User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,308
Thumb Yes

I have been thinking of buying Husqvarna's TE449, and trying to live with the narrow ratio 6speed, or KTM's 450exc and taking a chance on reliability. (I know, I've heard both sides).
Because nothing else comes close to want I want in a weekender motorcycle. Other than Suzuki's DR650 which IMO is just a bit too much of a good thing.

So....YES I will buy one of these! IF it has a wide-ratio 6 speed.
The looks are right on the money for what I want!!!

Can't wait for more info.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Not the 450 EXC, but the 350/500 EXC. Newer tech; rave reviews.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #33
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,271
sooooo..... even if that service column is 10000, you are still supposed to replace the crank & bearings at 10,000k (6000 miles)?? thats a summer's ridin'.... mebby 2 tops. that would give one pause... an expensive total rebuild every couple years... not interested if that is the case

on the other hand, I need the bike this represents.... as noted, wide ratio 6 speed, injected, 40+ hp, (50 is better), decent suspension, lighter than a DR, enough stator power to run a vest & some lights.... possibly a bigger gastank

who will deliver?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Te-610 / te-630.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 10:23 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #35
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
sooooo..... even if that service column is 10000, you are still supposed to replace the crank & bearings at 10,000k (6000 miles)?? thats a summer's ridin'.... mebby 2 tops. that would give one pause... an expensive total rebuild every couple years... not interested if that is the case...
I would agree, although I imagine the figures on that service sheet refer to 'competition use', as the G450X engine/bike was originally designed as a competitor to the other European Enduro bikes, and the Husky TE449 continues that tradition of a 'hard enduro' (to use KTM's nomenclature).

I'm sure if used in the role CCM have in mind for it (ie. 'trail' riding), then the requirement for major servicing/component replacement is far lower and intervals can be significantly extended? - similar to EXCs etc used for dual-sport riding?

Sure a small sump [if they haven't increased oil capacity] means typically 1000 mile oil changes to be safe, but I imagine the rest of the internals shouldn't need much attention in day to day use?

I guess there is always going to be a compromise [particularly for small manufacturers who have to buy-in engines] as there are very few modern 450cc engines to choose from that aren't competition orientated these days?

At least this BMW engine produces good power for it's size and weight, which means the overall package should be far more nimble than the 650cc class adventure bikes...

I think what CCM have done here is essentially produced an off-the-shelf 'adventurised' European Enduro bike - it may not suit everyone, but at least that option is now out there?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #36
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet);20554781
Sure a small sump [if they haven't increased oil capacity
means typically 1000 mile oil changes to be safe, but I imagine the rest of the internals shouldn't need much attention in day to day use?

Jx
if you look at bartons experience with his 70degree berg from the husaberg adventure team (ok its a 570 but essentially the same engine as the 450/390) he's changing oil on average every 40 hours compared to the 15 hours in the manual and an oil filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change. he's clocked up over 20,000miles now with no ill affects and no need to adjust valves etc after riding back from the record attempt in south america back to north america, so these competition engines can be very good in a non race enviroment

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #37
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
if you look at bartons experience with his 70degree berg from the husaberg adventure team (ok its a 570 but essentially the same engine as the 450/390) he's changing oil on average every 40 hours compared to the 15 hours in the manual and an oil filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change. he's clocked up over 20,000miles now with no ill affects and no need to adjust valves etc after riding back from the record attempt in south america back to north america, so these competition engines can be very good in a non race enviroment
Yes- similarly I have a friend who did over 17,000 miles on a KTM400EXC (admittedly the older RFS design) trail riding and traveling in both Spain and Morocco, with nothing but regular oil changes and a valve check once a year...

Even her current generation 400EXC has been to Spain and back with no problems - well, other than the limited comfort from the stock seat... that engine is sound too...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #38
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,298
They could increase the oil capacity by adding some in the frame like other bikes. Could add another 500-600ml, wouldn't that increase oil change intervals?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #39
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
sooooo..... even if that service column is 10000, you are still supposed to replace the crank & bearings at 10,000k (6000 miles)?? thats a summer's ridin'.... mebby 2 tops. that would give one pause... an expensive total rebuild every couple years... not interested if that is the case

on the other hand, I need the bike this represents.... as noted, wide ratio 6 speed, injected, 40+ hp, (50 is better), decent suspension, lighter than a DR, enough stator power to run a vest & some lights.... possibly a bigger gastank

who will deliver?
is this true? the maintenance part of the 449 etc?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:

who will deliver?
The KTM 530 EXC I sold in spring 2012 had 450 hours on it when it left - the motor had never been any further apart than valve checks and a few shims.

Burned no oil and still had OK leak down numbers, more off road than on road use as well. Not my choice for running down the highway at 100 km/h but I would not be afraid of racking up the mileage on one. The new owner decided to freshen it up over this winter whereas I may have left it for one more year, depending on what the valve adjustments, oil burn and leak down tests told me.

Replaced with a Husky TXC 449 (kissing cousin to the TE 449, same engine but a little bit different suspension) and I am already over the same column (10,000km in Street Usage) in the "Competition Use" Maintenance Schedule (70 Hours) and have no intention of worrying about a lot of the recommended 70 hour replacements till at least 250-280 hours.

Edit:
The emission passing Husky 449's are ~46.5HP (crank) and ~51HP (crank) with the power up kit and Akro exhaust (but no longer meeting emissions).

jasonmt screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 10:23 AM
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #41
gravelklr
gravelklr

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
We can't even get an XTZ, I doubt we'll see this beauty.
Exactly, Mud...
gravelklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
I'd love to see one in the States but this is likely as close as I am going to get....
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I'm sorry, but a narrow 5-speed transmission is DEAD-ON-ARRIVAL here.
... a properly spaced 6-speed is better for these applications.
Have you forwarded your contact details to the various R&D departments?

If not, please do... exactly what I will be looking for.
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #44
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
nice but...

Not enough chrome for the usa.... we love harley davidson, chrome and excess weight... add a chrome plated, lead anchor with a loud pipe and it will be perfect for the Ol' USA
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #45
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Love it! Bring it!
aviatorbdm is offline   Reply With Quote