Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Awesome. Thanks again guys! Hey misery goat I met you in I think it was northeast Argentina a few years ago. We hung out with loic from France. Pretty sure it was Argentina. I was on a honda 650. Thanks for the advice!
Hey I remember you! Wow, it's been a while. I envy you, you're in a great part of Mexico, amigo. Suerte!

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
You may be further south already but the road running south thru the Nevado de Toluca National park is fun. Great scenery with good pavement, sweepers to twisties. Cant remember the number but it is the smaller road closest to the volcano.. Then on south for the backway into Taxco. A little remote with good to broken pavement and a little dirt. Also quite scenic and Taxco is a fantastic place. I rode that stretch south to north last year and will most likely take that route back north on this trip.
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
El Explorador
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 273
Michoacan is actually pretty safe

I rode all around Michoacan and didn't find anything more disconcerting than a town that wants independence in the north. I'm pretty sure you won't find any meth labs on the side of any of the roads on that map, so stick to riding during daylight hours and you should be good (:

Post pics:coffee:
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
hi

Saludos
Ojala decidas viajar hacia la costa !!!!

Estas carreteras son muy tranquilas, las recomendaciones son siempre no rodar de noche !!!!!!! como en todo mexico ...

Si decides avanzar hacia Lazaro Cardenas sera un placer recibirte !!!!! ...... de todas esas carreteras que preguntas te podria dar mis comentarios ya que normalmente las utilizo con cierta frecuencia .... todas estan en buen estado y no tendras problema ..... no ruedes por la noche claro !!!! estare pendiente
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
dang, and here i was hoping i could find some good meth for cheap! oh well, maybe in oaxaca hahaha :)

seriously thanks again for all the info and the specific road advice guys. much, much appreciated. currently in Patzcuaro, what a cool little town.

I'm headed through chilpancingo next and was curious about the terrain so i googled "chilpancingo" and clicked on images. three of the first twelve thumbnails look about like this.

http://guerreronoticias.com/wp-conte...cingo-irza.jpg

I can see why people get freaked out with that kind of imagery floating around out there. At least its easy to get hotel rooms.
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

hi

if you are in Patzcuaro you can go to Tacambaro, then go to Huetamo, then Ciudad Altamirano, Arcelia, Teloloapan, Iguala.

If you are in Iguala you can take one option to Cuernavaca or you can go to the cost if you want to go to Oaxaca ..... i recomend the way close to the cost, is more cheap and interesting !!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
El Explorador
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 273
Coastal route

Guerrero had the prettiest ladies, and they were very friendly. Take your time there :)
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Explorador View Post
Guerrero had the prettiest ladies, and they were very friendly. Take your time there :)
Now you're talkin!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

recomendations !!!!

i recomend 2 places in Guerrero ( close your way ) :

1. Ixcateopan de Cuauhtemoc ( place where remain the bones of the last Aztec Empiror ) ( a 40 km de Taxco Gro. aprox )

http://www.arqueomex.com/S2N3nIXCATEOPAN82.html

2. Ancient buildings ( before Azteks ) very close to Zihuatanejo , ( a 20 km de Zihuatanejo Aprox, en direccion de acapulco, 5 km antes de llegar a un poblado llamado Petatlan Gro. )

http://www.ixtapatoursluis.com/xihuacan.php

: Freaky

EmilianoXR650L screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 11:33 AM
EmilianoXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Emiliano thanks again for the advice! I ended up getting lost yesterday outside of tucambaro on some back roads. Beautiful area but I lost some time there before I got onto the correct road to huetamo, which was a great ride but not even in my road map or gps. As a result I decided to just continue on toward taxco since I need to pick my gf at the Mexico airport on fri for the weekend. Then will be returning to Chilpancingo to cross into Oaxaca per original plan.

Spent the night in ciudad altamirano, not my favorite place in Mexico so far but hey at least the hotels were completely empty hahaha. Some a-hole accosted me on the side of the road there downtown when checking my map. In perfect English he said "are you American?" (yes) "park the fucking bike and sit the fuck down, you understand me" (haha "ok sure no problem" hit the throttle and rode off).

Today i saw your post and I took your route through ixcateopan, cutting up from pachivia through ixcateopan then onward to taxco. Stopped for a few pics of the ruins and the skeleton. Amazing roads and great little town! Thanks! Highly recommend to others headed this way.

After the ruins there were like 10 soldiers around my bike. Checked my passport and the usual chit chat. They said to stay in the main road to taxco, that there has been a lot of criminal activity on the back roads around there lately.

Also, when I was lost in the way to huetamo I stopped to chat with some ranchers. They circled an area on my map thu said to stay out of. These guys live right there so I assume they know what they're talking about. They said lots of guys wih guns there. Will try to post a pic of thr map from my phone if I can in case anyone searches for these town names and finds this post.

The whole area seems really chill and it's beautiful countryside and nice people. I would tend to agree that this would not be my first choice of an area for exploring unmarked dirt roads just on the off chance you pull up to the wrong guys driveway. Using the guia roji, I'd say if a road is yellow I'd go for it. Btw the bicci mapas software I just bought was useless in the dirt roads in this area.

Hope that info helps a future traveler! Sorry for typos, iPhone.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pic of map. You can see faint blue circle with x through it. That's where the rancher/farmer guys said was sketchy.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,702
I got on a nice dirt road south out of Patzcuaro that eventually meandered south and ran parallel to the main road to Huetamo. I got lost too and ended up getting on the main road just north of Huetamo. It was mostly farm land and few people and I didn't have any problems. Things change and at the end of the day you're the one logging the miles and taking the risk so it's proly best to follow your better judgment if it's not feeling right.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Right on, totally agree. Looking at the map now. Where I talked to the ranchers was in turicato, and they pointed me onto a really nice little dirt road with great views that put me onto the main road at caracuaro, and from there it was a perfectly enjoyable paved ride into huetamo. Now the next person who searches for any of these town names on advrider will have lots of info to pick through! Thanks again all!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
I last stayed in Patzcuaro @ Posada Nogales & made friends with the owner, his buddy a local lawyer( actually a member of the tribe that owns the boats,etc. at the lake you mention & which have almost zero business these days) and also met there local doc friend & also ate at his(the doc's) small hotel where his wife is the cook.
As for bad guys in that state they habitat the low places,i.e. valleys where there is enough water to grow weed. Like other parts of Mexico there are also some areas with a wholesale greenhouse trade in Poinsettas and other plants. yes it is a nice town. For a town with a historical flavor go to Morelia nearby. Visit the mariposa's wintering areas nearby too!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote