Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #27046
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
No, you're making a false assumption. The reason I want to swap out the drivetrain is because the stock 3x10 has given me constant problems, and it's gotten worse now that I'm doing very steep climbs. I've had the bike inspected at two shops, and both times I've been told that these problems are inherent to the way 3x10's are designed. Since both my chain and sprockets are due for replacement soon any way, this is the appropriate time for an upgrade.
Yeah right. Barely a month ago, you posted this.

Quote:
Several of my riding buddies are trying to convince me I need one of these for my 29er. I'll admit it looks cool and all, but what would be the practical benefit to me? The entire system reportedly retails for $1,500, which is hardly pocket money.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-xx...peed-2013.html

I can see some sense in buying it if I were building a 29er from scratch, but I've already got a perfectly good set of gears, cranks, chain, derailleur, etc. Why replace all that hardware?
Admit it - you're turning into a shopper.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #27047
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
There are opinions built on false assumptions and personal biases, and there are opinions which are rationally defensible. I don't consider them to be of equal value.

You must be a blast at parties.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #27048
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Yeah right. Barely a month ago, you posted this.
Yep, barely a month ago the price was $500 higher, and the stock drivetrain was fine for the kind of trails I was riding. Times change.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #27049
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Luckily, I scored it off a guy like you who kept it in mint condition with some tasteful upgrades.
That's where I get most of my parts. I tend to buy D/A or Red slightly used for less than wholesale and call it good.

Triathletes are especially prone to 'upgrade-itis' for some reason.

On another note: man! is it farging chilly round here! Just got in from 2:30 on the bike and the high was appx 30deg F. Now, just last week, it was over 60 round here so the temp drop is certainly noticeable.

AKDuc's gonna be around soon to tell me about the negative eleventy billion he's been riding in and I'm gonna look like a wuss (again).

M
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #27050
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Odd that you should say that. The racers I'm acquainted with seem to upgrade components on a monthly basis, sometimes buying a whole new bike at the start of each racing season.
I know a few like the above. BUT, most RACERS I know ride their shit until it is dead. The only time they replace something before it is dead is if they think it will make them DNF. Money spent on gear is money out of their pockets. These guys are also nuts.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #27051
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I wonder if you might detail your winter layering scheme, please?
Sure, it's really quite simple for my daily 4mi commute to work. I'm very fortunate to live right next a bike trail that's groomed for skiing. That's mainly why I got a fat tire bike since it sinks less than a skate skier and doesn't mess up the grooming. I ride a studded tire mt. bike if it's icy.

Non-riders often have a hard time understanding that I find it warmer and more comfy bicycling than going out to a cold car that's just getting warm by the time I get to work. That point also probably doesn't matter to many since auto/remote starts are increasing in popularity these days.

I'll group my clothing assortment by temperature from head to toe starting with 20f and above. I use a cover on my helmet which helps to keep some heat in and rain/snow out. It's also hi-viz and reflective. I use various thicknesses of balaclavas with my main one being a Smartwool model. Usually just a thin uncoated windbreaker over my work clothes, meaning cotton tee and cotton western shirt and jeans w/o underwear. Since my commute is so short I stay with my clipless pedals tho I really do believe the cleats are quite a heat sink. I usually just wear a low top pair of mt bike shoes but for colder weather I'd recommend different pedals and footwear. At this temp I'm usually just wearing gloves or lobster mitts.

Form 20f to 0f I'll wear a thicker and longer gore-tex bicycling rain jacket on top and my Lake winter bike boots on my feet and mittens on my hands. Even with the Lakes my feet start to get chilly at the end of 4mi.

Below 0f I'll add a sweater and a pair of pair of padded bicycle shorts under my jeans and a pair of shell pants over and liner gloves under the mittens. I also wear a thicker balaclava and maybe a pair of longjohns. All pretty simple, eh?

I'm happy to say that I've only driven the cage to work 4 times in 5yrs. Being able to ride a bike trail 3 of the 4mi is a big part of that.

Ride on and warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #27052
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Non-riders often have a hard time understanding that I find it warmer and more comfy bicycling than going out to a cold car that's just getting warm by the time I get to work. That point also probably doesn't matter to many since auto/remote starts are increasing in popularity these days.
Isn't the extreme cold damaging to a bicycle's rubber tires and inner tubes? I would think they'd freeze solid and crack.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #27053
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,701
Waterbottle freezes. Snot freezes... Toes and fingers, ears and noses freezes...
Body stays warm. Tires, tubes and honey badgers don't care about the cold.
Back in my racing days we had a rule; we wouldn't ride below +20F or on ice.
Then we violated that and things got stupid.
Ten guys on their backs on black ice all still clipped to the pedals in front of the Air Guard base gate.
Once we extracted our feet from the pedals the real fun began. Standing in titanium cleats with CF soles on a crowned street was comical. Of course riding back we were beating the bottles against our bars to break up the ice.
We got back to the cars and it was -22.

Last time I rode in the cold was in the PNWet. Weather said it was 40 or so.

They lied.

This is not the face of a warm and happy Mr Head,

Slicker than snot on a glass doorknob,

Quote:
Isn't the extreme cold damaging to a bicycle's rubber tires and inner tubes? I would think they'd freeze solid and crack.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #27054
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,167
Hello!

Studs are where it's at.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #27055
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
So, I went riding this evening, and looked over the bike but forgot to check the axles... The FRONT axle was loose and had been making the sound Fortunately, I noticed it after only a minute or two and tightened it back up. No issues the rest of the ride, bike was quite.

Quote:
I've had that happen twice. Each time I could swear the creaking sound was coming from the crank, when it was actually coming from the rear axle, which needed tightening.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #27056
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post

Ride on and warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.
I mean this as a compliment; you, sir, are a crazy person!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #27057
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,701
I had to go put a sweater on after seeing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Hello!

Studs are where it's at.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #27058
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
There's a point where the equipment will no longer yield any improvements, and there is a point where the athlete will no longer improve.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #27059
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Snowed last nite. Time to break out the mtn bike and go play in the woods

M
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #27060
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,110
dammit

2 miles into my ride work interrupts with transaction logs filling, yarg.........

Thankfully I was on the TDF bike and was a short walk to laptop. Couldn't get the stage I was riding to reload so chose a different one but got a work out in anyhow.. Hopefully tonight will be fixed gear pedal.

Pedaled with a friend Monday and flatted on my way home. The tire was almost glued on to the rim and the tube stuck to the tire ??
Michelin Krylion carbon tires clinchers.. Mighty strange. Replaced tube and all was well .
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: