Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #2851
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post

Amazing....post some details on this...;)
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #2852
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,297
ThermoNixie - the making

For as long as I can remember, I have loved nixie tubes. I asked my father the other day and he said that I was fascinated with them as a child. About 6 months ago I found some neat nixie modules on eBay (from former Soviet Union). The module includes a nixie tube (0-9 digits), a binary decoder chip, and they are stackable. I bought several and they sat for a while.

I knew I would have some extra time over the holidays and planned to get this idea moving forward. I purchased a small power supply that buck-boosts 9-12V to 200V as this is needed to power the tubes.

So I wired one up...

Vid linky

Some people make clocks, I wanted to make a temp display. I knew of various special character tubes (deg C, Hz, omega, etc); I ordered a few of those as well. I had to de-soldier a digit display tube and install the special character tube (to display the degC character). Then I decided to include a leading + or - sign, I had to order a different special character tube and repeat the de-solder/tube swap scenario.

I prototyped using an Arduino however I am now using a stand alone micro-processor with a temperature sensor. I wrote an averaging algorithm to damped the change rate. This "averaged" data is shifted for proper display and sent to a couple of registers. Once the registers are full, the data is sent to the nixie tube modules. The included decoders covert the incoming binary numbers and light the proper segments.

My components are still on breadboards.

I am in the process of designing component placement and I will properly mount a single circuit board. The outer cover is from an old Apple ][ floppy drive I built the inner tray using a bandsaw, dremel and a brake. Still thinking about painting that portion.

I am thinking about future expansion. Mainly mating a temperature sensor with a driveway solar light (for power) and using a small Xbee radio transceiver to periodically send outside temp data to this box (I will have to add an Xbee to this box as well to receive).
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #2853
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,848
I used some of the material given to me to do this:

Raw stock from a generous Kirk!

Going to replace this crap rack and fit this space.

Some of the WORST welds I have ever seen, but they should hold for my application.

I plan on adding a shelf for the fridge, and another on top to put my assorted nuts and bolts. The left is open for the compressor, and on the right will go my SS tool box on the bottom.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #2854
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,938
Izzat galvanized or are we welding with a flux core wire feed?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #2855
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Izzat galvanized or are we welding with a flux core wire feed?
Both! I ground off the galvanized parts, and welded outside in a breeze, plus I held my breath and stepped back after each pass to avoid breathing in the fumes.

Still, flux core welding, and lack of experience, makes for some ugly welds. The only good looking welds didn't have much penetration.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #2856
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
For as long as I can remember, I have loved nixie tubes. I asked my father the other day and he said that I was fascinated with them as a child. About 6 months ago I found some neat nixie modules on eBay (from former Soviet Union). The module includes a nixie tube (0-9 digits), a binary decoder chip, and they are stackable. I bought several and they sat for a while.

I knew I would have some extra time over the holidays and planned to get this idea moving forward. I purchased a small power supply that buck-boosts 9-12V to 200V as this is needed to power the tubes.

So I wired one up...

Vid linky

Some people make clocks, I wanted to make a temp display. I knew of various special character tubes (deg C, Hz, omega, etc); I ordered a few of those as well. I had to de-soldier a digit display tube and install the special character tube (to display the degC character). Then I decided to include a leading + or - sign, I had to order a different special character tube and repeat the de-solder/tube swap scenario.

I prototyped using an Arduino however I am now using a stand alone micro-processor with a temperature sensor. I wrote an averaging algorithm to damped the change rate. This "averaged" data is shifted for proper display and sent to a couple of registers. Once the registers are full, the data is sent to the nixie tube modules. The included decoders covert the incoming binary numbers and light the proper segments.

I am in the process of designing component placement and I will properly mount a single circuit board. The outer cover is from an old Apple ][ floppy drive I built the inner tray using a bandsaw, dremel and a brake. Still thinking about painting that portion.

I am thinking about future expansion. Mainly mating a temperature sensor with a driveway solar light (for power) and using a small Xbee radio transceiver to periodically send outside temp data to this box (I will have to add an Xbee to this box as well to receive).
Just amazing...i always love the clocks...never see before the temperature sensor...;)

Can you give me some lighs on this...i mean...in material...how much can cost to make a small clock for my desk? do you have any idea?
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #2857
Monday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
You don't care to make a few more to sell, do you?
I'd love to make them to sell. Just pm me.

Yamaha Banshee I'm currently working on:

Instagram: darkmetalart

Monday screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 07:59 AM
Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #2858
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday View Post
I'd love to make them to sell. Just pm me.

Yamaha Banshee I'm currently working on:
With the miles and miles of sanddunes we have out here....these quads would go over BIG TYME out here!!

very cool!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #2859
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
Just amazing...i always love the clocks...never see before the temperature sensor...;)

Can you give me some lighs on this...i mean...in material...how much can cost to make a small clock for my desk? do you have any idea?
Nixie tube clock kits are available on eBay an the internet. Generally a kit will run about $100 and normally do not include the tubes. 4-6 tubes from Russia or Ukraine will probably be another $25. Soldering can be a bit of a pain without prior skill or a good soldering station.
Here is a start - http://www.store.tubeclock.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2860
Monday
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
With the miles and miles of sanddunes we have out here....these quads would go over BIG TYME out here!!

very cool!!
Did you notice the engine valves for axle/wheels?

I can't wait to post the finished product! That one is already sold.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #2861
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,535
Quote:

So I wired one up...

Vid linky

Love this !

Great.
KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #2862
Monday
Gnarly Adventurer

^
That is cool.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #2863
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer