ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Boredsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
MITAS E-07 vs PIRELLI SCORPIONS

Anyone ridden both and can compare? Any input welcome - thnx!
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
PM Sent
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I haven't ridden Scorpions, but from my experience with Mitas E-07 i will say - if you are leaning more toward offroad (gravel roads, etc), then definately Mitas, if onroad (wet asphalt), definately Pirelli. I would say Mitas E-07 is better on non-asphalt than Heidenau K-60. For mileage I believe Mitas is better too (have done 15000km with rear E-07 on KTM 950SE) - but be aware, very little grip on wet asphalt!
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Boredsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you for that feedback. I had head that they were better than the Heidenau K60's in every respect, but I was surprised to hear about the wet tarmac grip part. Good thing I live in SoCal - it never rains :)

I was speaking to the Canadian Mitas distributor yesterday who said he is trying to get better shipping options to the U.S. - I suggested he should find a way to secure the distribution rights for all of the U.S. too and he said that was a great idea and he would get to work on it :)

He thinks he should have more inventory and better shipping options squared away in a month. He also said that the "DAKAR" version (with the stiffer sidewall) wasn't worth the extra expense in his opinion, but that he will be getting the DAKAR version in a 21-inch at that time too. The difference in price is negligible between the 2, so why not just have the extra reassurance?

I just hope Mitas doesn't start playing games with pricing.... Even with the Canadian shipping surcharge, I was quoted less than the K60's. More to follow I'm sure....
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Boredsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No other opinions? I guess there's a tire thread I missed.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
Thank you for that feedback. I had head that they were better than the Heidenau K60's in every respect, but I was surprised to hear about the wet tarmac grip part. Good thing I live in SoCal - it never rains :)

I was speaking to the Canadian Mitas distributor yesterday who said he is trying to get better shipping options to the U.S. - I suggested he should find a way to secure the distribution rights for all of the U.S. too and he said that was a great idea and he would get to work on it :)

He thinks he should have more inventory and better shipping options squared away in a month. He also said that the "DAKAR" version (with the stiffer sidewall) wasn't worth the extra expense in his opinion, but that he will be getting the DAKAR version in a 21-inch at that time too. The difference in price is negligible between the 2, so why not just have the extra reassurance?

I just hope Mitas doesn't start playing games with pricing.... Even with the Canadian shipping surcharge, I was quoted less than the K60's. More to follow I'm sure....

The Mitas looks the part and more!
I got to meet Colin with MX1Canada.com, the Canadian Mitas distributor, while at the Vancouver bike show. The Mitas Tires are really good looking with more opening between the blocks than a K60 and the dakar carcass is soooooo stiff, I can sit on top of the unmounted tire, and it doesn't collapse. Surely that has to count for something on loaded down big twins, touring offroad. The tread patterns are big and blocky too. Sure wanted to bring home a set to run on my 950!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Boredsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I waas quoted $250 U.S. shipped to my door in Los Angeles (for a pair of E-07's ((non Dakar)) in 990 sizes). Less than K60's or Scorpions from an unnamed U.S. distributor. The only thing holding me back is figuring out how much On-Road performance I would be giving up if I ran the E-07's?

C'mon, surely someone here has ran the Mitas tire on a 990.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,255

I say go for it and report back. It doesn't look like a real road worthy risk. Everyone seems to love the k60's for everything including road and that mitas looks more roadworthy than it. I'd run it for a long pave /dirt tour.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
edzt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Aw dude sort them toenails out
edzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
edzt...that's funny!
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzt View Post
Aw dude sort them toenails out
Thanks god that was a cut and paste from some other adv thread. Got to keep my reputation honorable on here....

Bump for OP.

Cody
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
From this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722554

And i said:

"Mitas Enduro Rear E-07 Size: 150/70R-18 Rated at 190 Km/h

I love this tire, and like all tires like this have compromises.
At first when you put it on it slides a lot (i love that lol ), then when it wears out a little it starts behaving better. On a unloaded bike (my Adventure 950 and i weight 150lbs) in the rain it slides a little as well, but if i have a passenger i am able to pull a wheelie so it does grabs in the wet.
In the dry, well is a tire that has capabilities to scratch the foot pegs on the floor, nothing more to say.
It did developed a few cracks but it was driven on rocky passes hard, did many wheelies but as of now is around 7.000 kms old and is right in the last 25% of thread left.
Always carried the tire full of air, never aired them down.
Off road is light years ahead of the MT90, but is not and enduro tire, but i think i found the perfect tire for this bike and me.

The price was about right at around 130$ which is really cheap here in Venezuela where the prices are usually twice that of the states.

Bottom line: for the price you get a good durability, ability to scratch the foot pegs, decent handling in the wet and GOOD handling off road.

Is it the perfect tire off road? No, but it does it pretty well.
Is it the perfect tire on road? No, but it does it pretty well.
Is a tire with 50/50 off road/on road, but it does the dirt a little better.

I tried it in sand, mud, dirt, gravel and rocks, it did all of them pretty decent."
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 166
Iam going to get a pair of the Mitas E-07 from MX1canada this mounth. They look great.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
It's one of the best "do it all" tires you can get for 950/990. It's truly decent for every conditions and even more. I didn't like front though, I think you are better off with some more off-road oriented front to catch up with E-07 rear. E-07 front will probably last forever but it lacks too much offroad grip for my taste. I used E-07 rear in combination with some Dunlop front (MT-18? - I don't remember) and liked it alot.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote