Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #2071
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Anyone have one of these Danny Gray BigButt seats? It has a built-in butt crack and looks pretty comfy. I need a big, comfy solo seat. Don't care how it looks.
Russell DayLong seat. Without a doubt, that is the one to go with based on your desires. I've met many long distance riders who bought several others before getting the DayLong, and wish they had just gone there first.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #2072
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those. A good seat is worth its weight in gold.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #2073
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Russell DayLong seat. Without a doubt, that is the one to go with based on your desires. I've met many long distance riders who bought several others before getting the DayLong, and wish they had just gone there first.
Well, yeah, I guess for a touring style seat the Day Long would be "it". But, they are BUTT UGLY.... Then again, the OP did say he didn't care about that, sooo....

Guess I was just thinking more in terms of what I personally would find reasonably acceptable in the looks dept. For that, the Mustang seats would be about my limit as far as size goes, and for me, even those a bit big and ungainly looking in most cases. At least for my 48. YMMV.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #2074
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
I have a Russell on my FJR and a Mustang on my sportster. The Russell is an amazing seat, but I also like the Mustang. I'd put the Russell as the best seat I've owned, with the Mustang a close second.

Mustang doesn't look too bad either I don't think. It's big, but not absurdly so.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #2075
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a Russell on my FJR and a Mustang on my sportster. The Russell is an amazing seat, but I also like the Mustang. I'd put the Russell as the best seat I've owned, with the Mustang a close second.

Mustang doesn't look too bad either I don't think. It's big, but not absurdly so.

I looked at the Russels, and they look super comfy. However, having the seat custom made means being seatless for a while.
What model Mustang is that? It looks nice and flat, which may be good for me, as I like sitting back more than the stock seat allows.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #2076
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I looked at the Russels, and they look super comfy. However, having the seat custom made means being seatless for a while.
What model Mustang is that? It looks nice and flat, which may be good for me, as I like sitting back more than the stock seat allows.
It's the Super Touring

http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Super-Touring

There's another model called the Sport Touring, it's only 1" narrower. Not sure exactly how it compares in comfort or looks:

http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Sport-Touring

When I bought mine I picked out the one I wanted on Mustang's website then typed the part number into ebay's search engine. Saved around $100. It gets more comfortable as I ride on it, took a thousand miles or so to break in. There were a few pressure points at first, but they are gone now. I sat on an older seat mounted on a bagger, it felt great. Mine's not quite there yet but is still very good at 4,000 miles.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #2077
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Quote:
It's the Super Touring

http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Super-Touring

There's another model called the Sport Touring, it's only 1" narrower. Not sure exactly how it compares in comfort or looks:

http://www.mustangseats.com/Category/Sport-Touring

When I bought mine I picked out the one I wanted on Mustang's website then typed the part number into ebay's search engine. Saved around $100. It gets more comfortable as I ride on it, took a thousand miles or so to break in. There were a few pressure points at first, but they are gone now. I sat on an older seat mounted on a bagger, it felt great. Mine's not quite there yet but is still very good at 4,000 miles.

Couldn't find that particular one, but I think I found a solo seat that looks like yours

Wide Touring Vintage Solo seat #76148
It's 14.5" wide! I'll put that at the top of my list.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #2078
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Must not make it for your year then. Mines a 99.

Just for visual reference my seat is 15" wide. It looks a lot bigger if I take the saddlebags off though. They kind of balance the look. I never take them off anyways so it doesn't really matter to me.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #2079
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I'm seriously looking at the le pera Cherokee seat for my 48.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #2080
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

I looked at some LePera seats, too, as the prices are pretty reasonable. I have to have a solo because of my luggage rack, so I was looking at the LePera Aviator solo seat. It's hard to say by looking at it if it would be more comfortable than the Mustang. The lip in the back looks a bit high, though.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #2081
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
I looked at some LePera seats, too, as the prices are pretty reasonable. I have to have a solo because of my luggage rack, so I was looking at the LePera Aviator solo seat. It's hard to say by looking at it if it would be more comfortable than the Mustang. The lip in the back looks a bit high, though.

You may want to look around on xlforum. Tons of threads there on nothing but seats for sportsters.

The LePera seats don't get real high marks for comfort. Some models are better than others, and I've never tried either, but the Mustang seats seem to garner the most praise for comfort.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #2082
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Guys on XL forum swear by their Mustangs. Just saying.

If you're concerned about being seatless with the Russell try to find someone that has a stock seat, and offer yours to them on trade. The one to send away can have tears or worn out foam, it doesn't matter. Maybe even find a used ebay special.

What year's your bike? I may know of a guy willing to do that, I forget what year his bike is. It's a rubber mount though.

Randy- Quit typing so fast. I was getting there.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #2083
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well, yeah, I guess for a touring style seat the Day Long would be "it". But, they are BUTT UGLY.... Then again, the OP did say he didn't care about that, sooo....

I don't think the OP had ever pictured in his mind something as ugly as a RDL. Those things are the end of the scale for ugly seats.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #2084
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I'm seriously looking at the le pera Cherokee seat for my 48.

That seat reminds me of the old OEM Sportster seat that came out in 1982...

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #2085
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Quote:
Guys on XL forum swear by their Mustangs. Just saying.

If you're concerned about being seatless with the Russell try to find someone that has a stock seat, and offer yours to them on trade. The one to send away can have tears or worn out foam, it doesn't matter. Maybe even find a used ebay special.

What year's your bike? I may know of a guy willing to do that, I forget what year his bike is. It's a rubber mount though.

Randy- Quit typing so fast. I was getting there.
It's a 2008 Nightster (3.3 gallon?)
Anyway, thanks, but that is all a bit too complicated. I'd rather just order the Mustang for $200 and be done with it. Everyone says it's good, so it probably is. If it's not, I can return it.