ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #2986
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
i know florence is bigger, but further away.
i think if you ride for a day, and wash all the schmeg and salt off you'll be fine. "soaking in it" is probably what dooms bearings and chains. remarksman surely knows more deets.
i've been to christmas valley dunes. that was fun.
Florence is way better, bigger dunes and only about 1/2 hour further from PDX then Sand Lake. Sand is not good for chains and sprockets, but muddy silt is harder on bearings then sand.........just stay out of the salt water. And yeah, the soft sand will work your motor a bit harder.
Far as drunken rednecks it's not as bad now that they have Prohibition in the dunes, but still...........there is NO shortage of stoopid at either place

Christmas Valley is way fun but a long drive.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #2987
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Sand Lake

Believe it or not, despite it being just over a Cape from me I have never ridden there.

You are required to have a flag and get a permit. Given the drunken antics that go on with quads and buggies there, I've never bothered to rig up a flag holder.

It's pretty warm and sunny out here today -- another day like this and I expect a fair bit of melting should be happening on the coast side of the Coast Range, at least on south-facing slopes. Maybe Diamond Mill is a reasonable choice.
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #2988
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,566
Sunday 1/20

Thinking of trailering my new to me dirt bike (04 KTM 450 EXC) over to Jordan Creek in the TSF. I'm picking Jordan Creek as it's low and close to Tillamook (which has a forecast of 58 degrees on Sunday - WTF?). Thinking mostly forest roads if we can avoid the snow and maybe an easy trail or two. More of an easy shake down ride for me, excuse to get outside and maybe be a good opportuntiy for other noob riders to laugh at each other.

This is my first ride on this bike so probably won't be a long ride, and although it's got a plate, it's not street legal so may be doing a loop(s) back to the truck to fill the puny tank (And maybe adjust a thing or two). Thinking of being out there around 10:00 or so. Willing to meet up for breakfast or meet you out there if anybody is interested. Can haul one more as well if you're on the way/near SW Portland.

Will check PM's and this board before leaving.

-= Scott

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #2989
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
I would be up for a sand Lake, dune someplace ride. Don't think I would invest in a paddle tire or anything, but might be fun to polish my tire a bit....
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2990
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmm, Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Thinking of trailering my new to me dirt bike (04 KTM 450 EXC) over to Jordan Creek in the TSF.
[...]
Thinking of being out there around 10:00 or so. Willing to meet up for breakfast or meet you out there if anybody is interested. Can haul one more as well if you're on the way/near SW Portland.
-= Scott
Hmm, Sunday at Jordan sounds interesting, but later in the day would work better for me, like noon?

Don't head over Hwy 6 today without checking tripcheck.com -- road is closed due to suspicious death investigation this morning: http://www.tillamookheadlightherald....a4bcf887a.html
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #2991
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Brian,

Meeting there at Noon works for me. You have a place you like to meet-up, not that familiar with the area? Actual ORV area works for me, hopefully it's still open.

-= Scott

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #2992
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Meeting there at Noon works for me. You have a place you like to meet-up, not that familiar with the area? Actual ORV area works for me, hopefully it's still open.
If you drive up Jordan Creek Road for about a mile, you cross a bridge (the first time you cross the creek on the gravel road), then just on the other side of the bridge are a couple camping sites and a large parking area on the left -- let's meet at the big parking area.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #2993
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Good deal

Sent via my phone-expekt typing erors!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #2994
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 974
How'd it go Scott?

"Creative use of what we have is part of the point of motorcycling"- Kevin Smith/Motorcyclist Magazine.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #2995
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Had fun. Ended up a late start as the roads sucked over the pass. The North Faces were cold and Icy, but the Southern Faces were great! I swear it was like spring time once we climbed out of the Wilson canyon. Snow was spotty up to about 1000-1200 feet or so. The snow spots are pretty icy though.

We only road for a couple of hours, but the main goal for me was to try out that KTM. Lots of power! Gotta do some more practice on it, before feeling confident on trails. We did try a few trails, one had a bit too much blow down (needed a saw), the other kinda degraded into a giant steep rut. Managed not to drop it on the trails, but did drop the bike 3 times at a average MPH of probably 2...it's a tall bike. Think I may have to work on my running start/dismount technique or pick my stopping places better!

Was great catching up with Remarksman, we'll have to do that again...in couple months...:)

Sorry left my Camera at home, maybe Brian will have proof we actually made it out.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #2996
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,583
ice is fun

Jan 2013 SWW ride from clapped_r6 on Vimeo.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #2997
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Inversion

Met up with Scott on Sunday -- the weather was interesting. It was below 40 down by the river, but I swear it was over 50 at the top of the ridge above Keenig Creek C.G.

Scott's new KTM looks fun!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2998
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Met up with Scott on Sunday -- the weather was interesting. It was below 40 down by the river, but I swear it was over 50 at the top of the ridge above Keenig Creek C.G.

Scott's new KTM looks fun!
No rage metal soundtrack and no guns. Complete double fail

Great looking bike Scott, congrats Is that a headlight guard I see? You've followed behind Brian before I guess.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #2999
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
No rage metal soundtrack and no guns. Complete double fail
if you can't appreciate the stylings of Sepultura, feel free to turn the sound off. also, technically it's "thrash"

can't help you with the guns though. it's called a redneck duathlon. we knew you would appreciate rapid fire
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #3000
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
we knew you would appreciate rapid fire
LOL. I did like the callout, thanks! I'd have appreciated the rapid fire more if he'd stuck with the sideways gangsta grip.

I wish I'd not seen any of it until after we go the dunes.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote