ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #15526
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well I'm gonna give you my take and I may get flamed for it but here it goes. The ABS system on the Tiger is awsome. Works better than most from what I hear. That being said, yes, it is a pain in the ass turning on and off unless you do it a lot as to remember the steps. I now leave it on all the time. I believe most others do too from what I have read. I can see needing it going down a steep hill off road but thats about it. The bike is too great to let such a small item keep me away from the purchase.
I believe if they do anything different next year it would be adjustable forks and maybe a better shock. Thats what most people want to see.

+1
I hardly ever turn mine off. I have just a couple of times, in really slippery or steep terrain. Otherwise it works well even on dirt roads. None of this would have ANY bearing on which model year I bought.

Turning it off isn't that big of deal either, although a simple on/off switch would obviously be easier. There are two buttons on the instrument cluster. You hit the top one once or twice to select SETUP, press the lower one to enter, then the top one about three times to scroll to ABS, enter the lower and it switches it to OFF. If you want to go back to one of your trip odos then the top button again a couple of times to scroll to RETURN, enter by touching the bottom button. If you don't do this it goes back to ODO 1 on its own. It takes more to type it that it does to do it. No more difficult than using a calculator or a smart phone.

I think I can speak for the owners in that we are simply glad to even have the option, unlike some other adventure type bikes outt here that there is no option...one of them is the big one from Japan with the tuning fork logo on the tank.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #15527
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
So I'm really close to possibly going with a tiger 800 xc. But I am curious. With all the negative feedback they have recieved fo the abs on off procedure , What the possibility would be of triumph. Changing this on the new year To say , what the explorer has on the handlebar option like the Beemers . And thus making it worth waiting a couple months for th new year models to hit. I can't ride right now anyway where I'm from.
Thanx
I'm not sure about you saying "all the negative feedback". Some people on here say it can be a pain in the ass, but it's not that bad. It takes about 10 seconds to turn it off. Like said already, It's not a deal breaker at all. I watched a friend of mine go down earlier last year on his non ABS XC and I'm absolutely positive that if he would have had ABS it wouldn't have happened.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #15528
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
+1

I think I can speak for the owners in that we are simply glad to even have the option, unlike some other adventure type bikes outt here that there is no option...one of them is the big one from Japan with the tuning fork logo on the tank.
Ha! True. You will catch hell for that one! Anyone seen GrahamD and Pluric?
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #15529
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced
 
TerraUnFirma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Georgia Mountains...yeah heaven!
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well I'm gonna give you my take and I may get flamed for it but here it goes. The ABS system on the Tiger is awsome. Works better than most from what I hear. That being said, yes, it is a pain in the ass turning on and off unless you do it a lot as to remember the steps. I now leave it on all the time. I believe most others do too from what I have read. I can see needing it going down a steep hill off road but thats about it. The bike is too great to let such a small item keep me away from the purchase.
I believe if they do anything different next year it would be adjustable forks and maybe a better shock. Thats what most people want to see.
+1 Same experience here, very rare that I'd find the need to turn it off. Yes, Triumph could have made it easier to turn on and off, but they didn't. If that's your only reason not to buy one of these, then Triumph probably has enough anal retentive owners already and would probably do very nicely without another one pissing and moaning on the ADV forum.
__________________
Tom Stites - Dawsonville, GA -
'11 Triumph Tiger 800XC ABS
'97 BMW R1100RT
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #15530
Windy Rider
Pussy Power
 
Windy Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ulverstone, Tasmania
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
So I'm really close to possibly going with a tiger 800 xc. But I am curious. With all the negative feedback they have recieved fo the abs on off procedure , What the possibility would be of triumph. Changing this on the new year To say , what the explorer has on the handlebar option like the Beemers . And thus making it worth waiting a couple months for th new year models to hit. I can't ride right now anyway where I'm from.
Thanx
Go for it! Go get one you won't be sorry!
I've have mine for a year now, 10,000km heaps of gravel, fun. Been on some awesome ADV trips exploring our beautiful country.
The Tiger has done everything with ease that I've poked at it, some times the rider couldn't keep up, I'd say this is a very capable bike and modifications (farkles) are personal touches/improvements.
I love this bike and will have it for a very long time.

__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger xc

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #15531
Sound Farm
Art x Science
 
Sound Farm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Des Moines IA
Oddometer: 104
Cool Thanks for the responses - I was hoping that was the case with the ABS switching. I forgot to have the dealer walk me through it once when I was out there to really see how "bad" it was to do.

Can I get a little feedback on two up riding on her ?
I am coming from a 640 and, now want to be able to do two up comfortably but still have a good time riding by myself on the gnarlier stuff
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
99 KTM Adventure-R 640 (sold)
Garmin 550
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #15532
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
Cool Thanks for the responses - I was hoping that was the case with the ABS switching. I forgot to have the dealer walk me through it once when I was out there to really see how "bad" it was to do.

Can I get a little feedback on two up riding on her ?
I am coming from a 640 and, now want to be able to do two up comfortably but still have a good time riding by myself on the gnarlier stuff
The pillion seat is too thin for long rides. Just get a top box with a back rest and an Airhawk seat cushion. The power is there but you will know she is on board. If I did a lot of two up I would go up in cc's. Like 1200cc's or more. But then you will limit the off road capabilities with a tonner.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #15533
Sound Farm
Art x Science
 
Sound Farm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Des Moines IA
Oddometer: 104
That's why I'm a little stuck between the 800xc and a Ktm 990 right now. Greater cc's but not to much more bike ,size wise. And I feel like the 1200 class is just to big of bike. To have fun offroad solo. , personally
I love the looks of the new tigers ! I have no Ktm twin dealer close to me. So it makes it tough to decide. I am interested to see the explorer xc when it comes out but once again. It might just be to big for my riding
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
99 KTM Adventure-R 640 (sold)
Garmin 550
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #15534
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
That's why I'm a little stuck between the 800xc and a Ktm 990 right now. Greater cc's but not to much more bike ,size wise. And I feel like the 1200 class is just to big of bike. To have fun offroad solo. , personally
I love the looks of the new tigers ! I have no Ktm twin dealer close to me. So it makes it tough to decide. I am interested to see the explorer xc when it comes out but once again. It might just be to big for my riding
The big bike weight will hand you your ass, offroad, especially if it gets you down. I test rode an 800, with a passenger, and it has more than ample power to rip down the interstate. My 1050 only gets me in trouble, with the radar gun.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #15535
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
That's why I'm a little stuck between the 800xc and a Ktm 990 right now. Greater cc's but not to much more bike ,size wise. And I feel like the 1200 class is just to big of bike. To have fun offroad solo. , personally
I love the looks of the new tigers ! I have no Ktm twin dealer close to me. So it makes it tough to decide. I am interested to see the explorer xc when it comes out but once again. It might just be to big for my riding
Like Duc said, and I hope I didnt give you the wrong impression, there is plenty of power for two up. It just taxes the engine a little more than a tonner would. And as far as a katoom for 2 up, there's no way in hell I would put my wife through that. The seat is way too narrow. If its just a weekend jaunt you should be fine but I wouldnt excatly call the XC a "2 up tourer". KTM makes great power and the suspension is great but its heavier and you better be either handy with a wrench or have deep pockets.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #15536
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Like Duc said, and I hope I didnt give you the wrong impression, there is plenty of power for two up. It just taxes the engine a little more than a tonner would. And as far as a katoom for 2 up, there's no way in hell I would put my wife through that. The seat is way too narrow. If its just a weekend jaunt you should be fine but I wouldnt excatly call the XC a "2 up tourer". KTM makes great power and the suspension is great but its heavier and you better be either handy with a wrench or have deep pockets.

Geez....another XC rider that seems to think just like I do.
I scratched the 990 for these same reasons. Way too finicky, and all that plastic. They are definitely a better 'dirtbike' though.

I had a Kawasaki Versys that I put about 8K miles on and enjoyed it, but it had its quirks and vibes, and then the wife started coming along on day trips so we decided to get something better for 2-up. I rode all the big bikes and the XC fit me the best. I can tell you it does 2-up WAY better than the versys, and just as good as the GS. Well, except the seat and that was an easy fix.

We are about 350lbs combined and it's just not an issue for the bike. But then we didn't choose it for, nor would we be doing, long distance cross-country touring by motorcycle. I have a Winnebago for that.
But seriously, the luxo boingers of the XC for 2-up on the road was another reason I chose it. It's really comfortable, and unless you really brake hard we don't get the rocking horse see-saw back and forth on go and stop. I don't ride crazy with two like I do solo anyway. The Tiger is just fine with two.

One of my first mods was to improve the passenger seat for the wife. Removed the seat cover, which is a stupid color anyway, and of poor grade vinyl so it gets sticky if it gets any sun exposure. Ground down the center to creat more dish while leaving the front it's full height. This took away a lot of the slope, and made it more of a saddle dish shape. Then added 1" of mid-density foam and made a new cover with carbon fiber look vinyl, and added a back pad to the top box. She is good for a couple of hundred miles now, no problem. We stop frequently anyway to get off and stretch, etc.

I know I've posted these before but here they are again...



__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #15537
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: California, sometimes the coast, sometimes Tahoe
Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
One of my first mods was to improve the passenger seat for the wife. Removed the seat cover, which is a stupid color anyway, and of poor grade vinyl so it gets sticky if it gets any sun exposure. Ground down the center to creat more dish while leaving the front it's full height. This took away a lot of the slope, and made it more of a saddle dish shape. Then added 1" of mid-density foam and made a new cover with carbon fiber look vinyl, and added a back pad to the top box. She is good for a couple of hundred miles now, no problem. We stop frequently anyway to get off and stretch, etc.

I know I've posted these before but here they are again...



That is awesome! I'd definitely do that if I could find someone to ride pillion with me who had no interest in an actual relationship beyond the bike, drinks, and sex.
__________________
soldierguy

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #15538
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Geez....another XC rider that seems to think just like I do.
I scratched the 990 for these same reasons. Way too finicky, and all that plastic. They are definitely a better 'dirtbike' though.

I had a Kawasaki Versys that I put about 8K miles on and enjoyed it, but it had its quirks and vibes, and then the wife started coming along on day trips so we decided to get something better for 2-up. I rode all the big bikes and the XC fit me the best. I can tell you it does 2-up WAY better than the versys, and just as good as the GS. Well, except the seat and that was an easy fix.

We are about 350lbs combined and it's just not an issue for the bike. But then we didn't choose it for, nor would we be doing, long distance cross-country touring by motorcycle. I have a Winnebago for that.
But seriously, the luxo boingers of the XC for 2-up on the road was another reason I chose it. It's really comfortable, and unless you really brake hard we don't get the rocking horse see-saw back and forth on go and stop. I don't ride crazy with two like I do solo anyway. The Tiger is just fine with two.

One of my first mods was to improve the passenger seat for the wife. Removed the seat cover, which is a stupid color anyway, and of poor grade vinyl so it gets sticky if it gets any sun exposure. Ground down the center to creat more dish while leaving the front it's full height. This took away a lot of the slope, and made it more of a saddle dish shape. Then added 1" of mid-density foam and made a new cover with carbon fiber look vinyl, and added a back pad to the top box. She is good for a couple of hundred miles now, no problem. We stop frequently anyway to get off and stretch, etc.

I know I've posted these before but here they are again...
Wow, Browneye. That's an awesome job! Looks like I need to do the same. I have never messed with seats so I will probably have to have that done by someone else. My wife will really appreciate it. Thanks!
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #15539
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
That is awesome! I'd definitely do that if I could find someone to ride pillion with me who had no interest in an actual relationship beyond the bike, drinks, and sex.
Ouch!!

Women are generally needy. I always say, "Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em."

I've been married for 20 years. I can't say it's always been 'happily', but it's better than ever now. She doesn't go much. Mostly I take off on hardcore trips with the guys. The seat is there for her though when we're up for a putt together.

I'm just glad I got a real adventure bike for those hardcore trips. It's great! After 5K miles of trips I still woudn't trade it for anything else. I think that says a lot about the bike in general.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #15540
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
That is awesome! I'd definitely do that if I could find someone to ride pillion with me who had no interest in an actual relationship beyond the bike, drinks, and sex.
You will definitely more money for farkles that way!
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014