Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #856
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
BW Rear Rims?

Mr. Bigwheel and all,

Is the 10x10 rim the one you would select if you could have your pick of new aluminum rims to replace the BW rear rim? I saw a couple of other discussions of 12 inch rims as custom replacements.

If a source for 10x10, zero offsets, with 125mm pattern set up to work on the BW rear could be located, what sort of demand would there likely be? Are we talking a couple, a couple dozen, or what?

I myself would grab two today if the prices were anything like the used original rims showing up on ebay ($125).
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #857
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
In my ridiculously extensive search for a replacement rear wheel, I have noted that nearly every tire pattern is made in the 12 inch size. 10 inch wheels open new horizons and opportunities for tire selection but in the 9 inch realm, you take what you can get.

The only vehicles that used a 9 inch rim were three-wheelers, some of the very early four-wheelers and, of course, our beloved BWs.

Therefore, I think the optimal size wheel would be a 12 inch and the 10 inch would present significant improvements but still be inferior to the 12.

There is one poster at http://www.3wheelerworld.com/forum.php who organizes group buys of around 20 to 25 custom manufactured 10 inch wheels for ATC250s. (yes, I hang out at three-wheeler forums. C'mon like you don't do anything worse) He plays his cards close to his chest as far as his source but I'm sure we could do something similar for a manufacturer who is willing to work with small batches.

Douglas told me where I could stick my custom wheel order if it was less than 2500 units, so does anyone know of a less self-important manufacturer?

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #858
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Rims...

Mr. Bigwheel & Soggydog,

What center opening diameter did you use on your modified 10 inch wheel projects?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #859
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
Mr. Bigwheel & Soggydog,

What center opening diameter did you use on your modified 10 inch wheel projects?
I did the modification to the wheel in discussion. The diameter is about .020 larger than the sprocket flange diameter on the rear hub.
Sorry but I don't remember the number. I just bored to fit.

I made a drill jig to do these if anyone else wants one done.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #860
Soggydog
n00b

Oddometer: 4
10" rims

Hey again,

I used a 4 1/16" hole for the center of the rim. But I recall using a 4" hole saw once before.

I wish I could produce a small run of rims for the BW, but I don't think that is possible. I don't work in the machine shop, so when I get stuff made at work I need to jump though a few hoops and buy the guys donuts or something. It is a union shop and I am not in it, but I can get some things done a couple times a year.

But, I could probably get some more centers cut out. They use a water jet and it only takes a few minute to cut the aluminum.

As long as we are talking about wheels, does anyone know if a 10" wide tire would fit on a 9" wide rim?

Soggydog
Soggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #861
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I can modify these rims in my shop any time.
Anyone that wants to do one,just send it to me.

In fairness to Mr. BW, as he sent me a wheel in exchange for me modifying one for him, I'll charge $25 to modify a wheel.
As this is less than what it cost Mr. BW, I'll do his next project gratis to even things out.

Is that fair to everyone?
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #862
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 115
Hey,

Here are some pictures of the rebuilding of my BW200.

The plastics are all new and from DCplastics. They fit better then I thought, only the headlightcover doesn´t fit good.
So I´m looking for a new one, original. Is there someone who can help me with this part?

Regards,

Röhrich
Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #863
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
I can modify these rims in my shop any time.
Anyone that wants to do one,just send it to me.

In fairness to Mr. BW, as he sent me a wheel in exchange for me modifying one for him, I'll charge $25 to modify a wheel.
As this is less than what it cost Mr. BW, I'll do his next project gratis to even things out.

Is that fair to everyone?
Fair.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #864
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 240
Bigwheel Bling. Mr. Bigwheel chooses to purchase his shifters from a cheap ebay vendor for $12. I chose to pay $29.95 for mine. The difference? They are likely made in the same Chineese factory, but mine have an IMS sticker on them. Also the extra funds likely go towards a healthcare plan for the 10 year olds working in the factory. I am getting ready to do a tuneup, but I can't remember the firing order for a 350 BW, can anyone help me?

Cliff h screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 02:47 PM
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #865
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Anyone have a link for a pdf manual for a BW200? Girlfriend bought herself a BW200 today and it needs a kickstart gearing piece(s)
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #866
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Anyone have a link for a pdf manual for a BW200? Girlfriend bought herself a BW200 today and it needs a kickstart gearing piece(s)

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0 just put in bw200
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #867
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
BWSwamper,

The sprocket carrier has to pass through the hole and it is 3 and 7/8 inches diameter. Shercoman bored out the center so perfectly that the fit is better than OJ's glove. $25 is an incredible offer in my book for the service. It would be nice if everyone who is interested in having a wheel modified would send them to Shercoman at the same time to reduce the setup time for him. That's probably not realistic, but I can dream, right?

epix1718,

Congratulations of the excellent girlfriend selection and welcome aboard. Another excellent source of information is the Yahoo group for BigWheels. There are pdf files that cover most of the manuals. You aren't a full member of the BigWeird Revolution until you're a member of the group:

style="border: 0px;"
alt="Click to join YAMAHABIGWHEELS"/>

Click to join YAMAHABIGWHEELS

If you go to the Yahoo site, you'll see that Cliff H. is the current cover model.

And coincidentally, I just found some IMS stickers for only sixteen cents each. I'm going to make a fortune re-badging and selling my Zongshen shift levers on eBay.

Regards,

Mr. BgWheel

Mr. BigWheel screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 10:33 PM
Mr. BigWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #868
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Pics of the gf's BW200 we picked up yesterday.. not the cleanest put only paid a few hundred for it. Seller was able to bumpstart it w/o the kickstart so wanting to get this fixed.. what typically on the kickstarter breaks/needs replaced?

85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/

epix1718 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:46 PM
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #869
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Pics of the gf's BW200 we picked up yesterday.. not the cleanest put only paid a few hundred for it. Seller was able to bumpstart it w/o the kickstart so wanting to get this fixed.. what typically on the kickstarter breaks/needs replaced?

Freakin Sweet Brat Bro
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #870
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Ideal Rim...

Just so as I am clear on this, the ideal replacement rear wheel for both the BW200 and BW350 based on current tire availability trends would be:

12 diameter x10 width, zero offset (5+5), 4 inch center opening, with 4/125mm bolt pattern.