User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #1291
ClayCousinGail
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Clay..

Its been a while, and I can't believe that this thread is still going.

I am Clay's cousin, Gail. I WISH I can say I was close with Clay, but I wasn't. He moved away from CT and we kinda lost touch. But when we did speak, it was good.

I just wanted to say thank you. This thread goes on for, what? 80+ pages? Every once and a while I come to read it and it helps.....My heart hurts for the life Clay lost. My heart hurts that Clay could not come out of this accident. My heart hurts that I could not help, nor was I close enough to him.

One thing I do know is that in the end, he had controll over his life, no matter how much we don't like it.

And I have my tee shirt....a true bright spot and tribute to a good guy.

I choose to remember him with the vitality and fierce passion he had in his life. Thats who he was.

So thank you all for the words. Know that it means a lot.

And please, drive safely!
ClayCousinGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #1292
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCousinGail View Post

I choose to remember him with the vitality and fierce passion he had in his life. Thats who he was.

Hiya Gail.

Thanks for checking in, Clayton really touched us here in this community and we miss him.

This is how I choose to remember him.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #1293
ClayCousinGail
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Hiya Gail.

Thanks for checking in, Clayton really touched us here in this community and we miss him.

This is how I choose to remember him.

Larry, I LOVE that picture of him. I was in Seattle on business when he was there and we JUST couldnt connect. I wish we did.

BUt he was an awesome little cousin :)
ClayCousinGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #1294
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCousinGail View Post
Its been a while, and I can't believe that this thread is still going.

I am Clay's cousin, Gail. I WISH I can say I was close with Clay, but I wasn't. He moved away from CT and we kinda lost touch. But when we did speak, it was good.

I just wanted to say thank you. This thread goes on for, what? 80+ pages? Every once and a while I come to read it and it helps.....My heart hurts for the life Clay lost. My heart hurts that Clay could not come out of this accident. My heart hurts that I could not help, nor was I close enough to him.

One thing I do know is that in the end, he had controll over his life, no matter how much we don't like it.

And I have my tee shirt....a true bright spot and tribute to a good guy.

Good to hear from the family. You had quite the cousin, and it sucks what ended up happening. People tend to respect other people with a zeal for life, intelligence, and a kind nature- he seemed to have it all. And then bam- tragedy. What else can you say? It draws the compassion of everyone who cannot even fathom being instantly thrust into such a terrible situation. He was an advrider more than many of us (myself included).
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #1295
Klr-GSMike
n00b

Oddometer: 6
It's been a while since I've been here, I was just thinking about Ozymandias, which led me to thinking about Clayton and this thread....

Glad to see that it's still here..
Klr-GSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #1296
danbrew
GSAdv.com

Oddometer: 1,035
Ditto. RIP Clayton.
and smugmug for the latest photos
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #1297
soulfounder
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Again...ditto

So glad to see this thread is still here....RIP Clayton.
soulfounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #1298
Alex_V
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
RIP, Powerful writing.

Motorcycling is a sport to be taken step by step. If you are new to it, take baby steps. Book reading is no substitute for experience. Luck is sure is a factor, but as with anything understand your skill limits.

I hope no first time ADV riders attempt this, from the get go this was a bad idea. My most sincere condolences.
Alex_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #1299
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
RIP, Powerful writing.

Motorcycling is a sport to be taken step by step. If you are new to it, take baby steps. Book reading is no substitute for experience. Luck is sure is a factor, but as with anything understand your skill limits.

I hope no first time ADV riders attempt this, from the get go this was a bad idea. My most sincere condolences.
I understand some saying Clayton was under prepared, but it seems to me he did fine until that moment with the donkey. I have had close calls with dear, rabbits and cats- it can happen anywhere. Adventure riding isn't doing 15000 miles in 1 day- its a tank this day and 300 miles the next. I guess I don't understand this idea that Clayton's zeal for adventure is the main issue- the issue was that one moment he made a poor judgement.

I've made the same errors, I just got lucky. I'm sure many if not most of us have at some point.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #1300
KSUperDuty
GNerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
There aren't any words. Ride on Clayton....

[IMG] Riderless by KSUperDuty, on Flickr[/IMG]
KSUperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #1301
danbrew
GSAdv.com

Oddometer: 1,035
Looks like the thread was locked for a while and is now open. I received this via email tonight, but it's not in the thread, so I'll try to add it.

I can't believe it's been five years.

-------------

KSUperDuty was contacted by Ozzy's mom and she wished for this post to be on this thread.
He then contacted me as he read this thread based on my sig line.
I guess she was unable to post, so I'm going to post what was forwarded to me.

From Ozzy's mom:

Originally Posted by Ozy'sMom

Dear KS:

It has been a very long time since I have visited this site. I see many have commented on the fact of my absence and thought it was because of his book being on line. I wanted to add this post at the end so that everyone who comes here could read this, but I see that the thread is closed.

Perhaps you can assist me in getting this onto the thread as you were the last to post.

There is no truth that my leaving the site had anything to do with Clay's book going public. While that was very difficult for me, I have since accepted that there is no such thing as keeping that kind of power covert. The truth is that each time I visited the site, it was so very touching and painful at the same time. This is a sacred place for me. Clay's bravery and tragedy co-mingle endlessly in the words of all the contributors. There is not a shard of doubt that his tragic end saved many other lives, and he lives on here in their posts. I only wish people could keep posting, and don't understand why the thread was shut down? Can you help me to figure this out, please?

It has been 5 years since Clay's passing. Time heals nothing, but life does go forward. He is never more than a minute from my mind. We continue to raise money in his name for his charity: The Clayton Schwartz Memorial Book Drive for Book "Em. Each year in March, Vanderbilt Lawschool conducts the drive. This year hundreds of books were donated and nearly $1,000 for needy children in Nashville. All donations put books into the hands of kids who could otherwise not afford them.

Those of you who read Clay's book know that he was a brillant writer and adored reading, learning and sharing. He started this drive, and as long as there is breadth in me, it will go forward. I think he would have been proud.

God Bless you all for all the wonderous ways that you honor him and try to understand who he was and what he did. Clayton was a complex person. His motives were multi-layered. However in the end, I believe it came down to a simple fact. He would not live in that body. He lived a full, albeit short life, and was satisfied that his race was run...
and smugmug for the latest photos
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #1302
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I understand some saying Clayton was under prepared, but it seems to me he did fine until that moment with the donkey. I have had close calls with dear, rabbits and cats- it can happen anywhere. Adventure riding isn't doing 15000 miles in 1 day- its a tank this day and 300 miles the next. I guess I don't understand this idea that Clayton's zeal for adventure is the main issue- the issue was that one moment he made a poor judgement.

I've made the same errors, I just got lucky. I'm sure many if not most of us have at some point.
Words of wisdom there GSF1200S, triggered by a very sad story.

An example from my experience is when riding through Indonesia, I noticed a horse running down a laneway towards the highway. I didn't know if there was a gate, but I eased off the throttle just in case. Sure enough, the horse ran onto the road and stopped right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes, and if you know a Suzuki Intruder VS1400, they are not the best. I stopped only metres apart, eyeballing one another.
A tip for when the traffic is crazy out on the highway, and there is no more crazy traffic than in Java: get behind a car. Let them create a safe path for you. Also, don't ride at night, the risks just escalate. And never ever be in a hurry. I'm not saying don't speed, just don't be in a hurry, there is a difference.

Regards,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1303
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Thanks for reopening this.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #1304
Ozy'sMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
So grateful for the post being opened!!!

Thank you for the gift of opening this thread!!! And KS, you are my hero for suppoting my effort. I have already received several e-mails from old ADV friends who come and visit Clay, his followers and my posts.
I have never liked cemeteries. Visiting them seems pointless somehow. This is not a judgement aganist anyone who finds solace and peace visiting loved ones. It is just that I find that this site is like a living memorial. People come to read in general, happen upon Clayton's words and take this stunning 80+ page journey through time. Again and again, the sum total of all of this wisdom changes peoples' lives.... How reverential is that? It is not a final resting place, but rather an evolving testimonial to all who meet here.
I will come back sooner now. I feel so blessed to read all of the opinions regardless of whether I agree or not. What matters most is that we are still talking and in doing so, we continue the reaching out, wherever it may lead...
Thank you all!!! XXXOOO
Ozy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #1305
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
I discovered this thread very soon after I joined ADV. Clay's story has touched me like no others on this forum could. In the summer of 2010 my brother in law suffered a very serious spinal cord injury in a mountain bike crash. His life was on the line and we thought he'd be a quad. I kept thinking of Clay's story while Barry was recovering, then I read the book...
It was scary to think someone so close to me may have to live with this injury. Fortunately Barry has almost fully recovered to the point where he is even driving! Every time I think about it, it astounds me how different the outcomes were. Each injury is as unique as is each individual.

Because of what happened to Barry and in part inspired by Clayton's story, I decided to combine my upcoming trip to South America with a fund raising effort to aid a local charity to purchase a bionic exoskeleton. These devices get people with low injuries walking. Not a cure but absolutely incredible watching someone walk after being bound to a chair. I have been moved to tears seeing it in action.

I just wanted to let you know that Clay continues to inspire.
Thank you Clayton
Thank you ADVrider
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote