Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #3826
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 379
I'm looking for new decals for my 450 XCR-W and exhaust are the XCR-W and XC-F parts interchangeable? Other than wide ratio differences is there anything else different about them that would prevent same body parts and exhausts being swapped? KTM's XC bikes confuse me badly on what can and cannot fit/swap.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #3827
treestrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Clutch question

I bought a 530 xcw uesd(30hrs.) w/Rekluse Core Exp 2.0

So far so good but,Now that I have ridden it about 10 hrs. it seems to chatter a lot until I get moving and more the strain or up hill take off the louder the chattering noise. It seems to be quiet until it warms up.
Is this chattering noise the clutch disk asking for help?(damage)
I have read some about adjusting and unsure about doing an adjustment or changing springs? The clutch came w/the bike and I didn't get any extra springs or instructions.
treestrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #3828
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by treestrom View Post
I bought a 530 xcw uesd(30hrs.) w/Rekluse Core Exp 2.0

So far so good but,Now that I have ridden it about 10 hrs. it seems to chatter a lot until I get moving and more the strain or up hill take off the louder the chattering noise. It seems to be quiet until it warms up.
Is this chattering noise the clutch disk asking for help?(damage)
I have read some about adjusting and unsure about doing an adjustment or changing springs? The clutch came w/the bike and I didn't get any extra springs or instructions.
Yeah, probably needs adjustment. But I was only able to reduce chattering, never completely eliminated it.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #3829
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
The previous owner of my '09 530 EXC had installed a Rekluse Z-Start Pro, which has been a godsend for me as I re-enter dirt riding after a bunch of years of street and dirt road riding. It's adjusted to engage just above idle, so it's really functioning as a safety net to catch my screw-ups. I use the clutch most of the time anyway, and just act like the Rekluse isn't there. After I get my "legs" back, I might take it out for a while and see if I miss it.

I've found that oil choice makes a big difference in how it operates. I don't know what oil was in the tranny when I got it, but the clutch slipped a lot, kind of reminding me of a scooter, or an old Briggs-engined centrifugal-clutched mini bike. I switched to the Rekluse-recommended non-synth Rotella, and the engagement point lowered and narrowed quite a bit. Had it not, I might have removed the auto-clutch, or maybe tried to adjust it.

It really could make you lazy if you let it. You could actually ride the woods by putting the bike in 3rd gear and forgetting about the clutch and shifter, but you would go through a lot of clutch plates.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #3830
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
The previous owner of my '09 530 EXC had installed a Rekluse Z-Start Pro, which has been a godsend for me as I re-enter dirt riding after a bunch of years of street and dirt road riding. It's adjusted to engage just above idle, so it's really functioning as a safety net to catch my screw-ups. I use the clutch most of the time anyway, and just act like the Rekluse isn't there. After I get my "legs" back, I might take it out for a while and see if I miss it.

I've found that oil choice makes a big difference in how it operates. I don't know what oil was in the tranny when I got it, but the clutch slipped a lot, kind of reminding me of a scooter, or an old Briggs-engined centrifugal-clutched mini bike. I switched to the Rekluse-recommended non-synth Rotella, and the engagement point lowered and narrowed quite a bit. Had it not, I might have removed the auto-clutch, or maybe tried to adjust it.

It really could make you lazy if you let it. You could actually ride the woods by putting the bike in 3rd gear and forgetting about the clutch and shifter, but you would go through a lot of clutch plates.
I always ran the Rotella in my 300 with the revloc clutch. It worked well enough and could be left in 2nd or 3rd gear and climb anything with never a stall.
On the old Revloc the clutch lever doesnt feel right and only sorta works to disengage the clutch,I mostly forgot about the lever and just rode it.
Ive gone back to a manual clutch bike and have stalled it once or twice but I like running the clutch myself,I ride better when Im a little busy on the bike,the 200 I have now works well that way.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #3831
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
I'm looking for new decals for my 450 XCR-W and exhaust are the XCR-W and XC-F parts interchangeable? Other than wide ratio differences is there anything else different about them that would prevent same body parts and exhausts being swapped? KTM's XC bikes confuse me badly on what can and cannot fit/swap.
Body parts will swap all 07/08-10/11 (plastic/subframe/air box/tanks..ect long list) chassis parts are the same

The exhausts (headpipe) are completely different, the muffler will swap

450/530 exc/xcw = XC4 engine
450/505 sxf/xcf = RF4 engine
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #3832
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Hey does anyone know of a source of brackets that will clamp on our fork tubes and then allow me to attach a plate? I want to mount some LED lights, mounted to a piece of aluminum channel and then tied into the fork tubes in some manner.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #3833
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Please disregard my previous post. I found some. I tried to nuke my previous message but it wont go away for some reason.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #3834
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
LED lights on the forks,on a 530KTM.................only on ADV.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #3835
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,482
Anyone running a Thumper Racing cam in a 530? I'm getting one from the next batch to complement my 41mm carb.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #3836
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
200hrs and 8500 miles on this topend. Robo rode Vegas to Reno right after we built it and afterwards it's been ridden almost exclusively on-road, lots of high-speed backroads and highway miles. Oil changed every 1000-1500 miles. Valves never moved after first adjustment. Bike was still running great, but suddenly started burning oil, so pulled it apart to take a look. Had ordered some rings and valve seals, but wasn't planning on replacing the piston. Robo ran one of his EXC's to 350hrs without doing anything more than changing the oil, and he rode that bike HARD. That's what finally convinced me to sell my XRR and replace it with a KTM. We put a new Wossner piston in this 450XCW right after I got it and figured I'd be able to pile on the miles without worry, especially considering how I was riding it. And it's been rock-solid, but take a look at what I found when I pulled the piston. Lucky-mo-fuckee, right? Cylinder and piston skirts still look great. So do the valves and valve-seats. But looks like I'm going to have to break down and order a new piston. Damn these high-maintenance machines!

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #3837
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I think he's just looking to replace the headlight with a set of LED's. Sort of like Ned's rally bike, but without the fairing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #3838
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
My 530 has LED's. And have I mentioned how much I like my Gerbings jacket this time of year?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #3839
biopig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
200hrs and 8500 miles on this topend. Robo rode Vegas to Reno right after we built it and afterwards it's been ridden almost exclusively on-road, lots of high-speed backroads and highway miles. Oil changed every 1000-1500 miles. Valves never moved after first adjustment. Bike was still running great, but suddenly started burning oil, so pulled it apart to take a look. Had ordered some rings and valve seals, but wasn't planning on replacing the piston. Robo ran one of his EXC's to 350hrs without doing anything more than changing the oil, and he rode that bike HARD. That's what finally convinced me to sell my XRR and replace it with a KTM. We put a new Wossner piston in this 450XCW right after I got it and figured I'd be able to pile on the miles without worry, especially considering how I was riding it. And it's been rock-solid, but take a look at what I found when I pulled the piston. Lucky-mo-fuckee, right? Cylinder and piston skirts still look great. So do the valves and valve-seats. But looks like I'm going to have to break down and order a new piston. Damn these high-maintenance machines!

Good catch, just replaced my rings and valve stem seals. Wish I would have pulled the piston after seeing your's. good news is my oil consumption is no longer a problem.
biopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #3840
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
My 530 has LED's. And have I mentioned how much I like my Gerbings jacket this time of year?

Your number sticker is jacked.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote