Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #15496
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The SW Motech skid plate is riveted together. There have been several that have failed, although they were seriously abused.
The Altrider skid plate is a fully welded assembly and offers excellent protection. Its somewhat pricey but well worth protecting your investment.
The altrider unit is very nice, but the quality comes at steep price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Unfortunate that the only picture they show is of a BWM F800! Idiots.
How hard would it be snap a shot of one on a tiger for them? I agree, idiots.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #15497
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
The altrider unit is very nice, but the quality comes at steep price.

Your paying 10 + grand for a bike. Whats a couple hundred to save thousands more in engine repairs? I wont even ride a bike off road without one.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #15498
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Your unexpected stone will be flung from the bike in front of you.
Ah, that must be why I never have the worry!

Seriously, though, I do believe in protection on the bike; I have a headlight guard, rad guard, and the Triumph aluminum sump guard. I don't worry about a rock denting my oil filter, though.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #15499
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
The flints we get on the chalk downs won't dent your oil filter, they will go straight through it. I had one pierce the coolant filter on my Ford tractor once, and I lost half the coolant in the middle of nowhere before I noticed the temperature rising. No coolant pressure is one thing, no oil pressure is something completely different. Having said that I have the Triumph guard, on mine
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #15500
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
I think the cheap, slip on plastic ones are the way to go. Funny, I had one on my street only Honda CBF, but you never see them on any of the "Adventure" bikes.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #15501
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 600
I've got Hepco Becker Jr. side cases on my 800 and my wife says there's not enough space between the bags and the passenger pegs. Is there such a thing as a passenger peg lowing kit? I looked around but didn't find one.

I was going to try the HB Xplorer or Alu-Standard but they look like they'd have the same problem.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #15502
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Your paying 10 + grand for a bike. Whats a couple hundred to save thousands more in engine repairs? I wont even ride a bike off road without one.
It is a lot more than that. We are talking thousands in farkles all together. If I can get a skidplate for $163 that works well instead of paying twice that, why wouldn't I? Trying to buy accessories for all three bikes, snowmobiles, my truck, firearms, and all the other hobbies I have can really be challenging. Especially with a family. I try to save money where I can. I have bashed the hell out of my stock skidplate so far and it has held up well, but I wish it had a little more side coverage, so that is why I am asking about he moose unit. I seem to get that same response quite a bit, when asking questions like this. "Oh don't be so cheap, just buy it, don't you know I would never ride MY bike without one?" It isn't about being cheap, it is about asking questions and weighing my options, rather than buying the most expensive piece on the market with the best marketing.
I know you ride your bike hard, as we have talked before. I would normally value your opinion, I just think you missed where I was coming from this time around.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #15503
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
It is a lot more than that. We are talking thousands in farkles all together. If I can get a skidplate for $163 that works well instead of paying twice that, why wouldn't I? Trying to buy accessories for all three bikes, snowmobiles, my truck, firearms, and all the other hobbies I have can really be challenging. Especially with a family. I try to save money where I can. I have bashed the hell out of my stock skidplate so far and it has held up well, but I wish it had a little more side coverage, so that is why I am asking about he moose unit. I seem to get that same response quite a bit, when asking questions like this. "Oh don't be so cheap, just buy it, don't you know I would never ride MY bike without one?" It isn't about being cheap, it is about asking questions and weighing my options, rather than buying the most expensive piece on the market with the best marketing.
I know you ride your bike hard, as we have talked before. I would normally value your opinion, I just think you missed where I was coming from this time around.
I hear ya. Apologies if I came off wrong. I probably shouldn't have quoted you. I do think the triumph skid is good too. I think I'm going to upgrade from the Triumph to Altrider this spring. I also think the riveted ones are asking for problems. I just don't think they can be trusted. I know how it is to have lots of toys. I guess it would be better to say... to not have a skid at all is not smart.

On a side note,
A friend of mine and I plan to race (race term used loosely here, more like try to finish) the Baja 500. We are having a problem getting a bike sponsor. We might end up riding my Tiger. We may get a chance to see if it will finish in one piece! I have the Ohlins rear installed, we will have the forks done if we do end up riding it. Everything else will basically stay on the bike. stay tuned!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #15504
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:

On a side note,
A friend of mine and I plan to race (race term used loosely here, more like try to finish) the Baja 500. We are having a problem getting a bike sponsor. We might end up riding my Tiger. We may get a chance to see if it will finish in one piece! I have the Ohlins rear installed, we will have the forks done if we do end up riding it. Everything else will basically stay on the bike. stay tuned!
That sounds bad-ass!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #15505
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
That sounds bad-ass!
Thanks, You guys can follow us at Road2Baja.com if you want. Were getting closer to the race so it will have more and more action as we get closer. Its basically just a blog. We haven't done much with it but we are trying to get it moving now.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #15506
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427

Altrider skid plate. The best quality piece of kit I have installed. Bar none.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #15507
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall109 View Post
Jphish/ EVOM

My XC does the same thing on washboard rd. FWIW, I read a few forums on Triumph Rat Net where some folks have isolated and attributed it to "chain slap" on the protector in the low RPM range when the tension is lower. Buggers the hell out of me.

Good write up, I went into BMW with the intention of buying the 800gs but eventually bit on the XC after multiple test rides...not disappointed at in the bike. Just wish there was more a community like BMW has.
There are quite a bit of Triumph gatherings throughout the year. Triumph just started getting back to popularity over the last 5 years here in the states so the community will continue to grow.
That being said, I like mixed bike gatherings better.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #15508
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
That sounds bad-ass!
+1

Quote:
Thanks, You guys can follow us at Road2Baja.com if you want. Were getting closer to the race so it will have more and more action as we get closer. Its basically just a blog. We haven't done much with it but we are trying to get it moving now.

Awesome...rather you then me though
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #15509
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post

Altrider skid plate. The best quality piece of kit I have installed. Bar none.
Do you have to remove the skid plate to get to the oil drain plug when doing an oil change?
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #15510
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury264 View Post
+1

.rather you then me though
+1
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote