Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #18271
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 130
Video from Manu! on his way to the podium.

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #18272
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Questions for HogWild: Riders have to navigate themselves, cars have a navigator, who did the navigating on the sidecar, pilot or monkey? Did they do away with the sidecar class altogether? Thanks.
Yes, ASO eliminated the sidecar class. That's probably because none were entering the event since 2006. My guess is if a group of sidecars asked to enter, ASO might put the class back in.

I love the nav part, so I do it (as driver), in Dakar, and in my roadbook rides, though the sidecar has been parked for almost 3 years now.

Depending on my passenger, they would sometimes navigate as well. Duane, my Dakar passenger, didn't navigate much. When Joe Hauler rode with me, he's also a navigation nut, so he was always telling me what to do (yell in my ear). He always liked to look way ahead in the roadbook, so he was constantly telling me to roll the roadbook forward (I had the switch control).

I suppose having me drive and navigate probably slowed us down a bit, but it's a big part of the enjoyment for me, so it's worth the tradeoff.

When you have two people, I think the most important part is to do whatever works best as a team. In a car, it's clearly best to have the navigator do the navigating (unless he's really bad). The car navigator has no control of the car, so there's little for him to do but navigate. On the other hand, controlling an off-road sidecar requires a lot of action (leaning and other movement) by the passenger. So he's got to watch the terrain just as much as the driver. And since he doesn't know exactly what line the driver will take, he has to be extra vigilant to quickly react to what the driver is doing. As the driver, I can let off on the throttle when I need to look at the roadbook. The passenger never knows what the throttle or handlebars are going to do, so he may have less opportunity to look at the roadbook.

In the Baja 1000 the course is marked, burned in, and there is no roadbook. But there are lots of places where there are multiple "lines" through the terrain. When I raced there, I "navigated" most of the time, even though 100% of it was new terrain to me, and all 3 of my passengers had prerun (I did not prerun). Only Joe Hauler had much to say about where I should go. He knows all that stuff like the back of his hand, so he knew where the "good" lines were. When he suggested a line, I took it about 75% of the time. Other times “his” line didn’t look like a good sidecar line to me, or it was too late to get there, so I went the other way. This created a lot of friction between us, which just about boiled over. At one point I had to stop, shut off the engine, and have a bit of a talk. We came to a mutual agreement where I gave in to one of his requests, and he gave in to one of mine. This was a situation where a change in team dynamics was needed in order to get to the finish. For car navigator Andy Grider in last year’s Dakar, the outcome was different. He bailed, I think over a safety issue. Having two people together can be tough. Having both in control of the machine, as on a sidecar, requires a whole other level of cooperation!

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #18273
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Highlights of a tv interview with Hélder Rodrigues:

I hoped to win the Dakar, or at least to get to the podium. I wasn't happy.

I had 2 problems with gas. On the 2nd and 3rd day I ran out of fuel, and I lost 25 minutes. On the Fiambala stage I had a problem with a wire that connects the telemetry and the cdi and lost another 50 minutes. That's 1 hour and 15. To much in a race like the Dakar.

The flaws weren't too serious. They could happen next year in a more developed bike. These thinks can't happen but they did. I had bad luck.

On the sandier stages the bike did 14 L / 100 kms and we thought it would be 10 L / 100 Km. We made tests on hard terrain and not enough tests on sand.
6 month to prepare a new bike for the Dakar is too little, for me and for the bike.

We had a metting after the Dakar and the big Honda bosses came. They were very happy.
Honda is already making a new bike with a new chassis and engine. All for the next Dakar. We are going to do a lot of tests, we are going to compete in almost all races of the world championship.
This is very good. It's very important for a rider to finish the Dakar and know what the next year will be like.

http://sicnoticias.sapo.pt/1974081

8340SU screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 10:50 AM
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #18274
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Yes, ASO eliminated the sidecar class. That's probably because none were entering the event since 2006. My guess is if a group of sidecars asked to enter, ASO might put the class back in.

I love the nav part, so I do it (as driver), in Dakar, and in my roadbook rides, though the sidecar has been parked for almost 3 years now.
Awesome info. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #18275
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

I had 2 problems with gas. On the 2nd and 3rd day I ran out of fuel, and I lost 25 minutes. On the Fiambala stage I had a problem with a wire that connects the telemetry and the cdi and lost another 50 minutes. That's 1 hour and 15. To much in a race like the Dakar.

The flaws weren't too serious. They could happen next year in a more developed bike. These thinks can't happen but they did. I had bad luck.

On the sandier stages the bike did 14 L / 100 kms and we thought it would be 10 L / 100 Km. We made tests on hard terrain and not enough tests on sand.
6 month to prepare the Dakar in a new bike is too little for me and for the bike.

We had a metting after the Dakar and the big Honda bosses came. They were very happy.
Honda is already making a new bike with a new chassis and engine. All for the next Dakar. We are going to do a lot of tests, we are going to compete in almost all races of the world championship.
This is very good. It's very important for a rider to finish the Dakar and know what the next year will be like.

New bike, new chassis, new engine - WTF
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #18276
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,640
I read this as instead of utlizing the testing of this bike and fixing the weak links we are going to rebuild a new bike from the ground up again. Seems like an odd approach but maybe it makes sense from a perspective I dont see.

Quote:

6 month to prepare the Dakar in a new bike is too little for me and for the bike.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #18277
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
New bike, new chassis, new engine - WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I read this as instead of utlizing the testing of this bike and fixing the weak links we are going to rebuild a new bike from the ground up again. Seems like an odd approach but maybe it makes sense from a perspective I dont see.
I just reviewed the interview and that's exactly what he said...,
but I don't know what he meant.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #18278
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,833
I bet they change the name too....
That is indeed an odd approach. Financially speaking I think they are going to put a good sum together so in 2014 they are on the podium (or they think they will be ) .
The 14lt per 100kms is amazing though ... That means that with 30lt you do a little more than 200 kms without refuelling. I wonder what is the fuel consumption on the other bikes

Very good information Hogwild, I mean being next to the rider in the sidecar would be an amazing experience !
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #18279
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Some quotes of Ruben Faria in the portuguese press.

"I want more, of course. Every pilot's dream is to run for himself, but I was unable to date. I have a contract with KTM until later this year, but I don't have a contract yet for the next Dakar," he said.

"There was no sensation.I'm working for Cyril and I knew that the first place would not make any sense. Was a whole year to work toward a goal that was met. The Second place was a gift," he said.

"I wanted to thank Cyril Despres, who was the person who called me between 2009 and 2010 to see if I wanted to go to Dakar as 'water carrier'. My career possibly would have ended that year, since I had no sponsors to continue. He gave me a hand, "he recalled.

Moreover, Ruben Faria revealed some grief for not get any portuguese sponsoring, something that affects many portuguese athletes.
"It's a bit frustrating for all of us athletes, many of whom are my friends, and all complain of the same. Fortunately, right now I'm in a foreign team, I can not complain much, but I would like to have portuguese sponsor," he lamented .

And a video of the champagne party at the airport when he arrived.
His wife is six month pregnant and she said she followed the Dakar on a computer.
Maybe a F5 lurker...

http://sicnoticias.sapo.pt/1974175
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #18280
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla314 View Post
Video from Manu! on his way to the podium.

And who is helping him PACO MARATHON on the best brand in the Dakar.

Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #18281
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,614
Quote:
I just reviewed the interview and that's exactly what he said...,
but I don't know what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
I bet they change the name too....
That is indeed an odd approach. Financially speaking I think they are going to put a good sum together so in 2014 they are on the podium (or they think they will be ) .

The 14lt per 100kms is amazing though ... That means that with 30lt you do a little more than 200 kms without refuelling. I wonder what is the fuel consumption on the other bikes
I dragged the HRC for 2014 "announcement" over to the "HRC Specific" thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...804950&page=80

An interesting development for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #18282
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Evolution spurned by Dakar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
What HRC plans is what all the Dakar bikes are doing, and have been doing... Going smaller and lighter.

KTM will replace their current platform next couple of years (possibly next) as it was one of the heavier bikes.

HRC will merely be following suit to match or fall under the BMW/u Husky and Yamaha scales.

I think the ASO may be enjoying a more technical race format and for riders where lighter becomes easier.

Remember back when Boxers and LC8's ruled the Dakar? Oh the good old days... But it looks like these times a changing.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #18283
paulk46
Katoom

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
And who is helping him PACO MARATHON on the best brand in the Dakar.

lovely little vid.

KTM 950 Adventure (05)
I'm not lost, just never been here before
paulk46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #18284
g-haad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Fuel economy in Perspective

That is incredible, 14l/100km coincides exactly with what I averaged over just under 10,000km this fall up through Yukon and Alaska in a 7.3L machine.

...this one in fact::

although I suppose it could be argued that it was actually 7.5L with the XT200 on the back...

Maybe I need to head the other direction next year. Dakar 2014!
Attached Images

g-haad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #18285
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-haad View Post
That is incredible, 14l/100km coincides exactly with what I averaged over just under 10,000km this fall up through Yukon and Alaska in a 7.3L machine.

...this one in fact::

although I suppose it could be argued that it was actually 7.5L with the XT200 on the back...

Maybe I need to head the other direction next year. Dakar 2014!
Hey, the ford has a Quigley in it does it... its Dakar Ready!

If you race the van, you can use the bike to get fuel when you run out.
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote