ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #20146
pplassm
Brace for collision!
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central VA
Oddometer: 2,542
Thanks, higworld. I can't believe that happened. I swear I rode it up onto the trailer for delivery.

I really liked travelling on that bike. I know it will treat you as well.
__________________
Pete
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #20147
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer
 
DirtDoctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: North Chesterfield,VA
Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

I've personally been waiting for winter to return to the east coast. I'd love to do an Elephant Treffen at Laurel Fork in January. They are legendary in Germany. But it just hasn't been cold or snowy enough to try to set it up. But this week has really made me want to do it.

jeff
That is cool.
__________________
Greg
'07 BMW R1200 GSA,'62 Ducati 200 Elite SS,'61 BMW R50/2,'05 Honda CRF 230F/Baha Kit
DirtDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #20148
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Even though we had a WTF moment before it ever hit the garage, the old girl is now chilling out in a 25 degree garage. (Side stand switch --- amazing what a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing will do).

I know it's not the "Kawasaki Way", but I do need to polish her up. She's been away from a bath and a detail for awhile. And of course, the farkling needs to begin in earnest.

I took a short spin just now. It's quite a different ride from the GS. Or any other bike I've had, for that matter. Really dives left/right on slow speed turns. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's not an easy bike to handle when creeping. :-/

Now ... to keep from going back out to the garage and tinkering ... :-)
That's a common malady on those bikes when the temps get waaay down. A little moisture gets up in the switch, it freezes, and the plunger sticks or gets sluggish.

Every so often I'll slip a WD40 tube up inside the bellows and give it a quick shot. Of course, you have to stand on your head to even see the switch, let alone do the deed.

Another trick is to just allow the bike to sit and idle for a spell. Heat from the pipes usually thaw things out in short order.

And congrats!! I think you'll enjoy it.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #20149
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
That is cool.
http://www.createforum.com/mtrc/view...10&mforum=mtrc

After looking at these pictures of the '07 elephant treffen, can only come to one conclusion : I am a giant puss.

sample:
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #20150
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 1,057
Hey guys. Is there any way to keep this site from logging me out so quickly? I am constantly having to log in and sometimes in the middle of writing up a post.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #20151
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lanexa, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Hey guys. Is there any way to keep this site from logging me out so quickly? I am constantly having to log in and sometimes in the middle of writing up a post.
Have never experienced what you are saying about ADV logging you out. Weird.
__________________
Greater Williamsburg Tag Map

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #20152
higworld
Bring Me Meat!
 
higworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: HIGWORLD.com
Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Hey guys. Is there any way to keep this site from logging me out so quickly? I am constantly having to log in and sometimes in the middle of writing up a post.
I haven't experienced that either. When you log in, do you tell it to remember you? Sounds like a cookie is expiring.
__________________
Rick Higgins

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #20153
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR
 
MAN OF BLUES's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: BatCountry ...near the Ville-of-Paine
Oddometer: 3,221
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Even though we had a WTF moment before it ever hit the garage, the old girl is now chilling out in a 25 degree garage. (Side stand switch --- amazing what a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing will do).

I know it's not the "Kawasaki Way", but I do need to polish her up. She's been away from a bath and a detail for awhile. And of course, the farkling needs to begin in earnest.

I took a short spin just now. It's quite a different ride from the GS. Or any other bike I've had, for that matter. Really dives left/right on slow speed turns. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's not an easy bike to handle when creeping. :-/

Now ... to keep from going back out to the garage and tinkering ... :-)
HEHEHEHEH... there are a couple foibles (sp?) with the Concours in general, but they all are easily fixed.... stand switch (and clutch lever switch) interlocks CAN be defeated easily when they occur.... ask Guy to send you a picture of the "Jumper Plug" for the sidestand. but the WD-40 squirt has always worked for my Conni's...
Biggest issue I dealt with as a Past Tech Editor with COG ( as was Guy also) was the propensity for water condensation in the tank, when stored half full, and the consquences that had on the low speed carb circuits that control below 3000 rpm rideability. Keep the tank filled with fresh gas. and ride it a lot....makes them run great.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #20154
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR
 
MAN OF BLUES's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: BatCountry ...near the Ville-of-Paine
Oddometer: 3,221
Laugh

WOW..just looked at the weather map for you guys.....
shut down the schools....run out right now for bread and milk......

bwaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

they don't shut the schools down here on the Coast of Lake Erie....and we can always get bread and milk.....and beer.....and Bourbon.......

we saw the sun for the first time this year yesterday.

I looked at all my bikes again this morn....when I was firing up the snowblower....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #20155
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
HEHEHEHEH... there are a couple foibles (sp?) with the Concours in general, but they all are easily fixed.... stand switch (and clutch lever switch) interlocks CAN be defeated easily when they occur.... ask Guy to send you a picture of the "Jumper Plug" for the sidestand. but the WD-40 squirt has always worked for my Conni's...
Biggest issue I dealt with as a Past Tech Editor with COG ( as was Guy also) was the propensity for water condensation in the tank, when stored half full, and the consquences that had on the low speed carb circuits that control below 3000 rpm rideability. Keep the tank filled with fresh gas. and ride it a lot....makes them run great.
You mean this one?





.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #20156
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA
Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Have never experienced what you are saying about ADV logging you out. Weird.
When you log in are you checking the little box that reads "remember me" or "remember my password"?

I have never been logged out...

Hot off the press! New GS review!: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...gs_first_ride/
__________________
Me: BMW R1200GS KTM 525EXC. Gabriel: KTM 50. Elena: Honda CRF70. Lynn: Official Gatorade/snack girl!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 09:47 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #20157
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kwn306's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
You mean this one?





.
So I need to do something like that on the clutch switch of my KLR? I have two colored wires w/ stripes and a black wire if my memory is correct.
__________________
Kurt Nordstrom
Spotsylvania, VA
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #20158
higworld
Bring Me Meat!
 
higworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: HIGWORLD.com
Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
So I need to do something like that on the clutch switch of my KLR? I have two colored wires w/ stripes and a black wire if my memory is correct.
Hey Kurt ... what handlebars did you have on the Connie you recently traded in? I found them very comfortable when I sat on the bike at Mortons.
__________________
Rick Higgins

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #20159
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kwn306's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Hey Kurt ... what handlebars did you have on the Connie you recently traded in? I found them very comfortable when I sat on the bike at Mortons.
Flanders, Mini Apes, had them powder coated black and filled them with liquid bar snake, I think they were 9" tall.
__________________
Kurt Nordstrom
Spotsylvania, VA
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #20160
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
So I need to do something like that on the clutch switch of my KLR? I have two colored wires w/ stripes and a black wire if my memory is correct.
I'm going to plead ignorance here, because I've never really looked at the lever switch arrangement on my bike.... altho' I did take a (very) brief gander at it a little while ago. Cold as a well digger's arse out there so I didn't linger.

Some of the images I've seen of the lever ass'y has a small plug going into the switch. The harness side of that plug goes into the main harness group via the connector group (under the cover) behind the instrument cluster. Having said that, and if that is the case, you won't have a mating connector to use such a jumper. The one I showed came off of a Connie sidestand switch that went kaput. The leads coming out of it had a pigtail with that connector on the end, which then plugged into the main wiring harness. I cut off the connector end of that pigtail and jumpered all the wires. I carry it JIC I have a (it's a really fooked moment) issue on the road with the switch. Unplug the existing switch connector, and plug in jumper.

If I get back out there before you do when it warms up a little, I'll take a closer look. I THINK, to eliminate the switch on the KLR, it would be the same as that on the Connie, i.e., all three wires would need to be jumpered together. Both require grounding scheme for the clutch engaged, and disengaged positions to activate the appropriate circuits to allow the bike to start, and continue to run should the bike be in gear and/or the sidestand is in the down position.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014