Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #31
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Africa Twin could probably be sourced for that price range... People do import them...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849916
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #32
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Not far off, however with the OP looking at bikes like the Quota, the @ is probably along his quirky lines of inquiry... that and they're rare as hens teeth in "merika".
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
Rustycage
Banned

Oddometer: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
- Yeah, but none of those are less than 400#'s. Hell the engine in the Uly has got to be half that. None of those old bikes are fuel injected & I haven't seen any of the newer ones, such as the Multistrada below $7500.

good luck..
Gran Canyon is fuel injected.
Rustycage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
- Yeah, but none of those are less than 400#'s. Hell the engine in the Uly has got to be half that. None of those old bikes are fuel injected & I haven't seen any of the newer ones, such as the Multistrada below $7500.

good luck..
Ya, tough to get down to 400lbs on a road bike with broad capabilities.

I don't think you are referencing Multi's as an old bike as they are injected.

Multi's (1000) may be purchased for 5k - just depends on version (S or non S), age, mileage and mods.

I figure my 2006 1000S, 37k miles, is worth 4k stock and 5.5k with mods.

There is an 09 1100 S here in town with 4.3k miles with an asking price of 8.8k.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
I'd take a look at the new Honda 500x. I've owned a KLR, BMW, Uly and many others. I would have to move the footpegs on the Honda but it fits the bill for me. Otherwise look at the 650 and *00 Beemers, they have a new 700 this year. Maybe a little over budget but nice. And the 650 X Cross country model is a nice scrambler type bike.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
SRG OP
SRG

Oddometer: 1,184
Africa Twin - cool bike (rare here), but way big/fat. I had a TransAlp and really did like it. If a modern version of that existed here ...

wizz - Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the smaller 620 MS - the forks/shock seem to be the weak link. Good to heat there are good/easy fixes. What do you like for gravel tires, there aren't a lot of choices in 17" fronts. Run a 120/80/17 rear on the front?

Ever ride a 1000 MS? Is there a big difference in the way they feel. I keep thinking the 620 will feel a good bit more nimble and lighter (it is +_30# lighter? w/ dry weight of 402#?) I also like the idea of the wet slipper clutch in the 620 (hope I have that right) vs. the dry ones in the 1000's. How's the clutch of your bike?

BryanCO - Again, thanks for the info. The Multistrada forum suggestion was good. if you have ridden a 620, please comment on the paragraph above.

SRG screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 05:26 PM
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #37
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post

There is an 09 1100 S here in town with 4.3k miles with an asking price of 8.8k.
I really wish I wouldn't have sold mine....one of the greatest air-cooled road riding bikes Ducati ever produced.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #38
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,350
given the parameters, I think all the good suggestions have been offered. It sounds like you are going to buy an MTS.

But I thought I would throw out a wild card - several have suggested the dl650, but the op isn't interested. Perhaps take a look at what a dl650 can be given a little help from the aftermarket. Much more rugged, and an a 2bros can adds a lot of character to an already fun to ride machine. As for me, I would take a dl650 over anything Ducati ever produced, and have a blast with it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #39
BryanCO
CO Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
given the parameters, I think all the good suggestions have been offered. It sounds like you are going to buy an MTS.

But I thought I would throw out a wild card - several have suggested the dl650, but the op isn't interested. Perhaps take a look at what a dl650 can be given a little help from the aftermarket. Much more rugged, and an a 2bros can adds a lot of character to an already fun to ride machine. As for me, I would take a dl650 over anything Ducati ever produced, and have a blast with it.
We're lucky to have so many choices which may fit each of our needs and wants but a dl650 over anything Ducati has produced is just silly.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #40
BryanCO
CO Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post

BryanCO - Again, thanks for the info. The Multistrada forum suggestion was good. if you have ridden a 620, please comment on the paragraph above.
Sorry, have not ridden a MTS620.

Have fun shopping!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar View Post
I don't think he likes BMW's
Some of us love them, and haven't had to replace our GS's fuel pump/filter/water pump/vapour lock/etc etc etc.

Doesn't matter though, he's not interested.

for 5grand he'd be better off with an old airhead but the V-Strom is about the only thing he'll get worth riding. but it will handle gravel okay and you can do a 300 mile day on it. Of course the OP said this:

good on gravel, better on pavement. Not too fat (< 400#).

And we all know a V-Strom 650 is about 490 pounds wet. So there goes that idea.
Gotta admit an old airhead GS (dead simple) well maintained and high miles for 5K is a good choice.
Maybe an old Transalp?
I actually liked the Scrambler idea quite a lot.

Would anyone here recommend a 5,000 USD used KTM SE950 with 80,000 miles on it?

(has there been one made it that long?)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #42
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
I have not ridden the litre bike, but there was an article a while back titled something like "do you need a litre bike". The author concluded that in most real world riding the nimbleness of the 620 is more usable than the litre's extra power. I have pilot road 3s as they are a great all around tire, haven't tried anything more aggressive but there are options out there. The bike is light, the range is not bad but not great. The stock forks are weak, but evolution suspension replace with gsxr innards or traxxion makes a kit. If I were to be in the market today I would either look for a cheap 620 as the suspension sorting is 2k or get an 1100s as that engine is sweet and everyone that has owned one talks about its amazing road manners. Check out webbikeworld.com for good info on the 620, canyonchasers.com and strada-avventurosa.com as well. Canyonchasers is particularly fond of the litre multi and avventurosa has nice off road farkles with pics. neither the multi or the strom are "off road" bikes but they have the travel to handle most surfaces. I have buddies with stroms, good reliable bike that does zilch for me. love the sound and feel of the duc, would only trade mine for the 1200 and the air cooled 620 and litre mills are quite bulletproof and not that difficult to work on. just my $.02.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Some of us love them, and haven't had to replace our GS's fuel pump/filter/water pump/vapour lock/etc etc etc.

Doesn't matter though, he's not interested.

for 5grand he'd be better off with an old airhead but the V-Strom is about the only thing he'll get worth riding. but it will handle gravel okay and you can do a 300 mile day on it. Of course the OP said this:

good on gravel, better on pavement. Not too fat (< 400#).

And we all know a V-Strom 650 is about 490 pounds wet. So there goes that idea.
Gotta admit an old airhead GS (dead simple) well maintained and high miles for 5K is a good choice.
Maybe an old Transalp?
I actually liked the Scrambler idea quite a lot.

Would anyone here recommend a 5,000 USD used KTM SE950 with 80,000 miles on it?

(has there been one made it that long?)
Myself included.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #44
SRG OP
SRG

Oddometer: 1,184
Thanks wizz.

I think the 620 Multistrada is a clear winner here. It's apparently better on gravel than I first thought and can be made better. It's very good on pavement. It's right at 400#. OK for 2 up. Good for 300mi. days and w/ bags can do week long trips. 6 speed and fuel injected - check. Very nice examples can be had for $4k. What's not to like?

Thanks to all who took the time to respond here.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Thanks wizz.

I think the 620 Multistrada is a clear winner here. It's apparently better on gravel than I first thought and can be made better. It's very good on pavement. It's right at 400#. OK for 2 up. Good for 300mi. days and w/ bags can do week long trips. 6 speed and fuel injected - check. Very nice examples can be had for $4k. What's not to like?

Thanks to all who took the time to respond here.

Well, I have ridden both, though just a short ride on the 620. I own an 05 1000s. The 620 mill is adequate, but I need more, hence the 1000. Twist the grip...accelerate. The 620 felt cheap, suspension, etc. It is built to fit into a lower price point, too bad Ducati never built a 620s, then I would say go for it. If you were closer, would be glad to let you ride my 1000, it feels very light, one of it's greatest attributes. The air cooled 620/1000/1100 mills are pretty bulletproof. I have had valves checked 3 times, 24,000 miles, never out. Have a friend with an 1100 hyper that runs the dogsnot out of it, never an issue in 30000 miles. Good luck, Scott.
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote