User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #121
enduro gorilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Shadow

Buy that Vstrom. I've ridden mine over 40k. I have rode in mud , sand, snow. ( snowed while i was at work) Did many long days in the saddle riding well over speed limit. I rode In 100 degree weather and in 10 degree weather. I only had a starter headlight switch go bad in all that riding. Buy one and well ride I live in NJ also.
enduro gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #122
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Maybe I misunderstood something, but that sounds like a bit of a bizarre claim. For one thing (and please correct me, if Im wrong) the new 2012-> Wee has ABS as standard, all around the planet? I do agree though, that ABS is a great safety feature for riding on pavement or nice gravel. In fact the 2012 got a new ABS unit compared to the 2011.
Just my 0.02 of course.
The ABS was a driving factor in deciding to buy my Glee, not to mention the motor, very sweet. I agree with many above that understanding your personal limits as well as being familiar with your bike is what will keep you upright. No substitute for time in the saddle. I just had a discussion with some local friends. We are planning to go to Moab in April to ride bicycles with two support trucks. We brought up the topic of bringing our motorbikes but I immediately was uncomfortable doing that since I have yet to ride my Glee farther than around the parking lot at the dealer. Sugar sand, Rock shelves etc. is a recipe for disaster without being intimate with my bike first. Not a place to test out the ABS.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #123
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
This is a great discussion and I have found it very useful in trying to make my decision, but at the end of the day the question is the equivalent of asking:

"Convince me to marry this girl"

Sounds pretty rediculous right? Only you know what creams your twinky and what you can and cannot live with. So it is the same with a bike purchase. It's useful to get poeple's input, no doubt, but in the end, unless you get a feel for it, there's not way to really tell.

I'm leaning very heavily towards the wee '12 adventure because she's a good compromise of everything that is important to me. She will be the easiest to live with day to day. But that is a conclusion I'm coming to ONLY after sitting, smelling and fondoling many others over the last several months. It is really terrible that no dealerships in my area allow test rides, this has greatly delayed my decision. This "no sex before marriage" attitude around here really sucks!

MariusD screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 10:23 AM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #124
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Spock View Post
That is the lamest excuse in all time for someone to walk away from a Strom.

So the ABS on the Strom will not save your life but the one on a Tiger or BMW will? what bollocks!

if better ABS, traction control and suspension made safer bikes then we should all buy prototype MotoGP bikes. they have the best of all what you mentioned. they must be very "safe"?

hilarious
Oh Captn,

As I stated in my original post, I had a K3 Vee for 15k + miles, I know well it's capabilities and limitations. I also put 15K + miles in a similar, but higher performance bike. For the money, the Vstrom is the best choice. Happy now?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #125
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro gorilla View Post
Shadow

Buy that Vstrom. I've ridden mine over 40k. I have rode in mud , sand, snow. ( snowed while i was at work) Did many long days in the saddle riding well over speed limit. I rode In 100 degree weather and in 10 degree weather. I only had a starter headlight switch go bad in all that riding.
Ditto, except I've gone 55K miles on mine and it's never snowed while I was at work (though I have ridden it through snow!).

Also I think my temperature range has been more like 30F to 112F. But still. Like you, I've had a bad starter headlight switch (which mysteriously fixed itself) as my only non-tire-related mechanical issue.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #126
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
talk to me about 2005 wee/dl650 w/4k miles

after 35+ years, i'm a returning rider.

in july 2012, i bought a craigslist kawasaki 2006 z750s (z1000 baby brother) that had 11k.

i've ridden for just about 6 months and have put on about 3k miles.

i live in the northeast, work full-time, and have two kids in college-i'm busy and i'm glad i get to ride as often has i have.

but...

...my eyes have strayed.

yup, i looked around and found an original owner who had 1/2 dozen bikes which he is selling off as he is retiring from riding.

one in the stable is:

2005 dl650 red with only 4325 miles.

original owner installed MadStad adjustable windshield mount, SW-Motech Crashbar-Engine guard, and a SW-Motech Centerstand.

the bike is not pristine-several paint nicks on the gas tank and front fender.

i'm looking for thoughts on the 2005 model.

or should i wait for a newer year-2008? or 2010?

i'm not sure a need another bike.

but i am smitten.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob

robfilms screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:07 PM
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #127
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
i'm looking for thoughts on the 2005 model.

or should i wait for a newer year-2008? or 2010?
The real short history of the DL650: 2005 was the first with a black frame, 2007 got twin spark heads, and other modifications in the intake & exhaust, plus optional ABS. 2008 had improved alternator outpur (but not by much), and then there were very minor changes until 2012, when the styling, and many other things changed.

It seems common consensus nowadays, that 2012-> really is the best, not just because it is the newest. But before that, it does not make a whole lot of difference, which year model you buy. Personally, I would get the 2007 or newer, if all other things are equal, and the price is nearly the same (mostly because there is a slight improvement in fuel economy, that came with the changes). Also I would pay a bit more, if that would get me the ABS-version. But not saying the -05 would be a bad choice, either, and 4000 miles is nothing. Really depends on the money. (I live in Europe, so have no clue about prices for used bikes in the US.)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #128
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Check the tank for rust.

That'd be about the only problem that'd be a show stopper - well, O.K. it can be fixed, but it'd be a PITA to deal with. (Having to seal the tank, maybe a new pump, do the external filter mod). The newer ones went to a slightly beefier alternator, dual spark ignition and later still ABS. Only the ABS was a significant improvement, and only if you want ABS. The latest (2012+) model is a real improvement, but it'll be a while before they are cheap second hand.

The DL's are solid bikes, that's about the only problem I can see other than needing to check the rubber bits for cracking due to age, but most of them don't have problems like that anyway.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #129
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

pecha72/peter w-

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

that was exactly the kind of information i was seeking.

anyone else care to comment on a 2005 wee?

does the dual spark & beefier alternator matter as to reliability?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #130
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
The '05 Wee will be a great bike. The '08+ beefier alternator is useful if you run electrical accessories a lot, especially heated grips and heated jacket, but it's certainly not critical. And the single-spark heads are theoretically not quite as efficient as the '07+ dual-spark ones, but that's hardly a critical thing either.

My biggest question would be, what's the seller asking for a price? I've noticed that a fair number of sellers have been significantly overpricing their Wee-Stroms lately; I would say an '05, even with such low mileage, should not be more than $3500. If he's asking more, try to talk him down.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #131
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The '05 Wee will be a great bike. The '08+ beefier alternator is useful if you run electrical accessories a lot, especially heated grips and heated jacket, but it's certainly not critical. And the single-spark heads are theoretically not quite as efficient as the '07+ dual-spark ones, but that's hardly a critical thing either.

My biggest question would be, what's the seller asking for a price? I've noticed that a fair number of sellers have been significantly overpricing their Wee-Stroms lately; I would say an '05, even with such low mileage, should not be more than $3500. If he's asking more, try to talk him down.

--mark
mark-

very helpful response. thank you.

the seller is asking almost $4k due to the low mileage.

but even with those few miles it is still an 8 year old bike.

the weighing of cost vs benefit is a delicate balance.

be well.

rob
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #132
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
As far as reliability goes, none of the year models will be any more reliable than the next. The dual spark ones should be more effecient, but no more reliable. The bigger alternator may benefit you, but I don't recall having any issues on my 05 when I had it. Like any bike when you are running electrics such as liners, you don't want to putt around town with everything full blast. Running down the road at Hwy speeds and either bike should run heated gear with no ill effect.

I'd pass on the 05 for $4k even with that low of mileage. In my humble opinion, you can get a newer model for $4000-$4500 with more accessories on it. Granted the bike may have more miles, but honestly I would rather buy one that someone rode as long as it was taken care of, than a really low mileage bike that is 8 years old. Personally, I wouldn't want to be into the 05 for more than $3500 tops, less is better. I always look at what I can sell the bike for, before I even buy it. You may or may not like it, or you may have to sell it for other reasons so take that into consideration.

When I am looking at bikes, I factor in the accessories that it has if any. I know I am going to add bags, engine guards, skid plate, etc... By the time I am done setting the bike up, I can easily be into it another $1k or more. $4500 will get you a nicely set up DL650 that is a few years newer.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #133
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
I'd say, offer the guy $3500 cash -- maybe go look at the bike and wave the cash in front of him, which makes it that much harder to resist. If he still refuses to take it, walk away... and if he doesn't quickly change his mind, (a) keep looking for more bikes and (b) he's an idiot.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #134
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 82
For all intents the '04 up to '11 DL 650's are about the same. The difference in alternator output isn't enough to make all that much difference. While the twin plug engine in the later models is slightly more fuel efficient ( my '04 gets good mileage anyway) the extra plug is a pain to change. ABS is the only thing that would matter to me and that is only available on later models. This '05 has a few nice accessories, but I too think if there are cosmetic issues I wouldn't pay big money for it. Low miles is actually more of a problem with this bike than a benefit. I would much rather have one with 15-20K that I know has been maintained well.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #135
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Vstroms are useless cheap bikes, with no soul. They won't take ya anywhere cool or memory worthy.

Good for nuthin' I tell ya.

[IMG][/IMG]