Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #15586
dave6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TABASCO~ View Post
Dave6,

Good job on that pipe... did you post that video over here ? Maybe a few customers might be interested in that pipe and sound ? Sounds great !
Yup its in here somewhere between all the hard starting stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #15587
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Clearly the S10 DOES have a starting issue

Regardless of "know it all" convincing everyone here that it's all in their head and they don't know how to start a motorcycle.

Sure it doesn't happen all the time. But it does happen and it's happened to mine twice and I was never a dealer, mechanic, expert cycle starter, Internet novel writer but it happen twice out of the blue. I won't bore everyone the details with my two no starts but I can go fiddle with the key on any of my suzukis and they crank regardless. Now I am certain I've opened myself up to the so said superior "know it all" who basically just calls us all idiots in a 1000 word novel of BS. I honestly don't care to engage in that stupidity. It's simple, you turn the key, flip the on off switch it either cranks or it doesn't no magic mouth help properly, no luck, no Internet help, it's basic.

Mine simply did it once while stalling up the toy hauler ramp, wot helped that time. Second time much worse. Worked on auxiliary lights one afternoon, bike was hot and had been running. I even cranked it afterward and the cooling fan was on. Week later rolled it out to go for a errand, bam it turned over popped and never fired again. 30 minutes later after pulling the FI fuse and turning it over it fired once I reinstalled the FI fuse.

So there is no problem, hmmm I'd say yes there is and it's in the electronics. Like I said I can go fiddle with both '11 model suzukis anyway I want and they'll come to life with the roar of a tiger.

But keep chasing that start procedure and I'll continue to be entertained here by it all. Some of this bs that's been spewed is quite simply that bs!!

BTW my throttle cables are loose with slack
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #15588
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I love Dallara. :) And he has helped quite a few folks on forums.

Don't think he is a know it all. But he definitely is a know-a-lot!

Having defended him though, I would just LOVE for him to have a hard-start!
It would make my day. (Evil grin)

And I still think Rockport drivers suck! (2nd evil grin)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #15589
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Re: hard starting, as long as it starts in a few seconds after going WFO, WhoTF cares????????????

Of all the things to anguish about.... jeez.
Pah, that's nothing.

When I has a GSA I followed a thread on UKGSer that rambled on for weeks about the length of time the indicators (turn signals) stayed on. In the UK we have 300m, 200m and 100m count down markers before motorway (highway) exits and the discussion centered around at which marker point it would be best to turn them on.

It was so sad it was funny.

We really have no problems with the Yam
Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #15590
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Pah, that's nothing.

When I has a GSA I followed a thread on UKGSer that rambled on for weeks about the length of time the indicators (turn signals) stayed on.
I better check that. We might have a hard signaling problem as well..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #15591
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,100
DS Bike Protection Tool Box.

Hey folks.. just fitted one of these to my S10. I have a question to any other inmates who may have used one of these.. does it rest against the OEM pannier or is there a gap?

http://dsbikeprotection.com/en/Yamah...l#.UQH996X5FI4

Mine came with no instructions and at first I fitted it up and it rested against the inside of the pannier.

I remounted it by changing around the "order" of where the hangers go on the bolt in relation to the grab handle/spacers etc and it now has clearance.

Is this the right way?

Good looking well made unit.

I just wonder if the hangers should be a bit thicker??

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #15592
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Well my bikes starts in in about 1/2 revolution of the crank.. Even with no forks installed...

But I did install the shifter zert.. Don't have to take it off and clean it any longer !

Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #15593
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Shift lever's looking pretty rusty, you should hit it with some black Rustoleum.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #15594
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Shift lever's looking pretty rusty, you should hit it with some black Rustoleum.
LOL.....

Looking good Jaxon!
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #15595
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Why???

Why do you have that upside down plunger looking thing attached to the underside of your shifter?

[/QUOTE]

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #15596
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Why do you have that upside down plunger looking thing attached to the underside of your shifter?

That's the quick shifter.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #15597
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
That's the quick shifter.
Nah, it's a spin shifter...slow, but steady and sure.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #15598
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Most religions seem to have something to say about that

That is part of the reason for doing it. As you are now aware parts of Australia outside Victoria can be a bit detrimental to your health if you get stuck.

So I want to know the signs and solutions is it happens. I also want to know how it happens so I can avoid it.
because of the interwebs I knew pretty much, in theory, how to deal with it.

I now know how many times the battery will start the bike (30+) without a recharge.

I have also short cycled, started and shut down the bike twice since the hard start and it hasn't missed a beat. The only difference being the battery is now completely charged,

And if I think back on the days of carburetors, I'm not complaining. Really. No more sticky slides, rotating venturis, pump circuits not working, linkages unbolting themselves mid corner...bla bla bla..

I know, all operator error.

They still sell DCOE Webers you know.
Quite the enigma, this condition is. Just as you did, I tried all sorts of ways to induce the hard-start problem on my bike and was 'unsuccessful.' The only time I had any sort of issue was when my GPS drained the battery overnight to the point that the engine barely turned over. Then, and only then, did I experience the pop, sputter and reluctance to start. I gave'er a jump and she fired-off at WFO with a gurgle or two. I've had no issues when the battery is reasonably charged, but am not claiming battery charge state as the cause of other owners' occasional woes either.

I'm definitely not discounting what others are experiencing- just that my SA spec scoot doesn't seem to have the problem. From my experience, a Yahama of any shape or form (with a gasoline engine) seems to generally be more finicky about starting. We have Yammie ATV's at work that are a pain to start from time to time.. Same with the snow mobiles. Honda ATV's experience this type of problem very rarely by comparison. Just my observation.

I'm also reluctant to fault anybody for using an improper starting procedure when the wonders of modern technology should be taking care of this already. I owned one of the first fuel injected, production Japanese bikes (CBR1100XX). You couldn't phase that bike no matter how long (or short) you let it run or what you exposed it to. That was in 1999, so there really isn't an excuse for the issues we are seeing today.

That said, I'm comfortable with the work-around if I ever encounter what some of you are experiencing. It's not a show-stopper for me because this bike does so many things so well.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #15599
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Regardless of "know it all" convincing everyone here that it's all in their head and they don't know how to start a motorcycle.

BTW my throttle cables are loose with slack
There, there, Roy...that's not all that's loose.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #15600
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
I'm also reluctant to fault anybody for using an improper starting procedure when the wonders of modern technology should be taking care of this already. I owned one of the first fuel injected, production Japanese bikes (CBR1100XX). You couldn't phase that bike no matter how long (or short) you let it run or what you exposed it to. That was in 1999, so there really isn't an excuse for the issues we are seeing today.
While I agree that the technology should be bullet-proof, it is not fair to compare today's FI systems (in the USA) with those before mid-2005. From 1998 to 2005, emissions regulations allowed for open-loop fuel injection systems. As tighter regulations were applied in 2006, systems were required to add lambda sensors and function in closed-loop mode during starting and cold running (warm-up periods), before switching to open-loop mode. The closed-loop mode is where 90% of the problems seem to be coming from. Ducati, for instance, had a wonderful open-loop system on the ST2 and ST4/ST4s and the first ST3 ('05) through mid-2005. Beginning in 2006, the ST3/ST3s had a closed-loop system that was full of issues. To my knowledge, all of the fuel injected CBR-1100XX Blackbirds (1999-2003 in the USA) were open-loop FI.

Has anyone identified the closed-loop sensor(s) on the S-10? Are they still lambda sensor(s)? Can they be adjusted for those with this hard starting problem? If the control systems aren't too different, reading about the Ducati solutions in 2006/2007 might actually be educational.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote