ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 232 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #6646
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I put together a quick route on map source Friday, and took the bike out on Saturday. Couple of questions;

The Montana shut off a couple of times. I would hit the power button and it jumped right back in place, no problem.
Is this the loose battery issue? It happened twice. One when I was on the smooth blacktop. If its the loose battery, does the foam plug go above or below the battery? Or, is this possibly just a loose connection in the mount?

Second, it shows me on the screen how many miles to destination, but does not give me a ETA, or distance to next turn, can I add those fields to the map/route screen? I know these are probably answered elsewhere, put I'm not all that proficient at searching out answers. Or, I'm just a lazy bas&@rd..
Thanks
Jeff
I've had similar problems regarding shutdowns. It doesn't happen often and I don't recall the roads where it happened as being especially rough. However, I will try the earplug trick even though I cannot understand why the battery connection would affect the power while connected to the AMPs mount.
AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #6647
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDave View Post
I will try the earplug trick even though I cannot understand why the battery connection would affect the power while connected to the AMPs mount.
I was curious about that too at the time but mine was shutting down very often on one ride where the roads weren't rough, but I was revving the engine through the gears and it shut off or gave me the "Wrong Battery" message repeatedly until I stuck the earplug in the battery case.

My wife's did exactly the same and was cured the same way. The earplug seems to dampen the battery's movement.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #6648
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 472
A while back, I set the Montana so that when I put it in the car mount, it switches to Automotive profile; and when I put it in the rugged mount on the motorcycle, it switches to Motorcycle profile. I noticed recently that it didn't switch. I searched everywhere I could think of and can't find where that setting is. Do any of you guys know where that is?

TIA...
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #6649
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I was curious about that too at the time but mine was shutting down very often on one ride where the roads weren't rough, but I was revving the engine through the gears and it shut off or gave me the "Wrong Battery" message repeatedly until I stuck the earplug in the battery case.

My wife's did exactly the same and was cured the same way. The earplug seems to dampen the battery's movement.
Alright-y, then. Done. And thanks.
AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #6650
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
A while back, I set the Montana so that when I put it in the car mount, it switches to Automotive profile; and when I put it in the rugged mount on the motorcycle, it switches to Motorcycle profile. I noticed recently that it didn't switch. I searched everywhere I could think of and can't find where that setting is. Do any of you guys know where that is?

TIA...
Setup/Profiles/Menu/Set Mount Profile.

I agree, it is hard to find.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #6651
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,776
Oh faaaack. My 600 will be here on Wednesday courtesy of FedEx and GPS City. Diving in and holding my breath. I'll still keep one of my 478's around as a back up but hope I can remember all of these posts when the time comes.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #6652
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post

TIA...

I had the same thing happen. Why does the Montana "forget" stuff???

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #6653
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I had the same thing happen. Why does the Montana "forget" stuff???
I think sometimes what happens is a software update breaks things like that, and you have to go back and restore the connection again through the menu.

Just a guess on my part, though.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #6654
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think sometimes what happens is a software update breaks things like that, and you have to go back and restore the connection again through the menu.

Just a guess on my part, though.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk

I did update the maps around the same time I noticed the issue. I am not saying that caused the issue but that is the only coincidence I can think of.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #6655
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Do we know of a config file that holds those settings? If so, maybe we could backup that file prior to an update and then restore it after, and this would prevent it "forgetting"?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #6656
Riteris
Dessert Runner

I think it might be more user error on my part. AAAAAUUUUGH!!!

Under "External Power Only" in "Set Mount Profiles," the selection was "Last Used." I changed it to "No Change." I am guessing the change happened when I plugged it in to update the maps.

Can we get a "No Change" selection on all the features of this thing?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #6657
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Is the power cable an integral part of the rugged mount? I can't find a pic that shows how the cable hooks in. I've always been able to have a cable on each bike and just move the cradle to the bike I was using. I don't even see a separate part number for the power cable though. Am going to need the rugged cradle with power cable for each bike?
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #6658
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
Is the power cable an integral part of the rugged mount? I can't find a pic that shows how the cable hooks in. I've always been able to have a cable on each bike and just move the cradle to the bike I was using. I don't even see a separate part number for the power cable though. Am going to need the rugged cradle with power cable for each bike?
Sorry it is part of the rugged mount. But the car mount has a cable that can be disconnected, but the mount is only a snap in style.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #6659
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
At $35 each, it's easy to justify buying a Rugged Mount for each bike but it's also easy to make the mount movable, by putting a SAE plug on the end of it, and running a cable up to the steering head of the bikes. I used to do this until I bought the second mount for my DR. Actually I still have the SAE plug on each cable, it's just that I no longer need to move the mount over. I like having the SAE plug though because when I don't need to power the gps, I can hook up a Battery Tender to the bike.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #6660
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Do we know of a config file that holds those settings? If so, maybe we could backup that file prior to an update and then restore it after, and this would prevent it "forgetting"?
No idea if there is a config file storing those settings but I think it's more a matter of multiple files which make up the environment. It's always a good idea to back things up, but I am not convinced that a complete restore would re-establish things like "Set Mount Profile".

I've found it helps to just check once in a while, and if something looks or behaves differently, I try to restore it but not lose too much sleep over trying to figure out why it changed. But you're welcome to.