Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I plan to use the existing handlebars, controls, speedo, etc. and mount to the KTM triple clamp. I cannot come up with any reason to change these if they will work. I have a minor problem with mounting the Harley brake line to the KTM caliper because they are two different style of bolts, but I have an idea on how to fix this. The stock riser puts the handlebar position is too high and too far back, but I need it because the speedo housing is the top bar clamp. So I cut off the bottom bulk, leaving me with 1.5" risers. Harley uses bolts from the bottom that go through the top triple clamp and thread into the base of the bar clamp, but the KTM bolts into the top triple clamp from the top, through the bar clamp, with the bolt head nested below the handlebar. I decided to use the KTM method.

dpetersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

I got the forks and bars on. Now, I realize that I have a biased opinion, but... with those spindly 39mm Showa forks gone, those beefy 48mm WP forks change the entire look of the bike. It looks way more badass. And since I am ever conscious of weight, the WP forks weigh the same as the Showas.

I have the frame height set here at 8.5", which is about the same as the Kawasaki KLR 650 and the BMW GS 800, and slightly more than the popular BMW GS 1200. Both the KLR 650 and the GS 800 use a 21" front wheel also as I am. The front end will come down slightly without the knobby on it. The new tires will be here next week. The back wheel is currently a 150/80 16 that I will be switching to a 140/80 18 as soon as my wheel is done being laced. That will bring the back end up another .75". Trying the bike on for size, everything feels good. I don't feel "scrunched" like I do on the stock Sportster. My feet are back and I'm leaning slightly forward, more cafe style. I can put my feet flat on the ground. I think this will be the ideal set up for the type of terrain I want to cover. Next is the fairing.

[

dpetersak screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 10:05 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

wrthg

I decided to christen this bike the warthog. I sent my side covers to my little bro' yesterday along with some images I found online. He has a small shop in southern Illinois and does custom graphics. I'm not sure what he will come up with, but he's an amazing artist and I know it will be awesome.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 892
That front fender looks dumb. Everything else is Awesome!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I tried to think of another way to do the front fender, but with an inverted motocross fork with that much travel, I didn't come up with anything better. I think I'm stuck with that style.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
I have one of those fenders on my dual sports bike. Whenever I hit mud or water it doesn't stop it from hitting my face. You should really look at another front fender. You thank yourself for it later.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,224

Really nice job thusfar - impressive.

I rode a little sporty for a while - I always regretted selling that thing... even moreso when I see what you are doing with yours! Live and learn, I guess...

Keep up the good work!
Krasniewski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,364
Digging your build man.

I am contemplating retaining the belt drive on my dual-Sportster as well. I am curious as to how it will hold up to real off road conditions though.

Regarding your fender, have you considered a low mount design ? Maybe something that attaches to to the fork guard mounting points ?

I will be watching your thread with anticipation and may borrow some ideas if you don't mind.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Point one achieved: Looking super-cool on the bike ...

At the moment I think the looks of the bike are a bit out of balance. The rear end looks very massive compared to the light front. And I dislike the front-fender, too, sorry.

But we'll see were the build will take you. Watching Jimmy's build prooves: a good custom-bike never get's finished, there's always a better idea lurking around the corner.

Go on with your good work and keep us informed, thank you!

Kind regards, Bambi
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Point one achieved: Looking super-cool on the bike ...

At the moment I think the looks of the bike are a bit out of balance. The rear end looks very massive compared to the light front. And I dislike the front-fender, too, sorry.

But we'll see were the build will take you. Watching Jimmy's build prooves: a good custom-bike never get's finished, there's always a better idea lurking around the corner.

Go on with your good work and keep us informed, thank you!

Kind regards, Bambi

I think the out-of-balance effect is because it still has the solid rear wheel with a 150 tire. This should change with the laced wheel and 140 mm tire. To mount the fender lower I would have to use the mounting holes for the fork guards which are waaay down by the axle and would be a very looong bracket. I'll have to see what it looks like with the fairing.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
I agree that the fender looks a bit off. I think it's because the center of the arc of the fender doesn't line up with the center of the wheel. Were it me, I'd shim the fender so the front of it goes up and the back goes down - just to see how it looked. Maybe it'd work - maybe not.

The rest of the bike looks badass though. Nice work so far.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Subscribed because I like Sportsters. But WAY out of my league!
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
Barrett66
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Very cool, i like it so far.
Barrett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #29
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
Very cool. Fender doesn't bother me at all. Keep up the good work!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
The fender fit issue is because it is a Supermoto fender which are made for a 17" front wheel. Put one on a 21" wheel and they can look odd. It is fine to me.