Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #1321
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
Whew!

Well I'm relieved.

Good job John as always.

The pictures will be amazing.

As will the trip from Puerto Obladia onwards!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #1322
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
brilliant!

Most excellent update...

I was making fun of those poor and lost souls that crossed the gap on GIRAG, but you put my own 9 day crossing on a barely functionning sailboat hitting 3 storms tearing our sails (and taking a part of my bike down to the bottom of the caribean sea in the process) to shame....

Well done once again! and Happy new year by the way
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #1323
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Good to have you back!

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #1324
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
And he emerges from the dark side of the moon alive and nu-molested by aliens.

I look forward to this thread every day. I check it before I check my email. Glad the wheels are rolling again.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #1325
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,685
Great!!!!!
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #1326
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Excellent!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #1327
Cousteau
...seeking adventure

Oddometer: 61
Taking the slow boat

Juanito,

After some serious Google Maps searching I found Puerto Obdalia as a little airstrip still hundreds of km before the Panama-Colombia border. If I had to take a guess folks, at the speed John's boat is moving his Colombian adventures are like still ten days to two weeks out before they start up again.

That said, I'm sure John is getting a view of Kuno living like few have seen. Can't wait to read how the rest of the voyage goes.
Cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1328
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousteau View Post
Juanito,

After some serious Google Maps searching I found Puerto Obdalia as a little airstrip still hundreds of km before the Panama-Colombia border.

Must have the wrong Puerto Obdalia He is at the one not more than a few km before the Colombia border at the airport in the clouds, notice the scale in the lower left:

He's now probably looking for a new Colombia boat to take him on South to Turbo where the roads start. I'd imagine it might take him two boats, one to Zapzurro and another on to Turbo, his bike might be on another boat as from what I hear in that area that passengers and freight don't mix as well.

He's getting close
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #1329
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
This morning started out calm making 4 deliveries on the 5th day at sea. And then we went out into the open ocean around a peninsula. Today was the wildest ride yet. I'm no sailor so have nothing to compare it to, but we were the only boat out yesterday in the open ocean in steady 5-6 foot swells with occasional 10 foot sets that would rock the boat back and forth like a cork since we were running parallel to the swell. Because we have unloaded 1000 sacks of cement and over 1000 cases of beer the boat was riding 5 feet out of the water and the sea didn't wash over the main deck, but I was standing on the main deck trying to surf as long as possible without grabbing the pole and some sets of swells were coming up to the horizon when we were in the trough, so probably 10 feet high. I tried to photograph the waves, but like steep gravel roads, it is hard to get a feel for how it was on film with nothing for comparison:

I can't believe I haven't experienced any seasickness rocking and rolling down the coast. I'm not sure why not, but it would have been rough if I had been sick to my stomach as well.

The Kuna villages down here are more traditional. One stop in a bay had us riding in circles while these dudes paddled out for a living room set delivery. Here they are paddling back to shore with the couch and chair:

they paddled back a half mile for the other overstuffed chair and etagere. Pretty wild delivery in a three foot rolling swell. Seems so odd to be delivering western furniture to people in grass huts. Whatever floats their boat. Literally.

Here we are finally getting close to Puerto Obaldia:

The pier is too shallow to dock at so the Lya del Mar anchored in the bay and let the gringos off into a launcha. We motored to shore and went through the army checkpoint. The migracion and aduana are closed until 8 tomorrow, so the rasta boys and I wandered the streets. Stopped at a restaurant to eat and across the street to a pandaria (bakery) for pastry dessert. Then found an internet place where I am uploading this before heading off to the soccer field down by the sea to camp for the night.

It is the morning now on Friday as I type this in my tent. I'm not sure how I'm getting to Turbo where the roads start. This is as far as the Lya del Mar goes. I'll get stamped out of Panama later this morning and head back to the boat where the motorcycle still is and see if the captain Cierra can get me a launcha somewhere. Rather than off loading the bike to shore and waiting for a cargo boat, I think the smart money is on getting the heck out of here and over to Colombia, I'm ready for some riding even if I have to pay a bit more for a launcha.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:28 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #1330
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
FanTAStic reading, John!

Thank you for the incredible job, bringing us along with you.

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #1331
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
This being the case, Juanito would somehow have them cutting a path through the jungle, taking pictures on the sherpa and wishing him a feliz viaje on the other side.
That is totally true. Juanito is just like the honey badger.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #1332
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700

Haha, I had my bike on a boat like this on the Maranon River in Peru, it must be a real hoot on the ocean!

Vive Juanito!!

ps - am I the only one that can't see the pics in the last few posts?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #1333
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post

Haha, I had my bike on a boat like this on the Maranon River in Peru, it must be a real hoot on the ocean!

Vive Juanito!!

ps - am I the only one that can't see the pics in the last few posts?

I thunk he just uploaded the articles that he wrote on the "road"with placemarks for the pics but hasnt uploaded the pics yet due to connection
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1334
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
I can't see them
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #1335
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
It's Friday and I thought I would bring this up to date while I spend the day uploading as many photos as possible on this really slow internet connection. I went to immigration this morning at 8. Here is the building:

and then down to aduana which is the same building as the internet place. It is unmarked but easy to find:

Had breakfast with Matt and Carlos and met some folks coming north at the immigration building. They pointed us to an old villager who runs a panga. He isn't a jacked up narco trafficker by night so they said he takes it easy on the heavy seas and doesn't bang through the swells as much. Sounds good to me. So we talked to Marcelino and he said the Lya del Mar is going around the point to a pier tomorrow. This is news to me. So I guess tomorrow we will meet Marcelino at the pier in La Miel where unloading the bike from the Lya de Mar will be easier as well as loading into his panga. He agreed to take the rasta boys and me along with the Sherpa up to Capurgana for 80 bucks. So 40 for them and 40 for me. Sounds good to me. So we will call him on the captains cell phone when we leave here tomorrow and he'll meet us at the dock in La Miel and take us up to Capurgana.

Capurgana is where Colombian immigration is located. So after unloading the bike and getting stamped in to Colombia we will still have to figure out how to get across the bay to Turbo where the road starts. These things have a way of working out if you're patient. I think it helps to look like a bum and speak some Spanish so they don't try to charge you gringo prices. I have the hobo look after 8 days on a Kuna cargo boat, so I have the poor traveler demeanor covered.

Here is a picture of downtown Puerto Obaldia:

I have heard it described as a bleak place in ride reports. I think it is great. Nice people. Tons of Cuban refugees looking to head north. It feels Caribe almost little Havana with pastel houses with tin roofs and Caribe music in the streets. Lots of people hanging out waiting for the next flight, fishing off the pier with just a line and hook. Not sure why so many Cuban refugees are here, but I think it has to do with Panama not allowing people from Cuba to arrive by boat, so this is the cheap airport to catch a plane north to Panama City. Lots of Cuban doctors, nurses and professionals who escaped to South America and several flying in daily from Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia and various other airports. I'm starting to see a lot of beautiful Colombian and Cuban women walking around. I like Colombia already and I'm still 5 miles away.

So I am hanging out at the internet cafe all day waiting to head out tomorrow. There are Cubans on my right and left jabbering and excited to have made it out of their country one way or another. The women are on Facebook, with 8 chat sessions open touch typing with blazing speed. They all want to go to America and sneak in to get work with relatives in Florida, New York and Las Vegas. I want to tell them it perhaps isn't all it's cracked up to be, but obsessions die hard. As you well know if you've been following this ride report. Anyway, persecuted refugees fleeing hard times are deep in my ancestry and my forefathers came to America centuries ago looking for a better life, so who am I to tell these folks different. It's part of what makes the U.S. the amazing melting pot that keeps adding new energy as time goes on.

more later…..

JDowns screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 02:18 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote