ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #121
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 396
Jeez Cug, terribly sorry to hear. My crash in 1996 was vs a damn Bambi and I low sided and slid off the bike. Impact was at about 55mph.

Should I inject a bit of humour and ask if the deer saw the pulse brake light??

My best for a speedy recovery.

pilot3
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #122
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Should I inject a bit of humour and ask if the deer saw the pulse brake light?
It likely didn't. I could throw the bike around properly and hit the damn deer with it ...

I'll be fine in a few weeks. Hopefully they repair the bike properly.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #123
elan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Oddometer: 128
I hadn't been able to ride for about two weeks due to a hand injury, but I was finally to the point where I could take it out last night. I was pretty low on gas so was just going to hit the gas station and back home. Go to start bike and it would just crank and crank. I cycled the ignition a few times to prime pump, reset stepper motor to no avail. Was finally able to get it to start after cracking the throttle a bit. It idled fine from then on and subsequent attempts to start went fine. Annoying though... Any ideas? Two weeks really isn't *that* long to not start a bike (although it felt like forever to me!).
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #124
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I hadn't been able to ride for about two weeks due to a hand injury, but I was finally to the point where I could take it out last night. I was pretty low on gas so was just going to hit the gas station and back home. Go to start bike and it would just crank and crank. I cycled the ignition a few times to prime pump, reset stepper motor to no avail. Was finally able to get it to start after cracking the throttle a bit. It idled fine from then on and subsequent attempts to start went fine. Annoying though... Any ideas? Two weeks really isn't *that* long to not start a bike (although it felt like forever to me!).
If the tank was low and it sat for two weeks you could have had a little water in the gas that separated while sitting. They say its better to park a bike with a full tank because of this, on any motorcycle. Depending on the outside elements you can also get condensation as well with a low tank.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #125
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Any ideas? Two weeks really isn't *that* long to not start a bike (although it felt like forever to me!).
Stupid thought: kill switch? Bad gas? Ethanol gummed up?

Mine was sitting for 12 weeks without an issue. Started within a second. But from a full tank of gas.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #126
elan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Stupid thought: kill switch? Bad gas? Ethanol gummed up?

Mine was sitting for 12 weeks without an issue. Started within a second. But from a full tank of gas.
Wasn't kill switch - never use it. Who knows on the gas. I use gas that has "up to 10% ethanol". Haven't had any issues before, but my bikes never sit that long either. I have had an issue once or twice where the bike would try to start but it wouldn't idle (I'm guessing stepper motor related), but this scenario seemed different. Tank was pretty low though, so I'm hoping that was it. Took it out again today with no issues.

elan screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 06:02 AM Reason: I no spell good
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #127
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
My Tigger Roadie at 3500k miles has developed a clunk in the front end somewhere. After diagnosing it, I determined the steering head bearings were loose. I read around on several boards and found that apparently there is a TSB from Triumph regarding this issue. No one seems to have any real specifics, except they replace the double locking nut arrangement with a single castle nut and new washer. I decided for now to not take it in, since I don't trust my local dealer all that much and wanted to keep riding while the late season weather held, so I tightened the bearings myself. However, this may account for some of the complaints about the front end.
I posted this a little over a month ago and now my steering head bearings are loose again. A little over a 1k miles all road, so I guess this time I'll take it to the dealer and see what they have to say. I'll post again with the results, since the information about this mystical TSB has never been clarified.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #128
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Well, my neutral position sensor cleared up. Must have been a little dirty.
Now I have a larger issue. I washed my steed and went to put her up for the day. I locked the bars with the key and rotated them back to be sure it locked. I noticed the ignition key housing moving quite a bit. I turned it back again and the tit on the top triple clamp snapped off. WTF? Now I have no steering lock. This better be warranty.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #129
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
I will add that upon further inspection it appears that this was a bad casting. Not enough material was there from the git go as shown by the way it rolled the small piece that was there off. You can tell it was rolled off by the photo.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #130
CCBonnie
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I hadn't been able to ride for about two weeks due to a hand injury, but I was finally to the point where I could take it out last night. I was pretty low on gas so was just going to hit the gas station and back home. Go to start bike and it would just crank and crank. I cycled the ignition a few times to prime pump, reset stepper motor to no avail. Was finally able to get it to start after cracking the throttle a bit. It idled fine from then on and subsequent attempts to start went fine. Annoying though... Any ideas? Two weeks really isn't *that* long to not start a bike (although it felt like forever to me!).
I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago,I had one bar on the fuel gauge.I had to give it a lot of throttle and after a few attempts it started.
CCBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #131
elan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBonnie View Post
I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago,I had one bar on the fuel gauge.I had to give it a lot of throttle and after a few attempts it started.
Thanks for the follow up. Had it been sitting for any long amount of time before the issue? Do you recall what the air temperature was?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #132
CCBonnie
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 9
Hi,the bike only sat for two weeks,and I may have started it the first week and then the second week is when it did it to me.The temps were in the the 40s I think,this is the second time it's done that, the first time was back in early summer or late fall.
CCBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #133
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I posted this a little over a month ago and now my steering head bearings are loose again. A little over a 1k miles all road, so I guess this time I'll take it to the dealer and see what they have to say. I'll post again with the results, since the information about this mystical TSB has never been clarified.
Okay, I've been researching and contacted the dealer and according to them (see I qualified it) there is no TSB and never has been. Even though, I qualified my statement, the tech did let me see their computer with all of the TSBs and assorted issue with the banner on top saying it was private and not for the public.

The dealer also said there is no documentation about superseded parts or a different way to torque down the steering head bearings. They also said they would charge me the shop rate to tighten the steering head bearings and would only contact Triumph USA for a warranty claim if a part was "broken" or a clear problem. They would not contact Triumph USA based upon my say-so or internet chatter.

Based on this, I ordered the $1.25 washer and will do it myself, since there clearly is a difference in the parts listed in the on-line fiche and what is installed on my bike.

I don't know what the deal is, but something is weird about the whole steering head bearing thing and reeks of disorganization at the least.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #134
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Check your Fork Locks!!!!

Well, I took my T800 in to the dealer last weekend and had him look at the fork lock. I posted earlier that mine malfunctioned and rolled a piece of metal off of the top triple clamp. Upon further inspection there is a hole that is bored into the triple clamp for the locking pin to slide into instead of the old way with a tab welded on the outside.
With the lock engaged on my XC you could still see the end of the locking pin as it only sticks into the hole maybe a 16th of an inch. Prbably more like a 32nd. BUT, if you rotate the key into "park" the pin extends further into the hole, the way it should be. But you can't leave it that way for obvious reasons.
So we then ventured inside to look at a new bike on the showroom floor. Grabbed a key and it does the exact same thing. So if you bounce the bars a few times with it in the locked position it will move the ignition housing back just enough for the pin to pop out of the hole. Not good.
He sent the info to Triumph and they responded that they new about the issue but they "feel" that it still operates good enough. WTF?
So I guess a disc or wheel lock in in my future.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #135
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Okay, I've been researching and contacted the dealer and according to them (see I qualified it) there is no TSB and never has been. Even though, I qualified my statement, the tech did let me see their computer with all of the TSBs and assorted issue with the banner on top saying it was private and not for the public.

The dealer also said there is no documentation about superseded parts or a different way to torque down the steering head bearings. They also said they would charge me the shop rate to tighten the steering head bearings and would only contact Triumph USA for a warranty claim if a part was "broken" or a clear problem. They would not contact Triumph USA based upon my say-so or internet chatter.

Based on this, I ordered the $1.25 washer and will do it myself, since there clearly is a difference in the parts listed in the on-line fiche and what is installed on my bike.

I don't know what the deal is, but something is weird about the whole steering head bearing thing and reeks of disorganization at the least.
Well, I finally got around (working too many hours) to doing my steering head bearing tightening with the "new" washer as described.

http://www.triumphtalk.com/showthrea...-Head-Bearings

I don't know where he got his information, but it's all wrong. The "new" washer is the same as the thin steel washer under the top nut above the top triple clamp. You cannot remove the top castle nut and replace the top triple clamp with only this supposedly new washer.

Since I'm the only one with this problem I guess it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd set the record straight for anyone else who might come along.

Oh, and also, I will have my first warranty claim. While on a ride I stopped to fuel up and found the welded bar on the gas tank, the one that prevents the nozzle from being shoved too far into the tank, was missing. It was there when I started the ride, and now it's gone.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014