cars? Ducati is just more exclusive than others.

I went to the Ducati display and was very impressed. Along with having all their new bikes easily accessible to look at and sit on (some other places -- e.g.Triumph -- were cramped, though Suzuki was very good), the female reps were actively walking around talking to everyone, with tablets in hand collecting feedback (and e-mail addresses). They actually seemed interested in what I had to say --- who knew?! Judging from their new model introductions, it appears they've been listening.

Plus I like espresso.
__________________
www.northeastsporttouring.com
'06 DL650
'88 FZR400
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #131
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Hey, did anyone look at the BIKES at the show?

For the record, the little 250 cc street legal dirt bikes by Kawasaki and Honda were pretty decent. Not for enduros, but definitely reasonable for everyday woods riding and urban commuting.


Of course we did.



The other side...



Also thought this one was interesting...



Sorry. The Zero girls were on break when I got to the booth.

Speaking of Kawasaki, the new color on the KLR looked cool...



BTW, great meeting you and your lovely wife this weekend, Doc.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #132
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedPower's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: On a Trailer near you
Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
And yet... Ducati keeps beating their sales goals and are growing market share while Suzuki motorcycle was and still may be close to life support.

It ain't all fluff, and they've probably done more development (and delivery on the development) than most, if not all, of the Japanese manufacturers. They've studied and reacted to what the market's wanted-- expanding beyond pure sport bikes, improving reliability, and lengthening service intervals. And they've done this while still keeping their distinctive cachet. It's currently a very smart and well-run company.
Thank You!
Well Said

DavidBanneronce again, Ducati thinking T&A will sell bikes. (#2 and #5)

it's 2013 fer chrissakes...the bikes still break and they're still too pricey. meanwhile, suzuki had an old fogey hanging out by the gixxers and hayabusas...because those bikes sell themselves (stone cold reliability and performance).

maybe Ducati needs to budget less money for marketing fluff and more for development






21K on a 999
36K on a 1st Gen Hyper
16K on a 1200 Multi
11K on another 1st Gen Hyper
1500 on a Panigale & no failures

Just lots of Gas, Tires & Oil Changes
Sure I've had to the check the valves, but after the intial break-in they've held good.
Only 4 sets of belts & now with the Panigale.....bye, bye belts

They may be a little more $$$ than the Japanese bikes but when most see one there's no mistaking it's a Ducati.
Japanese bikes on the other hand are cookie cutters.

I own an FZ1 also & everyone asks "what is it? Kawasaki? Suzuki?" etc.
15K & counting, the bike has been issue free also, but if it wasn't for the hard hitting powerband, it would have no Character.
That's why I will always own a Ducati
But to each their own.

Here's some "assets" some were looking for
__________________
Trailerama

RedPower screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:39 PM
RedPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #133
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post
Motorcyling is intrinsically exclusive -- how many bikes do you see out there compared to cars? Ducati is just more EXPENSIVE than others.

I went to the Ducati display and was very impressed. Along with having all their new bikes easily accessible to look at and sit on (some other places -- e.g.Triumph -- were cramped, though Suzuki was very good), the female reps were actively walking around talking to everyone, with tablets in hand collecting feedback (and e-mail addresses). They actually seemed interested in what I had to say --- who knew?! Judging from their new model introductions, it appears they've been listening.

Plus I like espresso.
It all comes down to money. They cost more so they have more to spend on display space and marketing. Don't get me wrong I like them...alot, but I can't see spending that much on my hobby.

I also wouldn't categorize motorcycling as "exclusive" from what I've seen people who are new to it are welcomed in to the fold and I've been involved in many of the different internal clicks we have (sport bikes, pirates, choppers, vintage, dirtbike guys) Everyone seems pretty cool except for the occasional harley snob. There are more cars on the road because for most people they are more practical and easier to drive.
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #134
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MCGMB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
It all comes down to money. They cost more so they have more to spend on display space and marketing. Don't get me wrong I like them...alot, but I can't see spending that much on my hobby.

I also wouldn't categorize motorcycling as "exclusive" from what I've seen people who are new to it are welcomed in to the fold and I've been involved in many of the different internal clicks we have (sport bikes, pirates, choppers, vintage, dirtbike guys) Everyone seems pretty cool except for the occasional harley snob. There are more cars on the road because for most people they are more practical and easier to drive.
Agreed, it ALWAYS comes down to money, no matter the brand -- the issue is how you choose to allocate your marketing funds. The Big 4 spends on TV, radio, billboards, internet, social media, race contingencies and so on -- certainly far far more than Ducati does in the aggregate, in the US anyway as far as I can tell. So as a prospective customer, where would I rather see a manufacturer spend their marketing dollars if forced to make a choice -- on TV, radio, etc...OR friendly reps listening to what I have to say, all the while sipping espresso.

I know which I'd choose. Please don't tell me you'd rather watch TV?
__________________
www.northeastsporttouring.com
'06 DL650
'88 FZR400
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #135
Oilhed
MarkF
 
Oilhed's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 3,755
What I loved about Ducati: naked bike, trellis frame, cool motor and no hi-tech stuff. I guess those days are gone.
__________________
MarkF

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014