Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #4456
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRED View Post
Mark, Did you take the helicopter ride around and over the falls. That was the highlite for me.

Don
Hola Don,

The helo would have been great, but I did not do it. Still lots of other things to do.

Hope all is well!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #4457
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
What? no jump shot?!
You know. I thought about it, but the spot I was going to do one was clear, then swamped with people.

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #4458
korukiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I felt as if I was back with you and Team Kiwi

Splendour and power fall out of your Iguacu photos.
Paradise (Queenstown, NZ) awaits you.
korukiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #4459
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by korukiwi View Post
Splendour and power fall out of your Iguacu photos.
Paradise (Queenstown, NZ) awaits you.
And I cannot wait to be there again. :)

Radioman screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 05:11 AM
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #4460
Radioman OP
Moto rider

More Buenos Aires!

So I returned to Buenos Aires after seeing the amazing Iguazu. The first thing to do Monday morning was to go get my motorcycle gloves. Remember back at the last border crossing into Argentina enroute to Ushuaia. Had one of my Motoport winter gloves stolen. Well I contacted Wayne from Motoport USA and explained the situation, wondering if he had a spare left glove that he could send me so that I would have a set. Well he did!! Thanks Wayne for doing this!! It is great buying from companies that support you in your endeavors and help when you need it, not just before the sale. http://www.motoport.com Have had his riding gear for a long time now and been very happy with the gear!

It took over a month to ship them to Ushuaia and I had already left. But I had left the right glove with Javier at the Martin Fierro B&B where I stayed, and told him if the glove arrives, we can figure out how to get it to me. Worked out great. He let me know when it arrived, and then had one of his guest from Germany bring it with them when they flew up to Buenos Aires on there way home. Thanks Thanks to Maike and Joaquin for bring it up and leaving it at their hotel for me to collect!! Kindness of strangers!

So now I have some warm gloves for NZ.

Time for some sightseeing while I take breaks from working on logistics while I head to NZ. Lots of things to consider, plan, book, think about prior to getting it al sorted out.

First to the Opera house for a tour.

It is an amazing building of Marble, stone and wood.

I have seem many building around the world like this and I still enjoy learning about the architect (3 on this building with interesting stories about each of them), the builders, the craftsmanship.

In the hallway outside the main auditorium were busts of famous composers

Love the stained glass from France

and the amazing work on the tile floors. Have done some tile work and know how much work it would be to do an entire building!

and then the gold leaf and molding in the "golden hall" resembling the great hall of mirrors in Versailles.

Amazing details in a huge building

Claude was proud that it is in a French style

Then into the main auditorium .... seats 3,000 people and is said to be one of the top 5 opera venues in the world due to the near perfect acoustics We had a real treat as they asked if anyone sang. And a women stood and sang Ava Maria. It was wonderful! Really made the tour great! You got to feel the acoustics and enjoy them!

Yup Claude is here

7 floors of seating

and a huge Chandelier.

Once back at the Apartment. Claude was staying in and cooking "at home" which is great after being on the road many months

Always fun to see what people load on there bikes. This guy was loaded down with high end dog food. looks like he is delivering them!

But I decided to join my KiWi friends Dick and Gavin to see a dinner and Tango show. It was the biggest one in town, bit expensive but was worth seeing while I am here!

Another beautiful building done in Art Deco style

Started with a 3 course meal, then the show.

Starter

Missed my photo of the main course

But dessert was great!

The main Tango show.

It was a great performance of Tango dancing!!

Constant motion..... Beautiful Women and their partners twirling, dipping and moving across the stage!

Great evening out on the town!!

Radioman screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 07:00 AM
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #4461
CloneBoy
Future Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Mark, did the air freight company crate it for you or did you have to improvise? How was the cost factor ?

Cant wait to hear more, safe journeys!

When we riding?
CloneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #4462
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
Mark, did the air freight company crate it for you or did you have to improvise? How was the cost factor ?
Will give full details once I have actually delivered my bike to the air freight company. I have just planned the dates with Dakar Motors. Will fill you in soon!

Will be riding up to Uruguay and Brazil before I ship out of Buenos Aires. Still a bit more in South America!!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #4463
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 520
+1 for Motoport
Wayne personally assisted me getting a custom fit, excellent rain suit which was a life saver in my last Alaska trip not just for rain but also cold protection. And the material used is breathable unlike all other rain gear.

I wonder if you had no choice would you have used your old GS after doing some thorough maintenance. My GS1200 has 83k miles but am not in position to buy another bike and I like this one too much to want something else.

Thanks for all your work to post all the updates, I know oftentimes it just feels you need to relax after a full day of riding and events. Really enjoying the RR, and hope one day I may follow some of your tracks.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #4464
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I wonder if you had no choice would you have used your old GS after doing some thorough maintenance. My GS1200 has 83k miles but am not in position to buy another bike and I like this one too much to want something else.
If I was only traveling to South America, I could have easily ridden my R1150GSA. I have 160KM on it and was worried that if I did have mechanical issues getting parts would be a problem......

I choose the F800 because it was a twin, but 250 Lbs lighter and I thought that would be better in some situations after south America.

I would ride your 12GS no Problem.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #4465
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,799
Mark...I'm glad your F800 GS is holding up quite well. I have a friend who had an '09 and it broke under warranty andBMW wouldn't fix it...Very long story there...keep on riding that sucker. Been loving this epic RR and adventure...look forward to much more... :cool: ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #4466
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Buenos Aires

While I am in Buenos Aires I am getting so many details ready for the next step of my ride. It is amazing all the stuff that has to happen for the carnet (will go into the process later). It is not "hard" but you have to do all the steps, also booking flights, arranging for some other gear replacements and other things like money.

Had some spare time so I started cleaning my Bags. They were full of dirt and are not spotless :)

But time to relax, share a nice meal with Claude and Benjamin (hitchhiking around SA then asia for a year)

One of the sculptures called the Thinker made from the original molds (there are 28 around the world). Just down the street

As my Wise KIWI friend said after seeing it , and the deposits of bird dropping on the sculpture...... "if you think too much you will get Shat on"

Some nice building around the square.

We also booked a ferry for Friday morning from Buenos Aires to Colonia, Uruguay. Claude is joining me on a last little ride up the coast of Uruguay into southern beach towns of Brazil. Will be a fun trip

Along with all the online searching, communicating and such.... We had some folks over to our place for socializing

and then across the street for dinner! Diego from BA rides a 650 GS, Claude, Thanasis riding a r1200GSA is from greece, and he was at Christmas party in Ushuaia, Then a woman from Germany and one of Claudes spanish school classmates from Germany Viktor! Was a fun evening. Including the phase "thats Dangerous" and "Not going to happen"

Diego showing us his bike.

Radioman screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 10:21 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #4467
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Had some spare time so I started cleaning my Bags. They were full of dirt and are not spotless :)

I would be interested how do you like these cases so far. Seems they have held up well, even in the crash you had, though I recall one came off when that happened not sure if any repairs were needed. Also if you ever use them as water or fuel reserve.

Thanks again Radioman
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #4468
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I would be interested how do you like these cases so far. Seems they have held up well, even in the crash you had, though I recall one came off when that happened not sure if any repairs were needed. Also if you ever use them as water or fuel reserve.
The Hepco Becker cases have done well. I did epoxy a couple spots after grinding them down on the pavement. But I have not used the Gobi bags for carrying any water...

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #4469
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 654
Are those the same cases you used on the boxer GS? Look familiar.

I continue to enjoy checking on your progress and where you're off to next.

Was looking at maps today...

Thanks for taking us along.
David

PS, for riders you meet who headed this way, be sure to have them PM me
if they need anything here. Once in a while I hear of travelers who have
problems and don't reach out to the Alaska ADV community, which is too
bad since there are many who'll lend a hand. And always up for conversation.
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #4470
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
Are those the same cases you used on the boxer GS? Look familiar.

PS, for riders you meet who headed this way, be sure to have them PM me
if they need anything here. Once in a while I hear of travelers who have
problems and don't reach out to the Alaska ADV community, which is too
bad since there are many who'll lend a hand. And always up for conversation.
Thanks for your Generous offer!! I will be sure to share your kindness with others! :Thumb

The boxes are the same brand, but I ended up buying a used pair for the F800.

*** Will have a large post ... but internet is slow and cannot upload any photos. All I can say is that I made it to Brazil!!! Have a beach side place to stay and it has been fun