Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #14356
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I moved down here in the 90's from the Rocky Mnt High of CO and hated it at first.
After a few years of offroading and being able to shoot 5 minutes from my house I grew to like the desert.

After my wife graduated college last month, we rented out our house in Cruces and moved out to her family's cattle ranch about 2 hours away (between Hachita and Columbus). I go coyote hunting every morning and there are great trails to ride... if you have an operable bike.
Awesome. Yeah, there are things that you can do in NM that simply won't fly in most other places. For instance, I had an RGV250 with a plate while I lived there. Always fun to smoke the big sportbike guys on a bike that sounds like a pissed-off lawnmower.

I'll have to look you up next time I pass through NM. I am way overdue for a moto trip through that area.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #14357
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
Awesome. Yeah, there are things that you can do in NM that simply won't fly in most other places. For instance, I had an RGV250 with a plate while I lived there. Always fun to smoke the big sportbike guys on a bike that sounds like a pissed-off lawnmower.

I'll have to look you up next time I pass through NM. I am way overdue for a moto trip through that area.
I miss the golden days of being able to plate a dirt bike here.
Check out my ordeal of getting this DR350 plated:
The NM Dirtbike

Hopefully I'll have my Terra 650 by early March and I'll take you up on that ride.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #14358
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Its a manual decomp. I haven't checked the cable or assembly for that, guess its worth a shot.

Although someone mentioned an obstructed exhaust which just got me thinking. Since the exhaust is pretty much sealed with this Supercrapp muffler, the only thing that can get in there is water...

And I did hose the bike off before I took this pic and the bike started acting funny the next day:

I doubt the water rusted the pipe or affected the exhaust, but possibly I soaked something electrical? I've rinsed the bike off before and ridden it in the rain and never had any issues, but may this last time I soaked something?
Ohhhhh...check your decompression cable...make sure you have play. It may be that the Acerbis tank install dislodged the cable assembly/freeplay/etc. That could certainly cause poor running.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #14359
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
It's a 95 dirt model, correct? If so, it has an auto decompression cam. They still have the decomp lever but you don't need to use it. Highly doubtful that the cable is an issue, it would either not start or run like crap the entire time.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #14360
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
It's a 95 dirt model, correct? If so, it has an auto decompression cam. They still have the decomp lever but you don't need to use it. Highly doubtful that the cable is an issue, it would either not start or run like crap the entire time.
Ya, '95. Ok, I wondered why I never needed it or what it was for.

Just checked it, it is closed. I played with it a little, everything seems fine.
Fired up the bike while I was out there, same problem, different day.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #14361
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Ya, '95. Ok, I wondered why I never needed it or what it was for.

Just checked it, it is closed. I played with it a little, everything seems fine.
Fired up the bike while I was out there, same problem, different day.
Entire electrical system should be priority mailed your way today. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #14362
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Entire electrical system should be priority mailed your way today. Good luck.
Hooking the brother UP!!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #14363
TinyTim
Noob

Oddometer: 54
Help needed - Optional Oil Cooler

I hope to put an oil cooler into my DR350-SEX. It is not the OEM part listed as optional in the DR350 parts fiche. Will this do?

In the fiche diagram below where do I connect the two hoses? On my bike I see an oil hose similar to the pink hose but it does not have the in/out connector(circled red). Can I connect to either A or B?

Also I do not have the blue hose but I can get one made. Question is where do I connect it to on the engine? Someone has a picture? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #14364
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTim View Post
I hope to put an oil cooler into my DR350-SEX. It is not the OEM part listed as optional in the DR350 parts fiche. Will this do?

In the fiche diagram below where do I connect the two hoses? On my bike I see an oil hose similar to the pink hose but it does not have the in/out connector(circled red). Can I connect to either A or B?

Also I do not have the blue hose but I can get one made. Question is where do I connect it to on the engine? Someone has a picture? Thanks in advance.

Pablo83

has some great pics and info on his thread here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...620198&page=26

also check out his first page for links to specific mods

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #14365
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 382
I would strongly recomend that you install valves and a bypass line when you do your oil cooler installation. A punctured oil cooler out in the middle of nowhere can REALLY suck. Having a way to bypass it might save your bacon some time, and it's easy to do while you are doing the initial installation.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #14366
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

The OEM cooler uses the pink hose. It "T"s off the main oil line. I think it only allows some of the oil to pass through the oil cooler. This is standard with other OEM oil coolers. Not sure exactly what the purpose is. Maybe a thermostat bypass so as not to over cool the engine.

Those that install an aftermarket coolers divert 100% of the oil. I beleive they cut the one of the OEM oil hose, and in essence stick the cooler inline.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #14367
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Hello.

Throttle is tough but without return cable, snaps right back.
Do you need it?

Thanks,

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #14368
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Its a manual decomp. I haven't checked the cable or assembly for that, guess its worth a shot.

Although someone mentioned an obstructed exhaust which just got me thinking. Since the exhaust is pretty much sealed with this Supercrapp muffler, the only thing that can get in there is water...

And I did hose the bike off before I took this pic and the bike started acting funny the next day:

I doubt the water rusted the pipe or affected the exhaust, but possibly I soaked something electrical? I've rinsed the bike off before and ridden it in the rain and never had any issues, but may this last time I soaked something?
This pictures makes it look like you have a kink in you fuel line. I'd say forget about the right side loob and jsut plumb in the left side of the tank. I guess this will be moot when you return to the stock tank.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #14369
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
RuggedExposure: Hmmm....watched your video, read a bunch of your posts and replies from other guys...something simple is plaguing your bike... I got something to suggest.. this is from experience with a machine that would do just about the same thing.. Totally differnt machine, but very very VERY similar...

What kinda hand controls do you have? Does it have a "slide" switch for "Run" and "stop"? or does it have a push button stop switch? Reason i ask...i had an ATV that would do this exact thing..turned out that the damn Slide switch for RUn and STOP had just enough slop in it that it would jiggle around and cut out, leaving me stranded half ways up over hill climbs or usually in the WORST situation that it possibly could..

The video makes me think its electrical...Its hit and miss, randomly missing violently.. Typically, Violent misses like that are form electrical issues. Loose Connection somewhere maybe? I think a jiggle test is in order for you wiring.. This was the only way ive ever found 2 electrical issues. i had an issue with a fuel injected machine that had a bad connection at one of the relays that caused it to Backfire, Load up and foul plugs, fall on its face, etc etc.

See if any of this helps ya..it may, but it may not. Cant wait till ya get this ole girl fixed!!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #14370
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,871
Mine had arcing from the stator loom to the frame. It was impossible to track down until it shocked the crap out of me while I was checking something else. A little electrical tape fixed it right up. Bike runs great now.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote