Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Fun trip and photos of that wacky spot. There's some great riding east of the Salton that heads to AZ and a famous long trail that's on my bucket list.

Here's an interesting ride for you to ponder... from one tv guy to another...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814182

It's close to home and yet wildly unknown.
Awesome RR! I gotta look into this area more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniBraxton View Post
Awesome bright pictures. And nice looking Strom, nice decals...I bet it sounds great too!
Thanx for posting.
Thanks much. Pipe sounds great, but eliminates the use of a center stand way to go Leo/Vince....
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
When compared to Trona, the Salton Sea is a resort destination. I would not go out my way to see Trona. It's not even a good way to get to Death Valley.
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post
When compared to Trona, the Salton Sea is a resort destination. I would not go out my way to see Trona. It's not even a good way to get to Death Valley.
I'm seeing these rock pinnicals that look pretty cool...
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 147
Nice ride report! I have been planning same trip for a while now. Kinda sad to see the change in the area. I remember back in the 60's and early 70's it was still an attractive resort.

I want to hit Indio; then circle the Sea, in other words do the whole loop around the Salton Sea to see all of it. Probably be depressing but a good ride in any case!
1974 CT90's (2)

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

always nice to see great pics from you jesse....

you could make a desolate place into a tourist attraction.

keep them coming!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #21
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,652
Trona is sort of "Zombie Apocalypse meets Mega Industrial Complex". You will find it very photogenic. I saw you on the list for the DV Noobs ride. Trona is a short ride from Panamint Springs campground, maybe 40 miles. Seveal miles past West Trona are the Pinacles which are Tufa formations that used to be under water in an inland sea. They filmed some of the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek and other westerns there.

Looks like you hit Salton City. I ate at that restaurant maybe 8 years back. Vile food and god-awful tasting water. Great 4 wheeling and dry camping inland off of Marina Drive.

Some of the best stuff is on the other side IE: Salvation Mountain, Bombay Beach, Slab City, etc. If you are going back for an overnight, I might be interested in joining you. I haven't been there in years.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Just watched a documentary on Net Flix called Bambay Beach, chronicling 3 families that live there. Really creepy and interesting.
I'm riding to San Francisco next month then the DV rally thing the month after. Gonna try and squeeze another Salton trip in around those runs.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
Great RR!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
Trona is sort of "Zombie Apocalypse meets Mega Industrial Complex". You will find it very photogenic.
... in an "oh god I wouldn't let my worst enemy live here" kind of way. It was once a thriving borax-mining town but now appears to survive on meth and little else. It's a bit like the Salton Sea, without the sea.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Nice ride report . I too am more fascinated by the area, been back a few times. If you go back be sure to check out the sights on the eastern side, there are active Mud Pits and the very interesting 'Slab City'. And a couple campsites on the eastern shore to stay overnight.
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
steve_k
Banned

Oddometer: 1,054
Great pix!

I was out there on the 19th and stopped in Desert Shores for a break.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
In the last few years, I have been fortunate enough to make annual loops around the western United States. In my travels, I have seen some pretty depressing places, i.e. some pretty sad American Indian Reservations, and fading desert towns (read: meth scurge), etc. My motorcycle travels have taken me as far north as Calgary, as far east as Nebraska and as far south as San Felipe, MX. Trona stands out in my mind as the most mind boggling shit hole I have ever ridden through. Depressing, even. I retract my earlier post. Everyone needs to see it.. Hey, Death Valley is right around the corner, and that's the payoff.
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post
In the last few years, I have been fortunate enough to make annual loops around the western United States. In my travels, I have seen some pretty depressing places, i.e. some pretty sad American Indian Reservations, and fading desert towns (read: meth scurge), etc. My motorcycle travels have taken me as far north as Calgary, as far east as Nebraska and as far south as San Felipe, MX. Trona stands out in my mind as the most mind boggling shit hole I have ever ridden through. Depressing, even. I retract my earlier post. Everyone needs to see it.. Hey, Death Valley is right around the corner, and that's the payoff.
I've got the 2013 Death Valley Noob ride coming up in March, maybe ill wander over that direction. Seeing desolation reminds me to appreciate that which I have.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Ah yes, the Salton Sea...

My first Boy Scout camping trip, in 1958, was at the Salton Sea (east shore, however). Looks like things haven't changed much...

Very much enjoyed your RR and pics.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote