ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #26881
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
5.5 hrs in the saddle today for 100.4 mi. I had 95 mi. when I got to the house, so I rode around the neighborhood to make up the difference. Garbage miles, but I really wanted my first century.

Everything from my navel to my knees is on strike. I'll be in my bunk.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #26882
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
5.5 hrs in the saddle today for 100.4 mi. I had 95 mi. when I got to the house, so I rode around the neighborhood to make up the difference. Garbage miles, but I really wanted my first century.

Everything from my navel to my knees is on strike. I'll be in my bunk.
Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
That's the one.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #26883
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
5.5 hrs in the saddle today for 100.4 mi. I had 95 mi. when I got to the house, so I rode around the neighborhood to make up the difference. Garbage miles, but I really wanted my first century.

Everything from my navel to my knees is on strike. I'll be in my bunk.
I love it!!
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #26884
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,833
File this under WTF?!

165mm stem?!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #26885
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
165mm stem?!
Didn't know such a critter existed.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #26886
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Didn't know such a critter existed.
Caption said 'custon made.'

Uhh yeah. I'd say!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #26887
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,903
I got to ride for the first time since Dec 5th (according to Strava [don't hate]) and it was a blast! I actually got two rides in this weekend. That'll happen when it is 70 degrees in mid-January and there is no family obligations to meet. Although I feel pretty good right now, I am betting I will be stiff as a 2x4 tomorrow when I wake up. First ride was 5 miles at the local semi-flat trail. Then 8 miles Sunday at a new trail here in town. The Sunday one had mud in places I have never seen before, so it was a dirty fun mess!

Quick question. I noticed Saturday that the bike is moaning or squeaking a good bit. It seems to be from somewhere below me, so I am guessing the crank Does that just mean I need to clean and lube it really well? I normally hose it off after every ride or two. Probably need to double check to see if there is any grime stuck in there.

Or just use my "one-year of free maintanance" from the LBS since I bought the bike new and let them figure it out.
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #26888
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I got to ride for the first time since Dec 5th (according to Strava [don't hate]) and it was a blast! I actually got two rides in this weekend. That'll happen when it is 70 degrees in mid-January and there is no family obligations to meet. Although I feel pretty good right now, I am betting I will be stiff as a 2x4 tomorrow when I wake up. First ride was 5 miles at the local semi-flat trail. Then 8 miles Sunday at a new trail here in town. The Sunday one had mud in places I have never seen before, so it was a dirty fun mess!

Quick question. I noticed Saturday that the bike is moaning or squeaking a good bit. It seems to be from somewhere below me, so I am guessing the crank Does that just mean I need to clean and lube it really well? I normally hose it off after every ride or two. Probably need to double check to see if there is any grime stuck in there.

Or just use my "one-year of free maintanance" from the LBS since I bought the bike new and let them figure it out.
If you have to ask, I'd say 'take it to the shop.' Right now, they shouldn't be too busy.

If you need the bike ASAP, lube up the chain (and make sure to wipe the excess off!) and see if that helps. If not, then start looking at the BB/crank area. There's an off chance its the QRs that aren't quite tight enough.

Noises are a bitch to track down sometimes.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #26889
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Quick question. I noticed Saturday that the bike is moaning or squeaking a good bit. It seems to be from somewhere below me, so I am guessing the crank Does that just mean I need to clean and lube it really well? I normally hose it off after every ride or two. Probably need to double check to see if there is any grime stuck in there.
I've had that happen twice. Each time I could swear the creaking sound was coming from the crank, when it was actually coming from the rear axle, which needed tightening.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #26890
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,903
Thanks Gummie and Aurelius. It is definitely time for another lube, and I have not checked the rear axle to make sure it was tight, probably important!

While I am asking questions... My brakes sounds like a pack of hyenas whenever I touch them. Light pressure, full OMG I'm gonna DIE!!! pressure, whatever. They s.c.r.e.a.m. It seems like if I clean and sand the disks lightly the noise goes away, for about a mile. Then as soon as some dust gets on there it is right back to howling. I realize my bike is an "entry level' nice bike with lower level components(Trek Marlin) but still, I do not hear any other bikes when I am out riding.

Doesn't really matter though. They still lock up whenever I ask of them, so they have plenty of stopping power. And it lets those behind me know I am slowing
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #26891
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
While I am asking questions... My brakes sounds like a pack of hyenas whenever I touch them. Light pressure, full OMG I'm gonna DIE!!! pressure, whatever. They s.c.r.e.a.m. It seems like if I clean and sand the disks lightly the noise goes away, for about a mile. Then as soon as some dust gets on there it is right back to howling. I realize my bike is an "entry level' nice bike with lower level components(Trek Marlin) but still, I do not hear any other bikes when I am out riding.

Doesn't really matter though. They still lock up whenever I ask of them, so they have plenty of stopping power. And it lets those behind me know I am slowing
It's the semi-metallic pad material. My Stumpy does the same thing. Once, they wear out, I'm going to an organic pad.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #26892
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
any mention of the bike and/or riders dimensions?
if we're talking about someone of the GS size ranges with a high Ape Index, it might not be out of the question,...

i wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of someone too fond of the frame they've got to get one that actually fits trying to kludge it into "sorta' fitting",... but it would be interesting to know more of the back story.

(heck, i've got 160mm stems on early MTBs, but i am a GS-sized guy with a high Ape Index, and MTB Top Tubes were shorter in the early days,...)


cheers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Caption said 'custon made.'

Uhh yeah. I'd say!

M
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #26893
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It's the semi-metallic pad material. My Stumpy does the same thing. Once, they wear out, I'm going to an organic pad.
It can't simply be a matter of organic vs. sintered brake pads. Both my Stumpjumper and Superfly 100 have alternated over time between noisy and quiet brakes. The brake pads on both bikes are factory originals.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #26894
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It can't simply be a matter of organic vs. sintered brake pads. Both my Stumpjumper and Superfly 100 have alternated over time between noisy and quiet brakes. The brake pads on both bikes are factory originals.
Same here.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #26895
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,903
And the latest in our government looking out for our best interests...

The NETRMA (North East Texas Regional Mobility Association, or something like that) is holding a meeting tomorrow to discuss whether or not to ban bicycles on a brand new toll road in my home town. This is not a toll road like most of you are used to. It is two lanes with a shoulders on each side as wide as a lane. This is a road built for the future, with not much traffic now but built with the ability to expand to multiple lanes going each direction in the future.

Anyway, due to the very large shoulders, low traffic, and gentle grades this is now one of the most popular roads in the area to ride on. Why someone thinks it is a good idea to ban bicycles is beyond me, especially in a region with some of the highest obesity rates in the state. Anyway, if any one reading this can be there, the meeting is at 1:30 PM January 22, 2013 at:

Baymont Inn
410 Hwy 79 South
Henderson, TX 75654

To my knowledge the only roads prohibited from bicycles in Texas are those part of the Federal Interstate System. Everywhere else they have full rights of other vehicles. Due to that I do not know what authority the NETRMA has to do this, but I suspect since the meeting is called they think they can.
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015