Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #76
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Biggest gain I found was sewing a pocket onto the lower 2/3 of the bottom of the bag. The sleeping mat slips in there - and the inflatable pillow straps to the top of the sleeping mat.

A lot warmer and less disturbed sleep without the mat skating around - and without a big air-gap between the bag and the mat. And a much better nights sleep from a pillow that doesn't run away.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #77
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,198
I have been using the Go Kot w/o mattress for the last few years http://www.campingcot.com/?section=original. Could possibly use mattress if it packs small. The Exped SynMat 7 Air Pad with Pump looks pretty nice http://http://www.rei.com/product/78...-pad-with-pump
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #78
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr View Post
i believe the r-value is the same for both. The 9 is both wider & longer so you're not as likely to roll off it if you thrash around a bit at night like i do. I use the 7 because it packs smaller. I found after changing from the big agnes--which slipped & slid all over--that i didn't roll off of the exped.

If you are a bigger guy, you might want to go for the 9 just to make sure you are fully on the mattress. Pack size isn't that much different but i have a space problem (sportbike) so i go with the 7.
7-r4.9
9-r6
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #79
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
One thing to keep in mind is if you are a side sleeper, as I am, you'll want that extra 1" of thickness. My first mattress was a Thermorest, and I ditched it after my first week of camping off the bike. My goal now is to find a smaller pack size pillow...I have a very nice memory foam pillow I have been taking with me, but I would like something that packs a wee bit smaller. I was at REI looking today, but with no luck. The search continues..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Pillow!!! Did someone say pillow??? I have about sixteen of 'em--feather, foam, inflatable foam, combinations of the above--Finally found the solution. Exped!!! They make an inflatable pillow that folds as small as a Red Bull can--no kidding. Expensive? Yes, ~$35 but it inflates in about 3 or 4 puffs & is seriously comfortable. Sleeps warm too. After you buy as many as I have, trying to get a good one, $35 is nothing.... I usually fold my riding pants & put the pillow on them to make it thicker. Forgot that.

As to the thick mattress, I'm a side sleeper & have no trouble with either one. When inflated & you sit on it, it goes flat, but sleeping spreads your weight out so you don't even feel the rocks under your tent.

There are two other guys on this thread that might have as much gear as me. You know who you are....
Big side sleeper here... Still rocking the Downmat 9 DLX and added the large Exped inflatable pillow. So comfortable I sometimes use it at home.

Last year my wife sewed up a Ray Way quilt with a draft stopper... that thing is amazing.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #80
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
7-r4.9
9-r6

My Bad You are correct. I didn't look it up. Now that I did, I see that the 9 is also thicker. Probably where the added R-value comes into play. Somehow, I was thinking that the downmat was the thicker one. It seems they are both the same in that respect. 7 is 2.8" thick & the 9 is 3.5" thick.

Good call--that keeps everybody honest....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #81
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
7-r4.9
9-r6
Downmat\Synmat 7 is 7cm thick, which is 2.8 inches
Downmat\synmat 9 is 9cm thick, which is 3.5 inches

The DLX versions are 6" wider and a few inches longer.

As for pillows I'm still on the hunt for something a bit smaller packing. I went through a town, down is crap, if it compresses to the size of a shot glass then it will also do so with your head on it.

I have I believe a Kelty luxury something and I picked up another from walmart which was the travellers pillow, it's a regular pillow thats been chopped in half. No, it doesn't pack that small, I put it in an old MC cover bag, which is something like 6x10x2. the pillow is simply folded in two and shoved in there, the Kelty fits into another one, same size, compresses better.

Key is to not store them that way. Just like your sleeping bag or pad.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #82
jgarp99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Exped Synmat
jgarp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #83
jodyz121
Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer: 291
Go-Kot/Synmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
I have been using the Go Kot w/o mattress for the last few years http://www.campingcot.com/?section=original. Could possibly use mattress if it packs small. The Exped SynMat 7 Air Pad with Pump looks pretty nice http://http://www.rei.com/product/78...-pad-with-pump
I have them both, since I planned to put the mattress on the Kot. Forget it. The Synmat 9 don't need no Kot, and I'm a side-sleeper. Didn't really like the Synmat at first but then I broke down and got the Exped Air Pillow. I have lots and lots of camping pillows, but this one is perfect. The mat and pillow are a perfect combination for me, and the packed size and weight are fantastic.

Also, this is what I sleep on every weekend in the man-cave while the family makes noise.
jodyz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #84
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,311
Just had to throw this in.

Dillon shooting mat
wall mart $29.00 tent
Coleman sleeping bag.

Upgrading to a military down sleeping bag that takes up less space. It was my Dads.

I bring 2 pillow cases one for clean clothes one for dirty. I use which ever is more comfortable at the time.

If I put anything on the rear seat or I can't get on the bike. I have a top case but don't like it.

David