Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,155
Just to flip this, in the UK you can't buy a KLR650. No idea why, I think Kawasaki would sell them in good numbers (though perhaps they won't meet Euro emissions test?).
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,474
in my area, western PA, you'll see one usable bike(adv or standard) for about every 100 cruisers.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
in my area, western PA, you'll see one usable bike(adv or standard) for about every 100 cruisers.
Unfortunately, thats pretty much the norm from coast to coast. And it probably won't change. Very few people buy adv bikes for around town jaunts or touring. And its certainly not the choice for guys that ride with a pillion most of the time. Adv bikes will remain a small market compared to others for the forseeable future. How many outside of our circles like riding in the dirt? How many like to camp? Not too many.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #34
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,397
I just scanned this thread and thought I'd add that a lot of it is the complex government regulations, import taxes, DOT certifications, cost of making a model for US market versus for the rest of the world, etc. Why was the Super Tenere slow getting here? Had to make a US Spec version. Takes time, money, and if they aren't guaranteed to sell enough to recoup that added costs, then why do it? (Transalp)

I do love my Tiger 800XC!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #35
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post

The above quote is the reason why there are limited models in the Dualsport/Adventure arena. Although there are a fair share of DS/ADV bikes in the North GA area where I live, they simply don't compare to the sheer numbers of the cruisers or sportbikes that run up and down the roads. I do see the DS/ADV numbers climbing though, and there are more now than when I started getting into the DS/ADV bikes back in 2004.

In my opinion, we have a pretty good selection of bikes to choose from. I mean you can get anything from a 250 thumper up to a 1200 adventure bike, and a lot of choices in between. I started off on a DRZ400s, and have had 1000cc Adventure bikes. I now ride a "middle weight", the Tiger 800 XC and for me it is the perfect mix. I can only assume the 800 GS is the same. This is my 4th Triumph out of the 30+ bikes that I have owned, and I have never had an issue with either one of them. The cost of ownership is the same as any of the Japanese bikes that I've owned. Oil filters and oil cost the same regardless of the Manufacturer and the Triumph dealership is closer to me than any Japanese dealership.

In my opinion, there will always be something out there that is unobtainable. Why spend time wishing for something when you can use that time to enjoy what is there?

Dirtysouth screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 08:33 PM
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
The above quote is the reason why there are limited models in the Dualsport/Adventure arena. Although there are a fair share of DS/ADV bikes in the North GA area where I live, they simply don't compare to the sheer numbers of the cruisers or sportbikes that run up and down the roads. I do see the DS/ADV numbers climbing though, and there are more now than when I started getting into the DS/ADV bikes back in 2004.

In my opinion, we have a pretty good selection of bikes though. I mean you can get anything from a 250 thumper up to a 1200 adventure bike, and a lot of choices in between. I started off on a DRZ400s, and have had 1000cc Adventure bikes. I now ride a "middle weight", the Tiger 800 XC and for me it is the perfect mix. I can only assume the 800 GS is the same. This is my 4th Triumph out of the 30+ bikes, and I have never had an issue with either one of them. The cost of ownership is the same as any of the Japanese bikes that I've owned. Oil filters and oil cost the same regardless of the Manufacturer and the Triumph dealership is closer to me than any Japanese dealership.

In my opinion, there will always be something out there that is unobtainable. Why spend time wishing for something when you can use that time to enjoy what is there?
Very well said. And $12K isnt a lot of money for a great bike. And this is my second Triumph after quite a few jap models.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #37
bleedgrn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
What has happened in this thread caused me to remember a tidbit
from what is called "transactional analysis", which was and is a useful tool
for analyzing human behavior.

The tidbit is called "Why don't you / Yes, but". It involves a scenario in which
every suggestion made by one party is rejected by the other party who uses
a rationalization to justify a position which might in the cold light of logic not
actually make much sense.

Auf wiedersehen !
You could really make "Why don't you/ Yes, but" apply to most forum discussions whether they are constructive or instructive. This may have been how this thread ended up, but it was not my intention. I only was looking for how other people may have arrived at their personal decision to make a purchase of a bike. Mine was based on some limitations. The intent was not to have someone retort but to maybe agree.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
bleedgrn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
I agree with you. We should enjoy what is here, that is why I choose the Glee. By the time I am done farkling I might have bought a T 800 XC, which is what I really wanted. Just for fun, if you haven't watched "Portland to Dakar" on youtube, if you didn't love the T800XC before, you will after watching this

The Raiden Files - Portland to Dakar - A Riding Movie

Thought I would try and link it, but may not have worked.

Farkeling in progress.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Anyone seen a CCW bike? http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/
Designed in US, built in China. I admire their simple, classic designs and low cost. Just need more than that low-performance 250cc engine.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #40
bleedgrn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Designed in US, built in China. I admire their simple, classic designs and low cost. Just need more than that low-performance 250cc engine.
The CCW and the Hooligan look interesting. Not many manuf. selling bikes for those prices any more.

Farkeling in progress.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,407
A lot of the reason, that we are not getting the bikes the original poster asked about is because of this .....

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm

If you want to either get sick or fall a sleep that is a good read

It is simply about money, you cannot spend millions trying to satisfy the US government requirements for maybe 1000 bikes sold.

Back in the late 90's I had dinner and drinks with some big shots from a european car manufacturer. I had asked them about why they had put power windows on a special lightweight street legal track day car they were premiering. They told me that if they had put in manual windows it was enough of a change that they would have to re certify the car for the US market. Thats 3 cars for crash testing +all the other certifications required to sell here.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #42
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,510
Quote:
Originally posted by burmbuster
I will say that a greater percentage of europe's population rides motorcycles than here in the USA.
Quote:
Originally posted by bikerfish
I think these two factors sum it up pretty well. There simply isn't enough market share for every model of adventure bike. As the cruiser group ages, and the price of fuel rises, people may become interested in other types of transportation. That will undoubtedly lead to more awareness of the adventure segment. We are seeing it now with all of the BMW, KTM, and Triumph offerings. There are some other offerings as well, but they seem to be mostly testing the waters.

I used to be (and maybe still am) a Honda nut. I am into reliability, and don't care about refinement. I got tired of waiting for them to produce a middleweight adventure bike, so I went elsewhere.

I'm in the process of adventurizing my Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. It doesn't have very much suspension travel, but it suits me fine. I'm almost done assembling the luggage kit, I've added an aluminum skid plate Ram1000 made, and changed the gearing.

Of coarse, Honda now comes out with the NC700. That's OK, because I don't think it would have suited me as well as the Aprilia anyway, and I still have my old XL600 for the tough trails.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
bleedgrn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
A lot of the reason, that we are not getting the bikes the original poster asked about is because of this .....

If you want to either get sick or fall a sleep that is a good read .
Wow, think of the man (human) hours it took to research, compile data, defend, quality control all the information in the above page on "roadbike" restrictions by the EPA. This may be the most costly government funded agency to human kind. Still have "global warming"

Farkeling in progress.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I think these two factors sum it up pretty well. There simply isn't enough market share for every model of adventure bike. As the cruiser group ages, and the price of fuel rises, people may become interested in other types of transportation. That will undoubtedly lead to more awareness of the adventure segment. We are seeing it now with all of the BMW, KTM, and Triumph offerings. There are some other offerings as well, but they seem to be mostly testing the waters.

I used to be (and maybe still am) a Honda nut. I am into reliability, and don't care about refinement. I got tired of waiting for them to produce a middleweight adventure bike, so I went elsewhere.

I'm in the process of adventurizing my Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. It doesn't have very much suspension travel, but it suits me fine. I'm almost done assembling the luggage kit, I've added an aluminum skid plate Ram1000 made, and changed the gearing.

Of coarse, Honda now comes out with the NC700. That's OK, because I don't think it would have suited me as well as the Aprilia anyway, and I still have my old XL600 for the tough trails.

Is that a '68 Camero behind your bike? Awesome!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #45
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post

If you want to either get sick or fall a sleep that is a good read
In Australia many Government departments like sprouting the term "Worlds Best Practice".

Now in regards emissions and so forth someone then decides which major economic block has the "best" emissions standards. We align with that. End result is basically..Any engine sold there can be sold here.

Since we have no local motorbike industry to speak of no one gets their nose out of joint has has a fit to the local member. Therefore we get all kinds of stuff here. We basically can get anything that is sold over there.

Now occasionally someone has a whinge and then it's OK to sell anything that complies there or somewhere "equivalent".

Secondly because we are a bit slow on the uptake we also get some of the older models that are "left over". Good for choice but it can piss a few dealers off. The reason for all this is a top selling ADV bike is selling 300 odd a year so we either align / relax or no-one is interested.

Maybe everyone could just decide on one global standard.....

Oh yeah that global conspiracy thing..Sorry

Continue

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote