Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinite View Post
Hi everyone, thank you for your replies. The main reason i wanted to get at least 100 kph is because i live on the Canadian prairies and most everything that is paved here is as flat as tabletop. The highways can get pretty crazy with tailgaters and motorhomes, RV's etc..i need to pass at times to keep clear. Don't get me wrong slow is good for the fun factor. I still want to get a patrol with all those options and go for broke. I'm competant with wrenches as i am a KLR owner. My wife does support this purchase but i must sell the thumper first. Last question, are there any Ural clubs out there?

Thanks again
For the dirt back farm roads a Ural would be great but for a hwy prairie schooner rig I'd pass. If you're crusing along at 100kph and decide to pass a motorhome etc. make "sure" of your traffic situation waaay down the road then kick back, light a smoke and go for it but expect you may be in Saskatchewan before you get around the RV. Passing vehicles on the hwy is NOT a Urals strong point. I've crossed the Canadian great plains on a 2 wheeler but can't imagine even attempting it on my Ural. I also don't like running a bike fully maxed out wound up tighter than a guitar string for miles and miles. These bike are NOT built for that duty. For your use and safety I'd go with an oilhead BMW like a R1200GS and add a chair. Gonna be a lot more expense but you'll survive to tell the tale. For your intended Ural hwy use I think eventually you'll find yourself in a situation you can't get out of gracefully.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
In todays speeds, to me the top speed is the biggest limiting factor you need to think about. That said, if you are never in a hurry when your on your bike, and can plan realistic mileage for days you'll really enjoy it. It does motor along quite nicely (especially on forest / dirt roads).
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Morinite OP
KLRista

Oddometer: 116
This info has all been great. I'm pretty sure i'll get one for sure. I love the whole concept of the three wheels any ural riders out here on the prairies? I'm pretty close to North Dakota too.

Thanks again for all the great advice

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,801
Morinite,
You might want to join http://www.curdforum.net/forum/ Canadian Ural Riders Discussion. Nice bunch of people there.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Morinite,
You might want to join http://www.curdforum.net/forum/ Canadian Ural Riders Discussion. Nice bunch of people there.
Good resource for Ural owners certainly - also there is the is the Canadian Sidecar Owners club (not many prairie province members at the moment but working on it) - free forums if you don't want to signup as a full member.

www.sidecarclub.ca
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
RobDek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Take note of CURD's renewed Helping Hands Network. A listing of fellow CURDs around North America willing to lend a hand to those in need on the road while traveling.
RobDek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
planzman
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 663
how many kph is 68 mph?

I usually have trouble drifting up to that speed, cant seem to hold it back.
it is what it is, still a litle throtle left at that, but not much, bike seems happy there.
now, what are these extra peices in my final drive?
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
I usually have trouble drifting up to that speed, cant seem to hold it back.
it is what it is, still a litle throtle left at that, but not much, bike seems happy there.
now, what are these extra peices in my final drive?
68MPH is ~110Kph.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I don't think the US bikes are set up any different than the Canadian. But with 9000 Km on my 2011GearUp I can easily hold a GPS reported 65mph with omph left. Would probably top out at 70+ (I think Motorcycle Consumer News listed 73 at 5400 rpm, the upper limit recommended by the factory.) MPG at those speeds is as poor as you would expect, 28 mpg. I'm in south florida so it's flat, roads are straight, cagers just flat dangerous.

That said, I like running in the 55-60 mph range better. With a tail wind I've gotten 31 mpg. Mostly I go 152-160 km before turning on reserve. I carry two ten liter cans so I don't have to sweat every gas station. Out on the plains, might be worth adding that extra 10 liter can.

For fun, the Ural has it hands down. I have a 2010 BMW RT, but it can go a month between rides now. Vasily is my grab and go bike.

Maintenance, yup, gotta do it, but very easy to do. Think tractor and you got the right attitude
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I'll echo what others have already said. I've only had my '08 Gear Up a few weeks, but I had to drive over 500 miles to get it home. I was on that rig for 14 hours straight and did a constant 60mph on the highway without missing a beat or any signs of resistance from the bike. They can go on the highway, just don't expect to do more than 60-65mph. The literature from the factory lists the top recommended speed as 65mph. It's generally recommended not to go faster than that, but if you have to, not to do it for long. And like others have said, check out www.sovietsteeds.com & russianiron.com. I'm doing some work on mine right now and they are very helpful people.

Good luck with your decision!
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
dbigkahunna
Whopeee

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
I don't think the US bikes are set up any different than the Canadian. But with 9000 Km on my 2011GearUp I can easily hold a GPS reported 65mph with omph left. Would probably top out at 70+ (I think Motorcycle Consumer News listed 73 at 5400 rpm, the upper limit recommended by the factory.) MPG at those speeds is as poor as you would expect, 28 mpg. I'm in south florida so it's flat, roads are straight, cagers just flat dangerous.

That said, I like running in the 55-60 mph range better. With a tail wind I've gotten 31 mpg. Mostly I go 152-160 km before turning on reserve. I carry two ten liter cans so I don't have to sweat every gas station. Out on the plains, might be worth adding that extra 10 liter can.

For fun, the Ural has it hands down. I have a 2010 BMW RT, but it can go a month between rides now. Vasily is my grab and go bike.

Maintenance, yup, gotta do it, but very easy to do. Think tractor and you got the right attitude
I hit reserve around 200km and it will take 4 gallons (plus or minus) to fill the tank. That is 200 km X0.62=124 miles/4 gallons=31mpg. I still do not think my engine is broke in yet as I am still getting more and more power and top end. I have hit 75 on mine on flat strech with no wind. Pushing a 30 plus headwind I hit reserve at 170km which winds up around 26 mpg and that is with a windshield on the bike and hack.
Do not be intimidated by the maintenance. Have someone show you or watch on youtube how to set the valves. Feeler gauges, 14 mm for the valve covers and two 13 mm wrenches for the valves. It aint rocket science. Keep up with the lubrication changes and grease the splines when called for. If you can keep up with the maintenece on a KLR, the Ural is a breeze.
dbigkahunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
PetrB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
In the Russian Internet are tons of excellent old books about Ural and Dnepr. But most of its are about old 750 flathead and 650 OHV and in Russian. Some of these books have a many illustrations and the text can be translated through online translators. For example - Kotov P.N - "Heavy motorcycles repairing and maintenance" - its a Bible of Russian uralistas/dnepristas: http://www.kodges.ru/101314-remont-t...otociklov.html

And this book about new 750 OHV: http://2kojleca.ru/index.php/moto-kn...hivanie-remont

"Only God is Russian Oppozite, and The Kotov - his prophet")))
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
Russentreiber
Free-Biker

Oddometer: 15
Thumb My advice

Quote:
Hello folks, been a while since I've posted on Adv Rider, anyway;

I currently own and ride a 06 KLR 650. I love my bike but I've had it since it was new and wish to get something else. That being said I really like the Ural side car set up. We can get them in Canada and they run about 15K$ CDN new. (incl taxes & fully optioned) I think the concept of having a reverse gear and two wheel drive is just outstanding. I also want to ride with my little girl and dog in the side car (ATGATT of course). I also wish to do some bike camping and do some lite offroading (mostly quad trails).

After conducting a little bit of research, I found that the bike's top speed is only 90-95kph (for a 750cc??) and that the bike can have issues such as electical problems and fuel issues too. Also that that there are problems with fit and finish issues. So my questions to the group are;

1) Are these really problems or are they real world issues I should be concerned with?

2) Are there places out there that specialize (In North America) in these bikes to get the most out them without spending tons of cash?

3) Are there other side car set ups (ie hacks) that would work just as well?

Any input would be great, please excuse my ignorance about side cars and the like as I'm just a dude trying his best.

Cheers
Here I am
2012 Ural Ranger, 10'500 km (8000 made in 2 weeks across Europe) and no issues !
Top speed around 110 km/h give or take... usually cruising at 80-90 km/h... Take it easy...
Off roading is ok from my experience, the Ranger can be impressive if YOU know how to use it
Long tours and camping is what it's build for :) Lot of cargo space,
HINT: Get the spare wheel cargo-rack ;)

BUT:
Uraling is a lifestyle!
Forget about timetables or fast traveling ! The Ural is build for running and running at 'bout 80-90 any higher CAN get you temperature issues in hot summer (remember: It's Siberian!)
You'll spend PLENTY of time at Gas stations answering questions about your bike and yourself plus it's a chick-magnet

Listen to who said getting a riding class !!! It's completely different from a bike or even a Quad !!!
Not difficult... but VERY DIFFERENT !

Ural is like a Jeep... Love it or Hate it... but that's only up to YOU
Me ? I LOVE it !!!

Cheers
Rich.-
Italy
Russentreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Hack your KLR!

Quote:
Hello folks, been a while since I've posted on Adv Rider, anyway;

I currently own and ride a 06 KLR 650. I love my bike but I've had it since it was new and wish to get something else. That being said I really like the Ural side car set up. We can get them in Canada and they run about 15K$ CDN new. (incl taxes & fully optioned) I think the concept of having a reverse gear and two wheel drive is just outstanding. I also want to ride with my little girl and dog in the side car (ATGATT of course). I also wish to do some bike camping and do some lite offroading (mostly quad trails).

After conducting a little bit of research, I found that the bike's top speed is only 90-95kph (for a 750cc??) and that the bike can have issues such as electical problems and fuel issues too. Also that that there are problems with fit and finish issues. So my questions to the group are;

1) Are these really problems or are they real world issues I should be concerned with?

2) Are there places out there that specialize (In North America) in these bikes to get the most out them without spending tons of cash?

3) Are there other side car set ups (ie hacks) that would work just as well?

Any input would be great, please excuse my ignorance about side cars and the like as I'm just a dude trying his best.

Cheers
Hey, don't count out that 06 KLR just yet! Lookee what I did with mine...........

More details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post20065320
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #30
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
I have to say this.I have a 031150 GSA/Ural..We did this for the horsepower and its the only tub my wife likes..But everytime I ride my buddys 2012 Gear up or any other Ural rig makes me think of owning 2 rigs.I've never played with a rig that makes me smile like a Ural.I spend more time playing with the reverse than anything else.If I could put a reverse on my oilhead I'd be in heaven..There is some very good advice about the Ural go try one that tells alot..Sidecars are strange way to ride ,but you either love it or hate..Me Ilove it..Good luck...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote