Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #136
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Are you satisfied that the bike's been put to right? One of the reasons for writing off is that it's difficult to make as new again or close.
Most of the damage was cosmetic. Took the headlights off, dent in the tank, small tear in the seat, radiator, handlebars and controls etc. Abit of damage on the engine cases as well. They basically replaced the LHS of the bike.

I haven't ridden it yet but those that have say its all good.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #137
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Life is not without it's risks. We can sit alone in our bedroom and are unlikely to be hit by a moving vehicle. Other things might happen to our bodies if that is a life choice. ..

Riding a bike has risk. Building and running a Hot car might have risk? Things happen all the time, not to be graphic, but evey single activity we engage in comes with a certain unknown level of risk.

All we can do is accept that we are not in control and that we need to keep in our lives what brings us joy.

Riding is about living in the moment, somedays when I feel spooked I am extra careful but the extra care sometimes is a distraction so I focus on my riding technique. Riding well usually makes for a safer ride. Riding well is about paying attention to everything around you well in advance and riding that way makes it safer. Nobody can predict the future, things do happen, that unseen gravel on a corner kind of situation.

Maybe the OP had an angel on his shoulder or maybe it is lack of attention brought on by distraction? Nobody will ever know what will happen on today's ride. Be the best rider you can, know mistakes may happen, attempt to leave a margin for error and the rest is beyond our control.

Children certainly bring us joy . Spending that motorcycle time with your kids would be time well spent.

How we live our lives and what we value for ourselves and our children is a personal matter. Everything in life cannot be predicted, to not ski, not play football, not ride on the back of a horse because of fear something can happen is to stop living the best life we might have been given.

I don't know if you want conformation or are seeking reasons to continue riding? This is a question many of us have considered at sometime. There is no answer .

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #138
astroguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Life is not without it's risks. We can sit alone in our bedroom and are unlikely to be hit by a moving vehicle. Other things might happen to our bodies if that is a life choice. ..
Riding a bike has risk. Building and running a Hot car might have risk? Things happen all the time, not to be graphic, but evey single activity we engage in comes with a certain unknown level of risk.
All we can do is accept that we are not in control and that we need to keep in our lives what brings us joy.
Riding is about living in the moment, somedays when I feel spooked I am extra careful but the extra care sometimes is a distraction so I focus on my riding technique. Riding well usually makes for a safer ride. Riding well is about paying attention to everything around you well in advance and riding that way makes it safer. Nobody can predict the future, things do happen, that unseen gravel on a corner kind of situation.
Maybe the OP had an angel on his shoulder or maybe it is lack of attention brought on by distraction? Nobody will ever know what will happen on today's ride. Be the best rider you can, know mistakes may happen, attempt to leave a margin for error and the rest is beyond our control.
Children certainly bring us joy . Spending that motorcycle time with your kids would be time well spent.
How we live our lives and what we value for ourselves and our children is a personal matter. Everything in life cannot be predicted, to not ski, not play football, not ride on the back of a horse because of fear something can happen is to stop living the best life we might have been given.
I don't know if you want conformation or are seeking reasons to continue riding? This is a question many of us have considered at sometime. There is no answer .
Vivo
This is what we all understand in living.....and this was very thought out and well put.
Thanks
astroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #139
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Hugely late to this thread; I didn't see it earlier.

Echoing the sentiments of others, only you can decide when to quit.

HOWEVER -- I think you made a big mistake ignoring the "Bad omens" and your gut and going on the trip anyway. It's a FACT that this kind of stuff lowers your confidence -- and decreased confidence is what makes you crash, not the "Bad juju."

IE -- listen to your gut -- if something feels off, DON'T RIDE.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #140
Racersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Once, in 1969, I looked down at the freeway moving beneath my 305 Honda, thinking what it would be like to fall off at that speed (65 mph). Right there I decided that if that was going to be a worry, either stop riding, or quit worrying. Now, 43 years later, I have tried to ride cautiously, anticipating danger, and coaching others to do so. I still race dirt bikes, and ride the street, at times well over 100 (I'm not under oath here). Motorcycles are dangerous, that's a fact. But most of us weigh the risks against the freedom, the wind, the speed, the agility, the smells, etc. I enjoy riding, with others or alone. Cars no longer impress me, with bikes that hit 105 in first, or others that can loft jumps on a motocross track that test all you skills.
If an accident happens, I will try not to have it be my fault, even partially. But should it occur, it don't want to regret the many many miles I have spent on bikes.
Racersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #141
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
I had two accidents that certainly made me think about it. Neither my fault but both had the potential of being fatal as they involved high speed moving large vehicles. Certainly they changed my attitude to riding and my riding overall. I never considered quitting but had I, I would have walked away without regret. Plenty of other activities to do in life besides motorcycling. Likely I would have bought a more expensive sportscar.

Road riding today for me is admittedly less enjoyable. It is the main reason I trail ride and do track days. I still enjoy road riding but I keep seeing more and more reckless moves on the road. Rare is a day ride that I do not see something risky... certainly makes me think.

But I also believe that when it is your time no matter what you are doing you will not avoid it.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 09:24 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #142
Erik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I recently sold my bike. I found I was riding it less and less, I also didn't like the idea of payments on something I wasn't using, so I figured sell the bike use the equity and buy something that I don't feel obligated to ride. I also had a very very close friend get killed riding two years ago. I made the decision then to get back in the saddle.. But of late I found that whenever I went riding I was as focused on the bad as much or more than the good.. Always thinking what if this or that happens.. Truth is I think I'm more afraid of serious injury than death.. at least if I'm dead I'm not suffering.. I'm not big on pain.. For me the worst thing would be to end up in a wheelchair, eating through a straw.

I also think that at least for me having a bike (I've had one continuously for the last 15 years, after a 15 year hiatus previously) Is something that defines me as a person.. I think that for me a large portion of the pleasure I got from having a bike was and is as much for the camaraderie, as much for being a motorcyclist as it was for the actual riding. So I think that what may make it so hard for me and others to give it up even though we know it's dangerous, that our deaths or incapacitation would hurt so many others is that it's a part of who we are, and that we feel we are giving up a part of ourselves, a romantic part of ourselves, that not being a rider somehow diminishes who we are, or who we see ourselves as..

Erik screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:50 AM
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #143
dukethedog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I always trust my gut. When I listen to it, things go well. When I don't, they don't. Funny thing how that works....
01' HD Heritage Springer
09' Bimota DB7
dukethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #144
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
fixed

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 07:32 PM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #145
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
I started riding at a young age, and could never get enough of it, every day all day during summer vacation, as long as I could afford gas, I rode.
When I first got married, I slowed down and put time into family trips, house stuff, etc, but as I get older, I am back to wanting to ride all the time. A day without a ride is a wasted day in my book, just not much point in it for me, killing time...
I accept the risks and do the best to reduce them using brain power, not loads of protective gear.
I want to be able to ride, and if I can not, I am not sure what I would want to do for fun.

So I am not going to quit until I can no longer sit a bike, or can not remember what a motorcycle is....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #146
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
This is a silly question. You quit when it fails to be rewarding. Simple, really.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #147
UNO_RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I've been riding since I was a young kid, over 30 years. Mostly dirt bikes and few street bikes here and there. Riding for me has always been a large part of my life. I've taken breaks on many occasions, but I'm always reeled back into it…. I think a lot of it has to do with the adventure; and the ability to just get up and go somewhere, anywhere to clear your head and enjoy the scenery, smells and open road. There's nothing like it, especially in the west.

Nevertheless, I’m currently taking a break from street riding because I’ve become a father for the 1st time a few months ago (at the age of 40). I’m not taking a break because the associated risk, although there are many, but rather the time commitment involved. I don’t want to miss certain milestones in my infant daughter’s life…her babbles, sitting up, crawling, walking, 1st words, etc. I already feel like I’m missing these milestones by having to work, but as we know there are certain sacrifices that we have to make in life. My only contribution for making up for lost time is to spend as much of my free time with my daughter and my wife as possible.

I’ll continue to ride dirt bikes every Sunday and Wednesday night (in summer) as it requires only a few hrs and it helps clear my mind and keeps me in shape. Am I going to return to street riding, sure, but for the time being I’m content playing in the dirt and with my beautiful daughter.

My only contribution to this topic is; if you're thinking about hanging it up, hang it up, but always keep your helmet and boots. You never know what may change your mind again---know for a fact, the rode gods will call to you and you’ll ride again---it’s what motorcyclists do.

2014 KTM 500EXC; Gold Valves RaceTech, FMF, EURO MAP, 14/50
2011 KX450F, Race Tech, Scotts
UNO_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #148
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,700
Timely reading of this thread for me. I have been riding street since 1990, a few year hiatus in there. I had an accident in 2008 and shattered my arm. I work with my hands ( chiropractor) and did all i could to get back as quickly as possible: my now ex did not work nor show any incentive to (wonder why I am single?). I basically had to take care of myself as well as my family. It sucked and was very painful.

I didn't want to end my riding because someone elses mistake (other driver) so I restored a bike and started to ride again. I told myself i would quit when I decided, not because of anyone else.

Now, I am single, even more issues depend on me than before. I have a 20 year old daughter, and even if I hardly see her, i know what i mean to her in her life. I have to walk , feed and take care of my dog and for those of you who know the bond between man and dog, he really depends on me too. If anything happens to me, I have no one to help me. My income would stop and i would lose everything.

I guess that sucks the joy out of riding for me. Lately when i go out i can't wait to get home. I feel compelled to ride, but I feel I am ignoring that feeling in my gut.

I am heavily leaning towards selling my bike and just keeping my equipment. Maybe later on, who knows.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #149
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
IMO, never ignore the gut feeling. Get out now and maybe later you'll come back to it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #150
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,739
I have been a rider since I was about 12 yrs.old. Got my first 'street' bike at 15. No license, no insurance, bike plated in my Mom's name. I am now 55 and sold my last bike ('10 GSA) last spring. My wife sold her '11 KTM 990 this past fall. We just weren't having fun anymore.

We thought it would work out having one bike between us that we could both ride (990). Go on holidays, one riding, one following in the Xterra, with the dog and camping gear. Take turns riding and driving. It worked out quite well actually.

But it still wasn't 'fun' anymore. Too many restrictive traffic laws (40 kms over limit, bike seized, license suspended etc), anal drivers, high insurance costs. It all added up and we said fuck it, sell the bike and see what happens. Well it is now 6 months later, no bike, no riding, selling off some of the excess gear we have and I really don't miss it all.

Guys at work were amazed I quit. I was the one coming in every day, rain, sleet, the dark of night, year after year. Always on a bike. A couple guys started riding again because of me. I will most likely ride again. Maybe in a year or two. For now it is fine.