Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #256
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,913
Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to order a set for my Tiger. Being our bikes are the same color, it's nice to see what stuff will look like and how it fits before I order it. Thanks for being my guinea pig.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #257
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to order a set for my Tiger. Being our bikes are the same color, it's nice to see what stuff will look like and how it fits before I order it. Thanks for being my guinea pig.
Hey Tommy, I have a set of those HT bags that have sat in the garage since switching over to Wolfman bags. Check your PMs if interested.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #258
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,746
Is anyone here running the Touratech Zega 38/45 combo? seems pretty massive from the photos, and just wondering if I could get used to have that wide of a back end
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #259
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
For Wolfman fans

If you go with Wolfman Dry Bags, which I highly recommend, this is a way to get around having the balancing straps run across the pillion seat. I demeled slots in the plastic under the seat. Worked perfectly.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #260
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post

If you go with Wolfman Dry Bags, which I highly recommend, this is a way to get around having the balancing straps run across the pillion seat. I demeled slots in the plastic under the seat. Worked perfectly.

This is my favorite setup, even if the bags are a tad small. Wolfman did it right with the racks hugged in close.
I may sell my HT setup with the plastic cases, kick some $$ in and get this setup. Compact, waterproof, and a lot less likely to break your leg in a lay down or slapper. Superior setup for off pavement.

Got a pic from the back??

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #261
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Here ya go, Browneye

Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #262
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

There is just enough room for a tool tube on the left which I plan to add soon.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #263
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
I've got a similar setup to that, except using Givi racks instead of the Wolfman ones. They stick out just a little further, but on the other hand that makes room for a large tool tube on the left, plus they're removable in 30 seconds when I don't need them.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #264
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

I almost went with the Givi racks myself, for the same reasons that you stated. Can't go wrong with either rack. Now I just need to get my tent picked out before spring.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #265
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Yep, it's a good setup. Pretty compact. I just might be able to get by with their 38 to 40 liter capacity. I dunno, even the small Seahorse cases I have are 26 liters each, or 52 total. iM2600 Storms, like TT sells, are 36 each. And I could add a tool box to the extra space on the left, or even a fuel block, Kolpin or Rotopax.

Another bonus for your setup is weight savings. The expedition bags are about 11lbs total, my cases are 17 pounds each. No wonder I can feel them on the bike even when lightly loaded.

What I can tell you is the Happy Trails racks are very strong. The wolfmans are too, and they tuck in closer and higher, although it does seem they left quite a bit of exta room for the exhaust can. Probably for some heat to escape from it, distance the bag a bit. Berg does a nice job with his layout. No issues with aftermarket exhausts either - I could get my Leo Vince on there with those. That is probably my biggest issue with happy trails, the right front mount gets in the way of an aftermarket can headpipe. Very poor routing there. I also don't like the HT crossbar, it's way too low. I guess I could make a new one. Berg has his tucked up under the plate where it should be.

Thanks for the pix! Tidy setup.

Here's mine again, I'm pretty sure I've posted this one before. It's not a bad setup, I just think softbags are better for off road.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #266
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
This is my favorite setup, even if the bags are a tad small. Wolfman did it right with the racks hugged in close.
I may sell my HT setup with the plastic cases, kick some $$ in and get this setup. Compact, waterproof, and a lot less likely to break your leg in a lay down or slapper. Superior setup for off pavement.

Got a pic from the back??

They are coming out with a bigger bag soon! I talked to Eric several months ago and saw it in person. I emailed them about it a few weeks ago and they said they are very close to releasing it.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #267
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
They are coming out with a bigger bag soon! I talked to Eric several months ago and saw it in person. I emailed them about it a few weeks ago and they said they are very close to releasing it.
That is great news. Always liked the Wolfman bags but they are way too small for me.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #268
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:

I like your setup there, I'm assuming your Trax box is big enough for a helmet?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #269
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yep, it's a good setup. Pretty compact. I just might be able to get by with their 38 to 40 liter capacity. I dunno, even the small Seahorse cases I have are 26 liters each, or 52 total. iM2600 Storms, like TT sells, are 36 each. And I could add a tool box to the extra space on the left, or even a fuel block, Kolpin or Rotopax.

Another bonus for your setup is weight savings. The expedition bags are about 11lbs total, my cases are 17 pounds each. No wonder I can feel them on the bike even when lightly loaded.

What I can tell you is the Happy Trails racks are very strong. The wolfmans are too, and they tuck in closer and higher, although it does seem they left quite a bit of exta room for the exhaust can. Probably for some heat to escape from it, distance the bag a bit. Berg does a nice job with his layout. No issues with aftermarket exhausts either - I could get my Leo Vince on there with those. That is probably my biggest issue with happy trails, the right front mount gets in the way of an aftermarket can headpipe. Very poor routing there. I also don't like the HT crossbar, it's way too low. I guess I could make a new one. Berg has his tucked up under the plate where it should be.

Thanks for the pix! Tidy setup.

Here's mine again, I'm pretty sure I've posted this one before. It's not a bad setup, I just think softbags are better for off road.

Yes, I have looked at your setup as well and like it. Just not for off road. I plan on getting a Rotopax mount on the left. But the trip I need it on will not be for another year. I have taken a 5 day trip thru Texas riding the 3 Sisters and this is the setup I used with no other luggage other than what you see. I did motel it but there was plenty of room for everything I needed. I also Traveled two up with this setup and still had just enough room for everything. Youngest son and I took a trip to Barbers Motorsports for the vintage bike festival earlier this year. If I took the wife, all bets are off for having enough room in the luggage.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #270
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I like your setup there, I'm assuming your Trax box is big enough for a helmet?
Hi, Utah.
Yes. The Trax top box will hold a full face helmet with ease. Its waterproof but also comes with a dry bag as well. I have been really pleased with it. I haven't ridden off road with it although I could. I choose to use a tail bag instead of the top case for off road rides. It's aluminum so its not heavy but I like to save weight where I can when off the tarmack.