Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
LOL, the Highlands of Scotland = the Never Summer Land. Did a training course near Ben Nevis back in my Army days. Middle of summer and we froze!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRento View Post
I have a pair of XXL extra strong rubber gloves I bought on Ebay for around $4 (2.50), they are under my seat and work great if I get caught out. Not that it happens often in Scotland as I usually wear winter gloves all year round!
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
We have used Rain Off gloves for many years with excellent success.

http://www.rain-off.com/
+1....I carry mine in my riding jacket pocket. Work great, had them for over 40,000 miles now.
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,191
+ another for Lobster Claws. Pack to nothing and I've had mine for years now. They are also easy to slip on or pull off while riding too.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
Yep, that's what I was looking for. Thanks
If you get these gloves, get at least two sizes larger than what you wear, if you wear any sort of real protective armored gloves. I wear a size L gloves and the XL is WAAAAAYYYY too small.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
+ another for Lobster Claws. Pack to nothing and I've had mine for years now. They are also easy to slip on or pull off while riding too.
So, if you have a size L glove, do you buy a L in the Claws, or do you need to go XL or XXL? Just wondering what size to buy.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Big Box

Got my big rubber gloves at Lowe's or Home Depot. (can't recall) I put on my riding gloves and tried on rubber gloves over them until I found a pair that fit. IIRC they were $5 or so.

Yeah... It's a cheap solution, but they are black and the color matches the milk crate on back of the KLR just fine.
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
hammerhoot
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
rain offs

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
My Winter gloves from Tourmaster, (Winter Elite, I think) are long gauntlet types. Behind a short zipper in the gauntlet portion is a fold-out, permanently attached, thin, waterproof, over glove. Very clever! It folds so flat that you'd never know it was there, when it's not in use. The best part is that it's always there, not hanging on a peg back in the garage because you were sure it wouldn't rain today!
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
BlackDogZulu
XT fan

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
My Winter gloves from Tourmaster, (Winter Elite, I think) are long gauntlet types. Behind a short zipper in the gauntlet portion is a fold-out, permanently attached, thin, waterproof, over glove. Very clever! It folds so flat that you'd never know it was there, when it's not in use. The best part is that it's always there, not hanging on a peg back in the garage because you were sure it wouldn't rain today!
I had a pair similar to those back in 1980 or so. They worked brilliantly well, but I haven't seen anything similar in the UK since. Another advantage was that I used to cross the Humber Bridge every day, and had to pay a toll of 50p. The little zipped pocket that the over glove fitted in was ideal for the coin. I could pay without even taking the gloves off.

Thanks for the tip, will look these out.
BlackDogZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
pklop
shit happens

Oddometer: 71
spidi overgloves

Spidi has some (overgloves). The membrane h2out overglove. I have no experience with them.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Rain Off Comment

I know this thread is several months old, but for those searching for over gloves, my comment might be helpful.

I bought the Rain Off lobster claw gloves and they worked great for keeping the water out. However, I have one compliant and it's a big enough issue that I don't use them anymore. The length of the thumb is way to short. Because of this, for lack of a better term, the material that is in the crotch between my thumb and pointer finger isn't long enough to allow me to grab the handlebar. It's hard to explain, but essentially the material is held away from where the handlebar would normally rest in between your thumb and pointer finger which doesn't allow you to grab the throttle. Now before anyone says that I ordered a small size, let me be clear that I measured my hand using the companies measuring chart and ordered the size up from what they recommended. Maybe I just have overly large thumbs, but they gloves don't work for me, which is really disappointing given the cost of them. It shouldn't be a total loss as my wife should be able to use them when she rides pillion. They will just be way to big for her as she has much smaller hands then I do. But, it's not like she needs to hold on to handlebars and work levers and what not when she is sitting behind me. Anyways, I hope this helps someone in their decision process.

Rant over.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
Another vote for Aerostich lobster claws. They work and you always have them with you. Waterproof
x2
Work well and easy/small to stow when not in use.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRento View Post
I have a pair of XXL extra strong rubber gloves I bought on Ebay for around $4 (2.50), they are under my seat and work great if I get caught out. Not that it happens often in Scotland as I usually wear winter gloves all year round!

+ 1 - go to any online Safety Supply store and you will have many to choose from. Get the XXL so that you can wear them over regular riding gloves. And they are cheap there. Been using the same pair for 6 years and thousands of miles of rain. Local stores usually only have XL which are too small.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
+ 1 - go to any online Safety Supply store and you will have many to choose from. Get the XXL so that you can wear them over regular riding gloves. And they are cheap there. Been using the same pair for 6 years and thousands of miles of rain. Local stores usually only have XL which are too small.
Are you thinking something like this?

http://www.northernsafety.com/Produc...-Safety-Gloves

http://www.northernsafety.com/Produc...-Mil-18-Length

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ANS...XY2?Pid=search
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #30
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I'm cheap, and I'm a 90% dirt rider that likes a lot of feedback from the bars so I wear thin gloves.. I just bring a few pairs of XL powder free latex gloves surgical grade not that it matters. They've kept my hands dry and warmer on wet rides.

Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote