http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #12018
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Could I have some opinions please?

Hey chaps,

I've just moved to Switzerland and want something fun to beat around the area on the weekends. I've found this RD03 on my doorstep and spent some time looking through this (incredible) thread but this one has been tinkered with (seems like its with good stuff) and I just wanted to get some insight into whether or not you guys would view it as an attractive build.

http://www.motoscout24.ch/de/d/honda...1552&vehtyp=60

If you could kindly let me know if you think its a good bike, I would really appreciate it.
bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #12019
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
Hey chaps,

I've just moved to Switzerland and want something fun to beat around the area on the weekends. I've found this RD03 on my doorstep and spent some time looking through this (incredible) thread but this one has been tinkered with (seems like its with good stuff) and I just wanted to get some insight into whether or not you guys would view it as an attractive build.

http://www.motoscout24.ch/de/d/honda...1552&vehtyp=60

If you could kindly let me know if you think its a good bike, I would really appreciate it.
It's certainly not original and those WP front forks and the single disc with the Brembo caliper look very appealing for any serious off road. So if it's dirt you want to pound I would say...yeah go for it. The asking price might seem high to some but then again you get what you pay for right? And only 20,000 kms....just a baby. I like it.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #12020
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,849
Other than that odd sqare headlamp (that all the Swiss bikes seem to have), I can find nothing wrong by studying the photos. The PO took pains to prevent paint being worn off the tank by adding those black areas near the saddle. That's the point where my boots wear on the tank so the bike was shown a bit of extra love.

You can change the front fairing and lamps by getting parts in Germany so it looks like a proper AT.

As with any fork conversion, you will want to make certain that the fork travel was built correctly so the front wheel does not contact the frame or top triple-clamp on full compression. Only fiddling with the bike or trusting the word of the owner/builder can tell you this.

Is the rear suspension altered to compensate for the front? Difficult to tell from the photos.

Crashbars are an important addition since the RD03 bodywork is starting to be difficult to find.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #12021
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
I just wanted to get some insight into whether or not you guys would view it as an attractive build.
I would buy it. But then I'm not a stock kind of guy. I believe in altering a bike to suit MY needs. I'm sure that one is done properly since it's Swiss.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #12022
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
Agreed, it looks like a beauty.

The only (hopefully) minor issue that I can see, that it is advertised with 26KW. I guess it was registered this way to meet some regulations of it's time.

I would check with some local bikers if it is possible to register this bike with full power and most importantly via what method is this bike's power reduced. Is this done via an (easy to be removed) carb mod or a different camshaft (would not be that great).
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #12023
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Thank you gents, you have given me some points to consider and some good questions to ask the seller next week. Appreciate the wisdom!
bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #12024
Gummitarzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
Honda, take heed:

"Since the beggining of times, the men of the earth planned the arrival of that who'd come to be the most perfect masterpiece of mankind. Historians have found several messages from our ancestors which heralded the arrival of the machine which would make the dream of the Man come true. THE LEGEND."

A post on our local Portuguese Africa Twin Forum, by our member J, who has just drunk the inspiration wine and came up with this most excellent essay. Cheers, J

Link: http://africatwinpt.forumotion.net/g...6-15.htm#13737
Nice one
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #12025
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Agreed, it looks like a beauty.

The only (hopefully) minor issue that I can see, that it is advertised with 26KW. I guess it was registered this way to meet some regulations of it's time.

I would check with some local bikers if it is possible to register this bike with full power and most importantly via what method is this bike's power reduced. Is this done via an (easy to be removed) carb mod or a different camshaft (would not be that great).
It is normal for RD03's from Switzerland. You can increase to full power by changing or modifying carb intake boots. Reduction vas done via lowered inside diameter of boots, you can just cut it out, or get new ones from Germany.
svestenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #12026
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 755
Anybody have experience with both the Touratech and African Queens seats? I'm leaning towards the AQ as it is taller, but comfort is the huge factor here...
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #12027
SulytS
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulytS View Post
I've recently bought a rd04 1990 and was making some strange noise. I decided to open the beating heart of the twini... bang.. cann rod damage, can anyone point mi a good deal on those parts. Piston pin, conn rod, ring set gasket set and if you now anything important please do say.What did they done before????

The oil metalic filter that is on the bottom of the engine had lots of debris...I think ths was the main reasean...
SulytS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #12028
ZORBA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORBA View Post
Need your help guys...
My bike wouldnt start when hot, changed the fuel pump with a facet, still wouldnt start when hot and now it doesnt start at all, even when cold.
Any help?
Going slightly mad here...
This morning, without doing anything, the bike started...
Then, I disassembled the on-off switch, sprayed it with contact cleaner, went for a short ride and started it a few times.
All went well...
I ll do some more riding to verify tomorow.
ZORBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #12029
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORBA View Post
Going slightly mad here...
This morning, without doing anything, the bike started...
Then, I disassembled the on-off switch, sprayed it with contact cleaner, went for a short ride and started it a few times.
All went well...
I ll do some more riding to verify tomorow.
Good show!! You mean the ignition switch or the emergency stop switch on the right handle?

Africa_Twin screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 02:30 AM
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #12030
ZORBA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
The emergency switch on the right handlebar...
I hope it is this one causing the problem.
I''ll test the next few days and report.
ZORBA is offline   Reply With Quote