Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #2971
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I've seen 10 Downing Street in many news programs and documentaries ...

But what's a poof? Can someone please explain that to this poor redneck?
A man who is gender confused.
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #2972
agentsteel53
some guy

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Sorry for being so quiet for a few days. Sometimes a man has to work. I work in northern Norway and the weather has been pretty shait the last week. Here is a little link of what we do up north.
Hammerfest!

just wanted to say, EtronX, I love your part of the world. was one of my first vacations. (albeit, in a 1.1 liter diesel city car, not a motorcycle!)

agentsteel53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #2973
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Rod - as a member of the Commonwealth, I get the context of the photo...(beyond the poof thing)...

But there's just the teeniest chance you may need to explain that to other North Americans.

(not all, just some).

C
Gee, thanks for the confidence in your neighbors to the south. By the way, you're the one carrying around the "Loonies and Toonies." Take off ehh. Immediately saw the 10 and knew. But then again I saw Thatcher and Regan on the news a lot growing up.

Enough about PMs, poofters, and the American idiot, let's ride. :-)

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels

switchback screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:25 PM
switchback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #2974
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
If you really want the best bike ever made for overland travel, google "c90adventures". you,ll be amazed..
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #2975
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Great knot on that tie. You are a poof. :ymca
Looks like a full "Windsor". What a smooth and suave lad you are Rod!

If you are in Glasgow drop me a PM, perhaps we can have achat over a dram or two of fine malt.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #2976
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmadura View Post
I have a question for Jessie the Poof - er, I mean Rod. I would welcome thoughts from any other team member or inmate!

I currently ride a 2006 Triumph Tiger 955 as my road bike.

And a Kawasaki Slug, um, I mean KLR650 as my commuter/off roader.

There's a real possibility I may need to downsize to one bike in the near future, and the Tiger is getting a bit long in the tooth, while the KLR is, well, a KLR.

I am interested in two possible replacements - the upcoming KTM 1190 Adventure

And the KTM 690R, eventually "Rally Raided" like Rods's bike.

My concerns: Do you feel the 690, kitted a bit, would be a suitable long-ride road bike? Would it have reasonable passing power at freeway speeds (70-95 MPH), and can the range be bumped up to ~220 miles on a tank? The KLR is a pretty comfortable, and RELATIVELY light bike, but has no power for anything. The Tiger is a great long-haul bike, but the 1190 is calling loudly. I guess it boils down to : Will I be able to get away with the 690 as an all-around bike, or should I forget that idea and wait for the 1190 to take the place of my current bikes?

I will probably do VERY little to no dirt when the change is made. Thoughts?

Awesome trip BTW - Thanks for letting me dream to your reality.
Regarding your own bikes I'm sure you have good reasons for having bought even the KLR ( please don't jump in KLR owners) ...I'm just winding you up!

If you do want a genuine do-it-all bike-once you've done all the work listed at the part I jumped in about page 50-it takes some beating. Powerful, economical ( 70mpg Imperial and way over 100mph) on the slab with 16/40 gearing, comfortable, light, handles well and very offroad/river crossing capable-even if this rider isnlt!
I'll park the fuel pump issue as we've talked it to death.
I've a GS1200 too and I just never ride it-I've done about 25 miles since its annual roadworthiness test in May last year. The 690 is that good on the slab and after I left the guys I did about 6500 miles across Asia almost entirely on the slab-it really is that good.

But I think you've answered your question with your last comment about doing VERY little to no dirt
To make a 690 comfortable enough (seat/fairing) to ride for long distance at 70-90mph and to beef up the range to support 200+ mile fill-ups with big or auxilliary tanks -and presumably carry luggage??...costs probably as much as buying a 1190 off the shelf and you've a ton of work to do. Why would you if you're not going to be on the dirt? Just buy a road bike for touring ..............and if you can afford it keep the Wheezer to do a bit of light offroading
Sorted.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #2977
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
On the road to Olkhon

After the mornings small challenges Walter, Terry and I saddled up. The plan was to end up at Nikita's Homestad in the town of Khuzhir on Olkhon Island. Around 400 k's.

We left our own local bikers camp, drove through Irkutsk and set course north. After a couple of hours we stopped for some lunch. We called the rest of the crew to see where they were at. They were still in Irkutsk, and would be for another hour or two. We then decided to meet the guys at Nikita's. Then we could take our time and enjoy the scenery.

The art of traveling light

The landscape in this area is beautiful. It looks a lot like Mongolia with the open steppes and most of the people who live here are of Mongolian descend. They story goes that one of Genghis Khans generals got into an argument with the leader. He and his flock had to leave and since Genghis had conquered all the land east, west and south the only place for them to escape was north. Hence they ended up here.

In the town of Bayanday you make a right turn in order to head for Olkhon. At the intersection there were a lot of local people selling local goods. Mostly fruit and berries they had collected. Walter bought some delicious strawberries which we all enjoyed After having this nice nutritious food Terry got a bit slack eyed and decided it was time for a siesta A good soldier sleeps and eats when he can.

A bit after Bayanday the gravel road starts. So far on this trip traveling with the Sibersky Extrem crew the speeds had been quite moderate. I had seen none of the high speeds they talked so much about. Then we hit the gravel The fine two Dr. Jekyll's that i was riding with turned into Mr. Hyde's. Suddenly it looked like both guys had just stolen the bikes They took of like homesick angels. The smile on both faces increased So this was what it was all about

I had to do my best to keep up with the guys. They were hauling ass. Finally we reached the ferry that would take us over to Olkhon. I was still in one piece One thing I like about the ferries in Russia is that if they are a part of the road they are free. Not so in Norway, but then again I guess we can't afford it

From the ferry to Khuzhir it was all gravel and the pace increased. "Holy cow, either I will make it or I will brake it" I had a really hard time following the guys, but after a little while my shoulders came down, the Tibetan Death Grip on the handlebars loosened up and I started to enjoy this It was really fun going fast on these roads.

After some hairy ass riding we came to Khuzhir and we took some pictures. The rock that you see in the background is Shaman Rock. A very sacred place for the Buddhists. They believe that the Shaman lives inside this rock.

It was a good experience being here. I felt good vibes. Next time I will spend a few days here.

Sooo, to all you followers. Your daily dose I advise you to look carefully at the beach picture

The beach

Then we did the standard posing pictures First out is our great leader. The one and only Mr. Colebatch

Then the groupies Terry and I

The bikes

And finally the rest of the crew arrived and we took the group photo

Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #2978
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

The ironwork on the step of "10" dates from the days of horse drawn traffic when the streets were full of equine exhaust products.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #2979
pdegroote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
The ironwork on the step of "10" dates from the days of horse drawn traffic when the streets were full of equine exhaust products.
Still useful today, as the equine exhaust products have been superseded by canine exhaust products
pdegroote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #2980
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
If you really want the best bike ever made for overland travel, google "c90adventures". you,ll be amazed..
Terry, This is brilliant!

Guys. Look at the Iran update! . It's a real eyeopener and shows how things as we say ad nauseam, are shown to us the way our politicians want us to see it-not how they actually are . People are just people, not the monsters they'd have us all believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2LEgowbzSc

Anyone for an Iran trip??
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #2981
BDG
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Rod for Prime Minister after that last photo. Repeal the 2006 NERC Act and make Adventure Riding a compulsory part of the school syllabus.

I'll vote for you.

I'm a very efficient idiot.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #2982
motorfret
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post

Count me in...
motorfret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #2983
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
I watched his Iran-update. It just made my day.

So Rod, after personally handing the transcript of this RR to the PM, next time point him to c90adventures. We may all benefit from that.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #2984
Sweden

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post

The adventure trip of my dreams, Iran! The stories Ive red tells me I have to go there.

And thank you everyone for writing this RR. Been reading it for weeks and you have all set a new standard for all future RR. Its better written than a lot of books. Makes me want to fulfill my dreams.

Stefan

420 screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 08:04 AM
420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #2985
JediMaster
Adam Lewis

Thumb Iranian hospitality

Here's the welcome me and my buddy got from BMW Iran when we rode through there in 2006...

Great country, great people. I'd return in a heartbeat and all being well that'll be next spring.

As for the youtube video. WTF has a 30 year old poster of Noel Edmunds on their wall???

As for the photo of Rod at #10....Mr Glair ?

ShortWayRound/Facebook

ShortWayRound Smugmug Gallery

Trails of North America...a photo journal

Trails of South America (PtI)... a photo journal

"The brave may not live forever - but the cautious do not live at all" - unknown philosopher
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote