Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #76
SkiMan
Nora's freezin' on the...

Oddometer: 127
If the Hyperstrada is able to get 40-45, it rises closer to the top of my list. Just need to see and sit on it at the show.
SkiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #77
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,140
This bike moved Ducati to the top of my next bike to buy list. I'm going to swing by the Euro bike dealership on my way to work today an ask if/when they are expecting to get any Hyperstradas in.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #78
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
It's an Italian NC700X!
Please don't compare this bike to that honda. It's just wrong. Sure it's sensible for a Ducati, but it's no where NEAR Honda sensible (very good thing in my book )

I 'discovered' the bike at the NYC show. Found it to be fantastically comfortable for my thin 5'9" frame. The touring seat that Ducati has fitted was very supportive, and felt like it would do a good job of evenly distributing the tush. The bike looks great in the metal, especially that pearl white. While it took a bit of looking to fully see the bike, I don't think it's ugly. Certainly not when compared to a Tiger 800 .

Only downside I that because it was on the stand, couldn't really get a feel for the weight and real seat height of the bike. Although from the Ducati website it claims the seat height is 31.7-33 inches so I guess there is some adjustment in there?

And because this thread needs more pictures in it.

Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #79
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Stopped by Eurosport Cycles in Fort Worth today and asked when/if they were getting one. Their inventory shows a White one getting there in April but they said it's common for Ducati to be a month off so they may not get it in till May. I'll be stationed in California by the time May rolls around but I know where the Duc shop is in San Diego and plan on stopping by there a lot.

I really don't want to buy a cali spec model though so I told the Texas place I'd be back eventually for a Hyperstrada if I liked it when I saw it in person.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #80
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Stopped by Eurosport Cycles in Fort Worth today and asked when/if they were getting one. Their inventory shows a White one getting there in April but they said it's common for Ducati to be a month off so they may not get it in till May. I'll be stationed in California by the time May rolls around but I know where the Duc shop is in San Diego and plan on stopping by there a lot.

I really don't want to buy a cali spec model though so I told the Texas place I'd be back eventually for a Hyperstrada if I liked it when I saw it in person.
Perhaps I'm mis remembering but aren't all new bikes in the US 50 state models?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #81
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

When I was in Cali last I stopped by there and all the bikes had extra charcoal canisters hanging off the side of them. The Aprilias stood out the most.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #82
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
When I was in Cali last I stopped by there and all the bikes had extra charcoal canisters hanging off the side of them. The Aprilias stood out the most.
At least as of a few years ago, I'm pretty sure that the only company that makes specific versions for CA is Harley. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) the rest are all 50-state legal. There may be a few other bikes that have a 49-state and a CA version, but the numbers would have to be pretty small. Either that or some companies just don't sell certain models in CA...like Suzuki with their TU250.

For what it's worth, every imported bike that I've bought (ok that'd be all of them) over the last several years have all had charcoal canisters. That's been a mix of bikes bought in TX, CO, and in CA, from BMW, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, and Triumph. Aprilia and Harley are bad about just slapping the canisters on with no real thought as to where it should go or how it looks...most other makers at least try to hide them a bit.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #83
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
I really don't want to buy a cali spec model though
As has been said, every Ducati imported into the US since at least 2000 has been a "Cali spec model"... unless of course they've changed in the past couple years, which I doubt.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't sell my current Hyper and get a Hyperstrada instead. I see Ducati is supposed to be at the bike show next month, I guess I'll have to go again this year after all.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #84
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,457
Speaking with my local “Big Box” motorcycle dealer he indicated the Hyperstrada would be available late March but didn’t know for sure which isn’t a big surprise.
Speaking with another not so local dealer he knew when the bikes would arrive at his shop in mid April, he also said he had a training weekend to go to in March to learn all about the bike and would update me once he was back from that.

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #85
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 613
I saw the bike today.

My big problem with it is they had it set up next to a Hyper SP. I love the SP.

Overlooking that and getting back to the strada... I'm not a big fan of the feel of the new cable operated clutch. The bags look kinda small, and are fabric covered? I was there about 20 minutes after the show opened and already the bags were scuffed by people's boots hitting them when they got on/off the bike. I can only imagine what a PITA it will be to clean them after riding through the inevitable bug swarm, rain storm, etc.

I didn't look too closely but a tank bag would be a PITA to mount? Maybe no worse than my current Hyper but initial impression was the seat/body panels fit closer so it'd be harder to run straps to a bag? I dunno.

Other than that, I liked it. I could probably live with the smaller bags, could always add a top box if it's an issue. The clutch I'd likely get used to - it just didn't feel as smooth to me. The shifter was easier to reach. I thought the front end looked better than the SP version, and I like the wheels better on the Strada than the SP.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm not wild about spending more money on a bike this soon after buying the 796. I'm also sure a dedicated sport touring bike would work better for the trip I have planned this summer. I suppose I could sell my 750GT that rarely gets ridden... that plus my current hyper and I'd probably have enough left over to buy the 900ss I've been jonesing after too.

Decisions decisions...
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #86
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
You know, I have been wanting a Hyper for years. If I got one it was going to get some cases on it one way or another. I've ridden the 796 and an 1100 S from a few years ago, and for the type of roads I ride either would be right on point. The front fork leaves me wondering though. If its like the 796 (Which I would rather have over the 1100 honestly) its frankly a non starter to me, because I'd have to basically swap in a better fork. I'm 240lbs and while I really dig the 796 on paper riding it reminded me of when I was a kid whipping around on my YZ490 on the backroads around my house; more wallow than a pig with a large mud hole all to his lonesome. I get that the average bike is set up for joe average at roughly 170lbs, but if I can't set up a fork for my weight (without buying a new fork)then I can't be bothered. If I'm not mistaken the 796's fork had minimal adjustment and you could only swap out the spring in one fork leg. I was ready to pick one of them up, and at first thought the sales person was blowing smoke when they said I'd probably should just buy the 1100 just so I would be able set the suspension up right for my weight. Needless to say I wasn't liking the idea of spending upwards of 2 grand on top of the price of the bike so I passed. Hopefully Ducati put an equivalent fork on the Hyperstrada that the Hyper 1100 SP had, but I doubt it.

Beyond the suspension stuff, given how many gremlins two of my riding buddies have had with their new (less than a year for both) Ducs, I may say forget it and get something completely different (from a different manufacturer) when the time comes.

Oscar Wilde
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #87
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultravoyageant View Post
You know, I have been wanting a Hyper for years. If I got one it was going to get some cases on it one way or another. I've ridden the 796 and an 1100 S from a few years ago, and for the type of roads I ride either would be right on point. The front fork leaves me wondering though. If its like the 796 (Which I would rather have over the 1100 honestly) its frankly a non starter to me, because I'd have to basically swap in a better fork. I'm 240lbs and while I really dig the 796 on paper riding it reminded me of when I was a kid whipping around on my YZ490 on the backroads around my house; more wallow than a pig with a large mud hole all to his lonesome. I get that the average bike is set up for joe average at roughly 170lbs, but if I can't set up a fork for my weight (without buying a new fork)then I can't be bothered. If I'm not mistaken the 796's fork had minimal adjustment and you could only swap out the spring in one fork leg. I was ready to pick one of them up, and at first thought the sales person was blowing smoke when they said I'd probably should just buy the 1100 just so I would be able set the suspension up right for my weight. Needless to say I wasn't liking the idea of spending upwards of 2 grand on top of the price of the bike so I passed. Hopefully Ducati put an equivalent fork on the Hyperstrada that the Hyper 1100 SP had, but I doubt it.

Beyond the suspension stuff, given how many gremlins two of my riding buddies have had with their new (less than a year for both) Ducs, I may say forget it and get something completely different (from a different manufacturer) when the time comes.
At 110kg (240lbs if you insist, but feudal measures mess with my mind) you would need to re-spring either the 796 or the 1100. Or most other bikes for that matter. Whilst 110kg is merely large, on a bikes like these your weight is about around 60% of the dry weight of the bike. Any salesman that fosters the impression that the preload & damping adjusters can cure the ills of springs specified for riders 2/3rds your weight is either blowing smoke up your freckle or spinning a line to flog a bike that when the new model hits will become a showroom orphan. This strategy can only be effective if you let it and a set of fork springs plus a shock spring costs way less than 2 grand.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #88
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

This has been my big problem with the Hyperstrada is the lack of adjustable front suspension, I am of average size and weight IE 160# and 5’8” so theoretically the factory set up should work well enough…..theoretically.
In my mind $14K USD should get you adjustable front suspension…..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #89
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
This has been my big problem with the Hyperstrada is the lack of adjustable front suspension, I am of average size and weight IE 160# and 5’8” so theoretically the factory set up should work well enough…..theoretically.
In my mind $14K USD should get you adjustable front suspension…..
Indeed. Pet peave and crazy that there's no adjustability for that kind of money. The fact that it says "Ducati" on the side makes it all the more painful and all the inexcusable. I'm also waiting on fuel economy readings from the real world. My "all-round" bike has to turn in decent mpg's at commuter running.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #90
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Indeed. Pet peave and crazy that there's no adjustability for that kind of money. The fact that it says "Ducati" on the side makes it all the more painful and all the inexcusable. I'm also waiting on fuel economy readings from the real world. My "all-round" bike has to turn in decent mpg's at commuter running.
Agreed, there should be no reason why it shouldn't get 45MPG.....

What do the 1100 Hypers get?