Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Rags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I'm 72, 73 come June; bought a 2013 BMW K1300S last month, traded in the 2010 R1200GS. Started riding in 1958 and the only year since that I haven't owned a bike was 1968 ~ I was in Vietnam. The three guys I normally ride with are 81 (Honda ST1300), 73 (Honda Goldwing), & 70 (New BMW K1600GT). Life is good.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Daddy Rabbit
daddy rabbit

Oddometer: 8
Over 70 club

I'm 78 and ride a 2008 BMW R1200GS. In 2010 a friend and I rode from Texas to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and back.
We took a whole month to do the ride and it was a great experience. About 1500 miles was dirt roads.
Last September 5 buddies and I rode to Wyoming and then started riding the continental divide. We didn't
have enough time to ride to the Mexican border (as planned) but we had a great time.
Next september, we are planning on riding the Oregon trail
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 5,883
In a half-dozen years. Ride daily, plan to start doing LD/Transcon trips in a couple of years.

--Bill
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #19
PopRock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Started riding at 61. 70 now. Still feels good. Hope to ride at least 10 more years. Looking for a KLR so I can go up in the woods, about 4 minutes from the house. Walk 6 miles a day, helps me stay in riding shape. Make your bike comfortable, tune up your mind, go for it.
PopRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #20
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,183
I just rode this summer with a friend to KS from FL & back in a weekend (4 days) and he's 73... that's one tough MF. He never once said anything negative in the 90+ degree weather and the 800 mile day. He was up before me and ready to go. I have a lot to look forward to (I hope).

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #21
ken williams
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Over the hill club

Got to admit I am over 70. My concentration- Think putting on 500 to 600 miles a day and 10,000 miles is fair concentration. This was last summer Fl to Colorado. Tired of winter, so I am packing now for a early run to Texas and Mexico before heading north to Alaska. I think the secret is to just do it that which gives you pleasure. I had been Solo sailing-trans-Atlantics on my 35ft sloop. . Last year I back packed across Europe from London to Turkey for 3 months. I got pneumonia from all the smoking and fowl air in the big cities, so now I am only going to the open country. I am playing with putting a hack on to carry more gear and fuel. Figure it out if you do 600 miles a day how many gas stops are necessary with a 4 gallon tank. . I ran out of gas in Missouri because the two stations across Missouri RT 64 to Colorado never opened on a Saturday. In July it was as hot as blazes and a drought. I take offense of the dude mocking the Over the Hill 70 Riders referring to back pain etc etc . Hey my my 23 year old girl friend complains just as much with just headaches. See you on the road-toad. .
ken williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #22
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
..OK, who's over 70 ?? C'mon , be honest and tell everyone about your reaction times, your bad back, your eyes, your concentration abilities, balance, carpal tunnel pain, arthritis, and recent dental work. All the cool things we think about all day.....Me, I ain't too bad, but I do, at times, while riding the Airhead, think that I sure don't want to fall over any more. I have to shake those thoughts off before I start having fun. Any takers ??
Close enough, 67. At this juncture, I just take the negatives in stride. The main thing for me is to not say 'I used to do X', or 'I never had Y problem before'. Instead, I look around and think, 'that guy is my age and he can hardly walk with that extra 50 pounds on his gut'. I am sooooo glad I never smoked, that my weight is that same as when I was in college, and that I kept myself in good shape. Sure, bumps, sometimes deep potholes, along the path but the only way to avoid them is to die first. I don't ride as hard or as long as I used to...I ain't stupid. 'Man's got to know his limitations.'
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
GT George
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
< 70 today

Make your bike comfortable, tune up your mind, go for it.

Good attitude PopRock!! I have 11 years before I reach the 70 mark and I see no reason to slow down now. In fact, I'm just beginning to hit my stride.

Keep on ridin'
GT George

Alpine Adventure - 8 Days, 5 Countries / MAY 2011

GT George screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 05:49 PM Reason: fix
GT George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
390beretta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Well, everyone, I'm 66 and riding makes me feel younger and keeps me sharp. Some of my abilities are lessening (my legs are an example) but my upper body is still damn strong. (I plan to start jogging). I actually think that an "older" guy can ride to an advanced age, as long as he/she recognizes their situation and does some compensation, mentally and physically.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 443
I'm feeling better after reading this thread. I turn 65 in July and in the last year or so all of my riding buddies ( in their late 60's) have quit riding and sold off everything. It wouldn't be too bad but I just retired and now have the time to do the trips I haven't had the time for. I'm counting on five more "good" years and figure anything after that is gravy. I'm hoping for a lot of gravy.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Cry

I'm five years away and hoping to ride few km's yet. Great reading about bloke's riding into their 80's. So it's not only therapeutic, it keeps you young too! Anyone getting near the retirement age, taket or leave 20 years, get off your sorry fat arse and ride!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #27
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNHTR View Post
I'm feeling better after reading this thread. I turn 65 in July and in the last year or so all of my riding buddies ( in their late 60's) have quit riding and sold off everything. It wouldn't be too bad but I just retired and now have the time to do the trips I haven't had the time for. I'm counting on five more "good" years and figure anything after that is gravy. I'm hoping for a lot of gravy.
Stop it with the numbers, will ya! Oh, and find some young riders. Hangin' with rusting hulks will get you nowhere.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
mrmgoo
beemerscoot

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarMan View Post
Turned 65 last month and began riding again 2 years ago after being away from bikes for 30 years (wife,kids,house.etc.)
My son who I ride with says after about 1/2 hour of riding or so I start to ride like I've never stopped. My 67 year old cousin says "you're too old to ride a motorcycle". I said "well I made it to your house and it's 70 miles from my place"!

Yes I am a bit stiff and sore after my rides ,but that's what hot showers and Alieve are for.

My son and I are planning a 300 mile over night trip this spring on our trusty Suzuki TU250's
Turned 86 last New Years....still riding 8 to ten thousand a year. Started in the Spring of '46 on My first Harley,a '39 Knuckle head. Just to give You a little idea of My ridingabilities,I rode My '04 V-rod on My annual trip out West this Year. ( I live in VA. ) I made Glacier Park...Bear tooth pass....Yellowstone and all the good places while I was there.I bought a C 650 GT Beemer scoot for the trip this coming Summer,and I think it will do fine. I have put 1300 miles on it so far and with the big wheels and beefy frame it feels like My Electraglide. Anymore it feels better to have the weight a little lower to the ground! Harley....80% effort...20% pleasure.with the Scooter....10% effort ...90% pleasure! I'm gonna enjoy the difference! Mrmgoo....ride safe.....and often.
mrmgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken williams View Post
Got to admit I am over 70. ... I think the secret is to just do that which gives you pleasure.... I take offense of the dude mocking the Over the Hill 70 Riders referring to back pain etc etc . Hey my my 23 year old girl friend complains just as much with just headaches. See you on the road-toad. .
Having a 23 year old girl friend has to be great training for the stresses of riding, and a great incentive for a solo trip of some duration. I've got an 18 year old grandson, I can't imagine a female version of him that I could stand for more than three hours. Might make a fine bedwarmer though.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmgoo View Post
Turned 86 last New Years....still riding 8 to ten thousand a year. Started in the Spring of '46 on My first Harley,a '39 Knuckle head. Just to give You a little idea of My ridingabilities,I rode My '04 V-rod on My annual trip out West this Year. ( I live in VA. ) I made Glacier Park...Bear tooth pass....Yellowstone and all the good places while I was there.I bought a C 650 GT Beemer scoot for the trip this coming Summer,and I think it will do fine. I have put 1300 miles on it so far and with the big wheels and beefy frame it feels like My Electraglide. Anymore it feels better to have the weight a little lower to the ground! Harley....80% effort...20% pleasure.with the Scooter....10% effort ...90% pleasure! I'm gonna enjoy the difference! Mrmgoo....ride safe.....and often.