Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #76
FJR_ski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Is it worth getting a Bear Canister or just a bag to hand it from a tree?
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #77
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
Pull the trigger on the "bair horn" the guy at the sporting goods store sold you, while your in your tent.

You'll sleep perfect, cuz you won't hear chit for hours. DAMHIK
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #78
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski View Post
Is it worth getting a Bear Canister or just a bag to hand it from a tree?
Depends. They are typically cylinders big enough around that a bear can't open it's mouth that wide, so big enough to make packing awkward, both due to size and shape (what fits around a cylinder?). I rent them, but haven't used them myself, preferring to keep camp clean, cook remotely, keep attractants out of the tent. If you've got trees big enough (we don't) that works too. I couldn't have climbed this...and they can reach quite a ways. Couple good photos earlier in the thread about how to do it.

aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #79
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
best bear advice

Get a copy of Bear Attacks by Stephen Herrero, was a prof at University of Calgary. I first read it back in the 80's but the info still holds.

World expert on why, where and when bears and humans have encounters of the hurting kind.

Good book, but don't read it before lunch.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #80
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
The book sounds interesting, and I haven't read it, but (tongue in cheek you understand) I wonder if the bears have either! People don't really fully understand other people, much less another species. But, one can always play the odds and gather as much info as possible, especially when it's about a criter that could possibly view you as food!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #81
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,864
There have been a few bear attacks in Yellowstone the last couple years. Here is an article about the attacks.

More interesting is at page 4 they start analyzing. Basically the bear population is up from 136 in 1975, to 602 grizzlies in 2010. And Yellowstone tourist visits are up, also. More interaction and people not doing the basic bear prevention.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...th.html?page=4
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #82
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,108
I have camped in bear country all of my life--and that's more years than I want to disclose here--including here in grizzly country. These days I bring spray, because the grizzly population is expanding, but there simply is no substitute for:
  • hanging food and food-related garbage out of a bear's reach, well away from your actual campsite
  • preparing food that doesn't send up a strong smell
  • maintaining a clean camp, and
  • not bringing a snack into the tent for nighttime nibbling.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #83
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Thumb

On raft trips, we leave the food on the boat - few trees, too much to do anything else with - but it's all sealed, camp and kitchen are at the points of a triangle with the boats at a reasonable distance. Haven't had an issue, but if someday I wake up to find the rafts shredded, at least it won't be the tents.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #84
klr650goldwing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Okay, so here is a question I havne't seen on this thread yet: The portable urinals that are available from Cabella's and other places; if one of those is in a tent and has some urine in it, do you think the urine odor would repell or attract bears:?
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #85
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650goldwing View Post
Okay, so here is a question I havne't seen on this thread yet: The portable urinals that are available from Cabella's and other places; if one of those is in a tent and has some urine in it, do you think the urine odor would repell or attract bears:?
Neither, it is much more interested, and can smell, your food. Pee into an air tight Gatorade bottle, problem solved!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #86
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Gatorade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Neither, it is much more interested, and can smell, your food. Pee into an air tight Gatorade bottle, problem solved!

Better hope you don't dribble!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #87
aquadog
Dude Buddha

I like the sealed bottle...and am getting to the age where most nights I need to. I have one portable rafting toilet with claw marks on it, apparently they'd had chili that night or the like, and a bear tossed the toilet around....
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #88
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
I have camped in bear country all of my life--and that's more years than I want to disclose here--including here in grizzly country. These days I bring spray, because the grizzly population is expanding, but there simply is no substitute for:
  • hanging food and food-related garbage out of a bear's reach, well away from your actual campsite
  • preparing food that doesn't send up a strong smell
  • maintaining a clean camp, and
  • not bringing a snack into the tent for nighttime nibbling.
What? No bad ass gun to blast your way safe?..no sidearm to brandish with superior human authority? You mean common sense over caliber? Huh.....what a concept.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #89
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
I hope this is a prank post, or sarcasm.

Otherwise, you need to read or experience more current information, as much of what you state is not consistent with current bear safety practice. Let's put this in perspective. You say you've seen black bears 4 times in 12 years. Last year I had a grizzly with two cubs munching berries across my driveway, about 75', watched them for about an hour. Same summer, another mother grizzly with 3 cubs wandered by, black bears are frequent neighbours. This is at home, not way out in the bush, I'm only 25 km to Whitehorse.

Grizzlies will defend territory or act to eliminate a threat, but do not typically view people as food. I have a friend and two acquaintances who have been mauled by grizzlies. In each case, the bear left them alone after believing it had eliminated the threat. My friend recalls thinking "if I don't stop screaming, I'm dead". He did so, the bear dropped him. I would add that it had him by the back of the leg where it joins the buttocks and was flailing him through alder bushes like a dog does with a stick. That's how strong they are. Or see the cabin pictures I posted. Grizzlies also respond well to bear spray, i.e. leave. So are you automatically dead if a grizzly attacks? No, use spray, play dead, they may leave you the worse for wear (none of my friends are pretty anymore), but alive, if you're lucky.

As others have posted, your luck changes if you're constantly exposed to the situation, but that's true of anything. Use a chainsaw a lot, you're more likely to cut yourself.

We had one unfortunate incident where a prospector was out staking, unknowingly walked right below a den with a mother griz and cubs. She probably killed him so quickly there was no time for any action. Given some distance, and no surprise, she may not have acted as dramatically as she did. Who knows? There is an element of uncertainty, they also have personalities. Some are mellow, some not.

If you think a black bear your size is the same strength, good luck. Not even close. While most black bears will run, some won't. Worse, some black bears DO think of us as food, and will initiate a predatory attack. If it's pretending not to see you, slowly stalking closer...bad signs. We keep it quiet, but do lose a tourist now and then to bear attacks, almost all to black bears. One young summer worker had "old school" advice and played dead when the black bear went for her - this in a public government campsite - and while the bear was eventually chased off by others, it wasn't pretty. They don't necessarily kill you before starting to dine. If it's a predatory black bear, make the meal as hard to get as possible, fight back - but only if contacted.

At another public campsite a black bear went for a fellow who was splitting wood, and he had the cool presence of mind to nail it dead center of the skull with his axe. Giant balls, and great timing. For the bear to get that close, it wasn't a bluff charge. If you're taking black bears casually, good luck with that.

I am probably more afraid of grizzlies, as I've seen what they can do, but given a choice, I'd almost rather deal with a grizzly than a black bear. Maybe it's the unpredicatability of a black bear, which I think may be higher than a grizzly.

Put another way, I've had a grizzly walk through my camp, about 25' away. I sat still, he ignored me, it was clear that he was sending a message: "MY woods". If that had been a black bear, I'd have been really worried, that close would mean intent.

Great post. Straight forward info without hysteria or fearmongering.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #90
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
Ely Minnesota

Last summer I stopped at the North American Bear Center in Ely Minnesota. It's a great source of information.

http://www.bear.org/website/
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote