Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #15526
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well I'm gonna give you my take and I may get flamed for it but here it goes. The ABS system on the Tiger is awsome. Works better than most from what I hear. That being said, yes, it is a pain in the ass turning on and off unless you do it a lot as to remember the steps. I now leave it on all the time. I believe most others do too from what I have read. I can see needing it going down a steep hill off road but thats about it. The bike is too great to let such a small item keep me away from the purchase.
I believe if they do anything different next year it would be adjustable forks and maybe a better shock. Thats what most people want to see.

+1
I hardly ever turn mine off. I have just a couple of times, in really slippery or steep terrain. Otherwise it works well even on dirt roads. None of this would have ANY bearing on which model year I bought.

Turning it off isn't that big of deal either, although a simple on/off switch would obviously be easier. There are two buttons on the instrument cluster. You hit the top one once or twice to select SETUP, press the lower one to enter, then the top one about three times to scroll to ABS, enter the lower and it switches it to OFF. If you want to go back to one of your trip odos then the top button again a couple of times to scroll to RETURN, enter by touching the bottom button. If you don't do this it goes back to ODO 1 on its own. It takes more to type it that it does to do it. No more difficult than using a calculator or a smart phone.

I think I can speak for the owners in that we are simply glad to even have the option, unlike some other adventure type bikes outt here that there is no option...one of them is the big one from Japan with the tuning fork logo on the tank.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #15527
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
So I'm really close to possibly going with a tiger 800 xc. But I am curious. With all the negative feedback they have recieved fo the abs on off procedure , What the possibility would be of triumph. Changing this on the new year To say , what the explorer has on the handlebar option like the Beemers . And thus making it worth waiting a couple months for th new year models to hit. I can't ride right now anyway where I'm from.
Thanx
I'm not sure about you saying "all the negative feedback". Some people on here say it can be a pain in the ass, but it's not that bad. It takes about 10 seconds to turn it off. Like said already, It's not a deal breaker at all. I watched a friend of mine go down earlier last year on his non ABS XC and I'm absolutely positive that if he would have had ABS it wouldn't have happened.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #15528
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
+1

I think I can speak for the owners in that we are simply glad to even have the option, unlike some other adventure type bikes outt here that there is no option...one of them is the big one from Japan with the tuning fork logo on the tank.
Ha! True. You will catch hell for that one! Anyone seen GrahamD and Pluric?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #15529
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Well I'm gonna give you my take and I may get flamed for it but here it goes. The ABS system on the Tiger is awsome. Works better than most from what I hear. That being said, yes, it is a pain in the ass turning on and off unless you do it a lot as to remember the steps. I now leave it on all the time. I believe most others do too from what I have read. I can see needing it going down a steep hill off road but thats about it. The bike is too great to let such a small item keep me away from the purchase.
I believe if they do anything different next year it would be adjustable forks and maybe a better shock. Thats what most people want to see.
+1 Same experience here, very rare that I'd find the need to turn it off. Yes, Triumph could have made it easier to turn on and off, but they didn't. If that's your only reason not to buy one of these, then Triumph probably has enough anal retentive owners already and would probably do very nicely without another one pissing and moaning on the ADV forum.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #15530
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
So I'm really close to possibly going with a tiger 800 xc. But I am curious. With all the negative feedback they have recieved fo the abs on off procedure , What the possibility would be of triumph. Changing this on the new year To say , what the explorer has on the handlebar option like the Beemers . And thus making it worth waiting a couple months for th new year models to hit. I can't ride right now anyway where I'm from.
Thanx
Go for it! Go get one you won't be sorry!
I've have mine for a year now, 10,000km heaps of gravel, fun. Been on some awesome ADV trips exploring our beautiful country.
The Tiger has done everything with ease that I've poked at it, some times the rider couldn't keep up, I'd say this is a very capable bike and modifications (farkles) are personal touches/improvements.
I love this bike and will have it for a very long time.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #15531
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Cool Thanks for the responses - I was hoping that was the case with the ABS switching. I forgot to have the dealer walk me through it once when I was out there to really see how "bad" it was to do.

Can I get a little feedback on two up riding on her ?
I am coming from a 640 and, now want to be able to do two up comfortably but still have a good time riding by myself on the gnarlier stuff
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #15532
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool Thanks for the responses - I was hoping that was the case with the ABS switching. I forgot to have the dealer walk me through it once when I was out there to really see how "bad" it was to do.

Can I get a little feedback on two up riding on her ?
I am coming from a 640 and, now want to be able to do two up comfortably but still have a good time riding by myself on the gnarlier stuff
The pillion seat is too thin for long rides. Just get a top box with a back rest and an Airhawk seat cushion. The power is there but you will know she is on board. If I did a lot of two up I would go up in cc's. Like 1200cc's or more. But then you will limit the off road capabilities with a tonner.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #15533
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
That's why I'm a little stuck between the 800xc and a Ktm 990 right now. Greater cc's but not to much more bike ,size wise. And I feel like the 1200 class is just to big of bike. To have fun offroad solo. , personally
I love the looks of the new tigers ! I have no Ktm twin dealer close to me. So it makes it tough to decide. I am interested to see the explorer xc when it comes out but once again. It might just be to big for my riding
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #15534
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
That's why I'm a little stuck between the 800xc and a Ktm 990 right now. Greater cc's but not to much more bike ,size wise. And I feel like the 1200 class is just to big of bike. To have fun offroad solo. , personally
I love the looks of the new tigers ! I have no Ktm twin dealer close to me. So it makes it tough to decide. I am interested to see the explorer xc when it comes out but once again. It might just be to big for my riding
The big bike weight will hand you your ass, offroad, especially if it gets you down. I test rode an 800, with a passenger, and it has more than ample power to rip down the interstate. My 1050 only gets me in trouble, with the radar gun.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #15535
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Like Duc said, and I hope I didnt give you the wrong impression, there is plenty of power for two up. It just taxes the engine a little more than a tonner would. And as far as a katoom for 2 up, there's no way in hell I would put my wife through that. The seat is way too narrow. If its just a weekend jaunt you should be fine but I wouldnt excatly call the XC a "2 up tourer". KTM makes great power and the suspension is great but its heavier and you better be either handy with a wrench or have deep pockets.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #15536
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Like Duc said, and I hope I didnt give you the wrong impression, there is plenty of power for two up. It just taxes the engine a little more than a tonner would. And as far as a katoom for 2 up, there's no way in hell I would put my wife through that. The seat is way too narrow. If its just a weekend jaunt you should be fine but I wouldnt excatly call the XC a "2 up tourer". KTM makes great power and the suspension is great but its heavier and you better be either handy with a wrench or have deep pockets.

Geez....another XC rider that seems to think just like I do.
I scratched the 990 for these same reasons. Way too finicky, and all that plastic. They are definitely a better 'dirtbike' though.

I had a Kawasaki Versys that I put about 8K miles on and enjoyed it, but it had its quirks and vibes, and then the wife started coming along on day trips so we decided to get something better for 2-up. I rode all the big bikes and the XC fit me the best. I can tell you it does 2-up WAY better than the versys, and just as good as the GS. Well, except the seat and that was an easy fix.

We are about 350lbs combined and it's just not an issue for the bike. But then we didn't choose it for, nor would we be doing, long distance cross-country touring by motorcycle. I have a Winnebago for that.
But seriously, the luxo boingers of the XC for 2-up on the road was another reason I chose it. It's really comfortable, and unless you really brake hard we don't get the rocking horse see-saw back and forth on go and stop. I don't ride crazy with two like I do solo anyway. The Tiger is just fine with two.

One of my first mods was to improve the passenger seat for the wife. Removed the seat cover, which is a stupid color anyway, and of poor grade vinyl so it gets sticky if it gets any sun exposure. Ground down the center to creat more dish while leaving the front it's full height. This took away a lot of the slope, and made it more of a saddle dish shape. Then added 1" of mid-density foam and made a new cover with carbon fiber look vinyl, and added a back pad to the top box. She is good for a couple of hundred miles now, no problem. We stop frequently anyway to get off and stretch, etc.

I know I've posted these before but here they are again...

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #15537
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
One of my first mods was to improve the passenger seat for the wife. Removed the seat cover, which is a stupid color anyway, and of poor grade vinyl so it gets sticky if it gets any sun exposure. Ground down the center to creat more dish while leaving the front it's full height. This took away a lot of the slope, and made it more of a saddle dish shape. Then added 1" of mid-density foam and made a new cover with carbon fiber look vinyl, and added a back pad to the top box. She is good for a couple of hundred miles now, no problem. We stop frequently anyway to get off and stretch, etc.

That is awesome! I'd definitely do that if I could find someone to ride pillion with me who had no interest in an actual relationship beyond the bike, drinks, and sex.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #15538
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Geez....another XC rider that seems to think just like I do.
I scratched the 990 for these same reasons. Way too finicky, and all that plastic. They are definitely a better 'dirtbike' though.

I had a Kawasaki Versys that I put about 8K miles on and enjoyed it, but it had its quirks and vibes, and then the wife started coming along on day trips so we decided to get something better for 2-up. I rode all the big bikes and the XC fit me the best. I can tell you it does 2-up WAY better than the versys, and just as good as the GS. Well, except the seat and that was an easy fix.

We are about 350lbs combined and it's just not an issue for the bike. But then we didn't choose it for, nor would we be doing, long distance cross-country touring by motorcycle. I have a Winnebago for that.
But seriously, the luxo boingers of the XC for 2-up on the road was another reason I chose it. It's really comfortable, and unless you really brake hard we don't get the rocking horse see-saw back and forth on go and stop. I don't ride crazy with two like I do solo anyway. The Tiger is just fine with two.

Wow, Browneye. That's an awesome job! Looks like I need to do the same. I have never messed with seats so I will probably have to have that done by someone else. My wife will really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #15539
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
That is awesome! I'd definitely do that if I could find someone to ride pillion with me who had no interest in an actual relationship beyond the bike, drinks, and sex.
Ouch!!

Women are generally needy. I always say, "Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em."

I've been married for 20 years. I can't say it's always been 'happily', but it's better than ever now. She doesn't go much. Mostly I take off on hardcore trips with the guys. The seat is there for her though when we're up for a putt together.

I'm just glad I got a real adventure bike for those hardcore trips. It's great! After 5K miles of trips I still woudn't trade it for anything else. I think that says a lot about the bike in general.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #15540
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
You will definitely more money for farkles that way!