Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Don't they have some airweights nowadays which accept moon clips?

IIRC some of the revolvers which shoot rimless rounds such as 9mm are designed to work with moon clips. Just not sure if any (besides the Rhino pictured below) have done that with .38spl or .357 yet.

Not recommending this as I have no experience, but except for the cost, size & weight.

potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #17
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,461
I knew a lot of cops who carried the Taurus 85C (I think thats the letter/number designation..SW J frame copy) as a back up/second gun.

I've never heard of any issues.

Personally..I'd opt for a Smith and Wesson revolver. I've had one on my hip or in an ankle holster my entire police career.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,689
I have a Judge in titanium the shorter version in 2 1/2" shell, Love it...would buy another. I spend a fair amount of time in the woods sledding,biking,hunting, snowshoeing, hiking and f'n around and always have it with me, lightweight when loaded with Blazer alum. Case 45 LC's.

I had a Taurus 454 Casull raging bull for a while but that was just too big, set it up for tree stand hunting, replaced it with a 44 Super Blackhawk.

Have had a few other Taurus handguns, never had an issue.
2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653

If you are going to buy a gun to carry forget about a 2" .357 anything- as mentioned by a previous poster,since the .357 was created/developed around a 6" barrel, using a 2" barrel wastes the powder and gives you a tremendous muzzle flash from the unburned powder which is lost velocity/performance/energy. Stick with a .38 If you want a revolver. Also I'd recommend an older .38. The new ultra light Smiths and others are an absolute bear to shoot. They are uncomfortable unless you are shooting light wad cutter target type loads. Get you a used blue or stainless Ruger, Smith or Colt (Colts are usually freakishly high even used, not because they are special just the sellers think they are) and practice and learn to shoot it well. If you feel the need to trade up, sell it and get the next one that catches your eye.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post

My experience with their customer service is exactly opposite of Buellers apparently. I had really good people on the phone and had decent turnaround time for repairs.
It was gone for 6 months the first time. It came back just as fucked up as when I sent it. It was gone for 4 months the 2nd time. Again it came back just as fucked up as when I sent it.

Knowing what I know now (and didn't know then) it likely had some indexing issues. Shaved lead like a mofo, and would spit it back at the shooter with enough force to occasionally draw blood.

Like I said it wasn't the gun that turned me into a non-customer, it was the service.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Older ones had lousy heat treating and the internals wore out way too quickly. Modern ones (post 2000) seem to hold up pretty well.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
If you are going to buy a gun to carry forget about a 2" .357 anything-
Ruger SP101 in .357

You don't have to shoot .357, since it will shoot .38 Special as well.

Having options is good.

No way I'd buy a .38 when the same gun is available in .357/.38

The SP101 is a nice option in the small frame revolvers.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #23
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
I have played with one of these, they are light and the funny thing is they shoot out of the bottom. They do not seem as sharp as a "normal" 38 snubbie...and I think that is because the gun does shoot out the bottom and not the top. It was not mine, but in the stories I have read about chiappa in general, and personal experence with their 22 1911 I would want to do lots of home work before I picked one up.

As to the judge/gubnator guns...it is all a gimick....have any of you ever shot one of those thing....I did once and that was enough...not fun. The are big, heavy, big, hard to shoot, big, loud...oh did I say big....if I was to do that I would carry a full sized 1911 or a 92f...both are about as easy to hide as a judge....heck I think you could hide a bazooka with more ease.

As to the 410 being a defence round, Eh.....I carry a 32acp and do not feel that my dick is any smaller than those that say you have to carry a gun that startw with a .4 If you think anything is not up to being a "defence" load tie your gun to a tree rig up a string and shoot yourself with it....then get back to me....I am so fucking sick and tired of this bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
Don't they have some airweights nowadays which accept moon clips?

IIRC some of the revolvers which shoot rimless rounds such as 9mm are designed to work with moon clips. Just not sure if any (besides the Rhino pictured below) have done that with .38spl or .357 yet.

Not recommending this as I have no experience, but except for the cost, size & weight.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,274
First, http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Number=1914670

That they aren't made anymore, according to one source I read, would suggest that they couldn't make them correctly in the first place.

Taurus was a crappy gun company that became an 'iffy' gun company when they began making some of their models to work reliably. One that is of interest to me, but not a CCW piece for most, would be their Glock copy that is called the 24/7 I think. Anyway...

I carry a S&W 642 AIrweight a whole helluva a lot more than I ever carried my blocky, and heavier, Glock 23. In fact, I used to carry the Glock up in a colder state where I usually had more clothes to conceal it with, but it just isn't a great CCW weapon for anyone who isn't overweight. Now down here in Florida the 642 isn't sexy or anything, and it's a bear to practice shoot, but it's the perfect lightweight companion to carry in so many situations.

I think I bought my 642 from a reasonable gun dealer, new, for only $340. So this choice to go Taurus can't be about price...

re: .357 ... great in a police gun, but +P .38 is beyond 'snappy' and uncomfortable after 60 rounds in an Airweight as it is... I understand the desire to pack a punch, but it's not like an owner of either a .357 or .38 Airweight is going to enjoy shooting their pistol. They just aren't enjoyable, IMHO - they're what you buy to carry.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #25
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have played with one of these, they are light and the funny thing is they shoot out of the bottom. They do not seem as sharp as a "normal" 38 snubbie...and I think that is because the gun does shoot out the bottom and not the top.
It's not just the barrel/firing cylinder orientation. The grip is also "choked up" higher than a traditional revolver to put the recoil impulse more in line with the wrist and arms.

Quote:
It was not mine, but in the stories I have read about chiappa in general, and personal experence with their 22 1911 I would want to do lots of home work before I picked one up.
It's Italian. I would like to get one if my gunz budget could afford it. A bit more "practical" than a Mateba.

Quote:
As to the judge/gubnator guns...it is all a gimick....
Of course. It's marketing. Insecure people want to have a big heavy gun to make themselves feel safe.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
rocker59

I agree. Pickup a nice used Ruger SP101. Compact, stainless and robust with the .357 option at no extra charge. A quality piece. Shot 1000s of rounds out of mine before I sold it to a good buddy who still loves it.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Of course. It's marketing. Insecure people want to have a big heavy gun to make themselves feel safe.[/QUOTE]

The judge is a gimmick,

Seriously, it is one of the best close range guns out there. It is not a gun to take to the range and punch paper with, but to call it a gimmick is a reach. With the right shells, it is about the most deadly handgun you can have within 5 yards of your target you can buy. I keep it in my bedroom for my fiance who would have a hard time using my shotgun.

Here is an interesting video, a bit long winded, but he goes through about every type of shot for the judge. I am running the Winchester PDX1 loads in mine.

liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #28
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
I have the 85 poly nice gun but the space
between the cylinder and frame is pretty tight
Had a few remington shells stop the rotation
just fired 100 rounds of federal no problems
^this^
I have a 605 Poly and just experienced the tightness between the cylinder and frame as well (First time). I was having trouble finding rounds in .357 HP's but the range i went to had some "Independence" 158/jsp under the counter, not only did they have issues they were hot loads and left my hand ringing after only about 20 rds. This was the first time i've ever had issues with the gun.

Now to original point, i love that little gun, very light and easy to CC and for a 2" barrel it's very accurate (surprising for anyone who shot it). I have also owned numerous Taurus handguns and have found them to be very reliable and easy to clean/maintain. I have a PT92 i bought new back in 1989 and 23 years later it's still one of the best 9s i have.

oh and a pic of the .357 just because
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
I do not disagree that it is effective.....where I do disagree is that anyone would carry the thing. I am not a fan of leaving anything in your car, or having it in a bag and not on your person. It is just flat ass too big to carry.

But I do agree that if there was a home invasion there are few other weapons that would be as handy as a shotgun pistol and that goes double true for folks that are not well versed in guns in general....that is one thing a revolver brings to the table, pull the trigger and it goes bang....if it does not go bang keep pulling till it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Of course. It's marketing. Insecure people want to have a big heavy gun to make themselves feel safe.
The judge is a gimmick,

Seriously, it is one of the best close range guns out there. It is not a gun to take to the range and punch paper with, but to call it a gimmick is a reach. With the right shells, it is about the most deadly handgun you can have within 5 yards of your target you can buy. I keep it in my bedroom for my fiance who would have a hard time using my shotgun.

Here is an interesting video, a bit long winded, but he goes through about every type of shot for the judge. I am running the Winchester PDX1 loads in mine.

[/QUOTE]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
We are getting off the small caliber subject the OP was after.

But as for the Judge, particurally the Raging Judge, yes they are big massive guns. they are NOT a pratical choice to carry around. If you want something to holster and wear, get a properly sized gun. But there is value in the Judge. It is fun to shoot. Go out with some friends and we all love shooting the Judge. So what is wrong with that? Does every gun have to be small and conceable? I have other options for that. Some people want an enjoyable gun more then one that will fit up there ass crack comfortably. To each there own.

Now for the smaller caliber/smaller frame versions. Reading the above posts and filtering through them it sounds like you should be good with the newer (post y2k?) quality.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: