ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #6691
BigOgre
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
At $35 each, it's easy to justify buying a Rugged Mount for each bike but it's also easy to make the mount movable, by putting a SAE plug on the end of it, and running a cable up to the steering head of the bikes. I used to do this until I bought the second mount for my DR. Actually I still have the SAE plug on each cable, it's just that I no longer need to move the mount over. I like having the SAE plug though because when I don't need to power the gps, I can hook up a Battery Tender to the bike.

New to the world of GPS and decided to start with the Montana. Very grateful for this thread but DAMN there's a lot to learn!

Re. switching between bikes. Anything bad to say about using a Powerlet connector instead of the SAE plug here? This would be the simpliest solution for me but after reading about the Montana's sensitivity to current, wondering if vibration/movement within this type of connection would cause any issues.
BigOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #6692
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOgre View Post
Re. switching between bikes. Anything bad to say about using a Powerlet connector instead of the SAE plug here? This would be the simpliest solution for me but after reading about the Montana's sensitivity to current, wondering if vibration/movement within this type of connection would cause any issues.
A Powerlet would work just as well.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #6693
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
So. I've had the Montana for quite a while and it generally stays on the bike. Since it's so damn cold out I decided to bring it in and play around with it a little. I have CN2012 installed and have all of North America and Mexico. I wanted to make a smaller mapset with just a few states. I installed the maps using Mapinstall and renamed the IMG file MidAtlantic.

My question is this: Why can I not see this map when I go to the select map portion of the Montana. It is in the same /Garmin directory as the other map that covers the entire country.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #6694
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
So. I've had the Montana for quite a while and it generally stays on the bike. Since it's so damn cold out I decided to bring it in and play around with it a little. I have CN2012 installed and have all of North America and Mexico. I wanted to make a smaller mapset with just a few states. I installed the maps using Mapinstall and renamed the IMG file MidAtlantic.

My question is this: Why can I not see this map when I go to the select map portion of the Montana. It is in the same /Garmin directory as the other map that covers the entire country.
Have you tried using JaVaWa Device Manager to see if the map is set up properly? It's a great program. (I am not affiliated with them in any way - I just like the program)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #6695
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

OK, I was able to rename the Nationwide map to Nationwide instead of the tile listing it formerly was. I also updated the name of the MidAtlantic set as well. However, it's still not showing up as a selection in the Montana.

JaVaWa shows the following error for both mapsets, even thought the Nationwide set works fine.

Quote:
Error: segment codes from this file reside in other files. This will cause problems with routing and/or displaying maps
IBA #33260
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #6696
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
OK, I was able to rename the Nationwide map to Nationwide instead of the tile listing it formerly was. I also updated the name of the MidAtlantic set as well. However, it's still not showing up as a selection in the Montana.

JaVaWa shows the following error for both mapsets, even thought the Nationwide set works fine.
The Javawa message is fairly clear - you have duplicate tiles in multiple img files and that will cause problems.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #6697
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

So no maps can contain overlapping map data. That's just silly.
IBA #33260
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6698
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Sure glad I don't need to go outside today...

Wow: From -30C to +32C in 24 hours???

That would be -22 F to 89.6 F

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6699
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Wow: From -30C to +32C in 24 hours???

That would be -22 F to 89.6 F
He went indoors, to the sauna ...contribution to the Globe Warming
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #6700
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
He went indoors, to the sauna ...contribution to the Globe Warming
No, no sauna, but I guess the wood stove got fairly hot last night. The Tempe's attached to a knapsack in that room when it's not outside in the cold.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #6701
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Rugged Mount Question...

... found my answer. the video from gpscity shows it. Just thought it was odd that the contacts aren't the same between the auto and the rugged mount. No worries!

Patch screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:11 PM
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #6702
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,769
How good is the tempe? Reliable?

Quote:
No, no sauna, but I guess the wood stove got fairly hot last night. The Tempe's attached to a knapsack in that room when it's not outside in the cold.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #6703
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
I haven't compared its reading to other thermometers but it seems about right. And it stays connected to the gps as it should. I find it interesting that it stores the high and low values then resets them daily, I assume at the time I first activated it by putting the battery in.

I've been trying to think if it would be best to have the reset happen during the night, or if it even matters what time it resets.

It's spending the night outside. Will be interesting to see what the temps get down to. Was at -28 C when I last looked.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:47 PM
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #6704
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Just thought it was odd that the contacts aren't the same between the auto and the rugged mount. No worries!
This could be so that the unit knows which mount it is in. When I plug it into my rugged mount it beeps for events (unless I've got my headphones plugged into the external audio port). When I plug it into the auto mount it gives voice directions. Kind of handy, actually.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #6705
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
I kinda think it's not that accurate. It seems to always read warmer then it really is. Yesterday I saw it hit 66 and I was still running my electric vest so I kinda doubt it got that warm. I keep it in my tank bag and maybe it does stay warmer in there then the ambient temp but even now it's out in my garage and it says the temp is 50 but according to the thermometer I've got in there it's only 41.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote