User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
wr37 OP
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
2011 990R or 2012 990 Dakar?

Looking at a picking up an adventure. What would you do if you could do it again? I have ridden the 990R and loved it, nice power and good suspension (a little soft) for the riding I like to do, fire roads, broken pavement and the odd 2 track. Anyone have any thoughts on the suspension changes from the 2011 R to the 2012 Dakar. Is it way softer? Is it still fully adjustable for compression and rebound? I am not keen on the ABS but I can live with it if I have to.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 523
I had the same dilemma. I ended up getting a 2011 Dakar edition. AFAIK the R and Dakar suspension is the same, except for travel. I sent my suspension to SuperPlush for an additional 50 mm (S spec) and a re-valve.

I like having the ABS for road use but don't like how KTM disables it. A simple cut-off switch to the ABS so I can disable and enable it easily when riding off road took care of that issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Go for the R if you plan on doing a lot of offload. Both bikes will require suspension work if you really plan on riding hard. James and company at Superplush will set you up nicely.
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 208
Just my 10 cents worth.

I have an 09 990R I found is a bit top heavy so what I did was had it lowered to standard height. I bought an updated softer rear spring. I am 6' 190. It was the best thing I did, I am so much happier with the bike now. So not having to deal with the ABS and having it standard height seems to be the best of all worlds. When I die your going to have to burry me with my KTM 990R!
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Desperate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I have a 07 990 ABS version.

As others have said whether you buy standard or R you still need suspension fixed, too soft so yiu have a cost either way.

I brought the parts ($500 plus springs) and got it extended to S so now I have 265 mm travel, for me who likes the dirt more than the tar having more travel, firmer suspension and greater ground clearance is all important. The bike is far more stable after the stiffer fork springs and re-valve. As it is a heavy sucker I like to get up things first time and been able to push a bit harder with all of the above makes a difference, especially ground clearance.

For the rear end I actually dropped spring rate from 150 to 140 as it was too stiff, now it is much better balanced.

Concerning ABS, I have always been dirt and there is no place for ABS on anything apart from a gravel road, but I wanted ABS on the 990 as you get complacent while road riding as you not always moving around and been generally active and in the zone. So for the big moments on the road having ABS I feel is a valuable safety feature.
Desperate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I don't have the inseam for the R (32") and even on my Dakar I'm on my toes and have to be very careful where I stop. I figure when I add the Safari tanks next month it's really going to be interesting.

As for the ABS just install the regular S brake line and plug the rear ABS in and out holes(Filled with fluid) and you now have a front ABS with a lockable/slidable offroad rear.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
wr37 OP
Woods Racer

Maybe I'm a little confused...nothing new there....I thought the 2012's were all Dakar's - essentially R's power with short suspension. I guess I need to be schooled on models and features. My dealer is an excellent guy, but I am reluctant to call until I know more than him.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr37 View Post
Maybe I'm a little confused...nothing new there....I thought the 2012's were all Dakar's - essentially R's power with short suspension. I guess I need to be schooled on models and features. My dealer is an excellent guy, but I am reluctant to call until I know more than him.
2012 had the 990 adventure. Short suspension, ABS and lower power Map(Compared to the R and Dakar. Easily fixed by uploading the r Map with tune ecu.)

2012 R. Tall suspension, Non ABS and more power then the 990 adventure.

Dakar: short suspension, blue, dakar graphics, ABS and R Map/Power and other things like cheap handguards and suede like seat.

That's the basics and a google of 2012 KTM 990 Adventure will reveal more info on all three. http://www.cycletrader.com/Ktm-Adven...45&vrsn=hybrid
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
As hinted at, you will have to get the suspension done on either bike if you take it offroad a lot. So that kind of nulls the suspension from your choice.
So that leaves ABS - with or without? Having to fit a cut out switch? Or just live with the ABS disable?
And of course the colour. The Dakar is pretty, but a bit bling (IMHO of course!).

There is actually not that much in the choice when you think about it - considering I spent a ton on raising (about 280mm both ends) and tuning my 2011 R suspension - would have been the same cost doing this to the Dakar.

As one poster said, height is not everything - I like tall, my mate likes soft and low, and he rides better than I do right now...
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I don't have the inseam for the R (32") and even on my Dakar I'm on my toes and have to be very careful where I stop. I figure when I add the Safari tanks next month it's really going to be interesting.

As for the ABS just install the regular S brake line and plug the rear ABS in and out holes(Filled with fluid) and you now have a front ABS with a lockable/slidable offroad rear.
32???? Yer a giant!

My 30 inch stubs dangle on both sides of my 990R- If I reeaaalllly stretch, I can scrape a toe on the ground, but that's it. Touching the ground is over rated.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
wr37 OP
Woods Racer

Thanks guys, I guess it will come down to colour. I remember my first race on a 250, I had to stand on two wooden blocks... They laughed.... I won